E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > water pump DIY on xDrive

03-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
SM335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

water pump DIY on xDrive

Hey guys, so recently my car started overheating and I instantly knew it was the water pump/thermostat issue. I have a 2010 BMW 335 xDrive with 91,000 miles on it. I didn't want to pay extra money to have someone change it and decided to do it myself. I mainly want to encourage people with this thread. I have no mechanic experience and don't have the best tools, but I was able to do this in my drive way on some jack stands. The process is simple honestly, nothing about it is hard, only time consuming. I took a couple of days to do it cause I have like no free time. I worked on it starting 7-8pm in the dark with the flashlight. If I can do it, you can do it! Here are some steps that I did:

1. Took off the plastic shield and metal oil pan shield
2. Disconnected the power steering bracket on the passenger side
3. Disconnected the sway bar on both sides to have it free swinging (this helps a lot)
4. Took off the passenger side wheel and removed the fender liner to access the pump/hoses
5. 10mm socket/wrench to undo thermostat to water-pump bolts. There is room, no need to drop the sub-frame.
6. E12 socket to remove 2 water-pump bolts.
7. To expose the 3rd water-pump bolt, slide out the metal clip on the water-pump by pulling on it. This is the clip holding the wire that plugs to thermostat.
8. Use 6mm socket to undo the clamp and remove the water pump-to-thermostat hose, let the coolant escape.
9. Use 6mm socket to undo the clamp and remove the hose behind the thermostat
10. Use a flat head screw driver to slide up the quick release clamp and remove the hoses. These were the hardest for me because they were either cooked on or because of surface tension. Just wiggle the hose and they will come off.
11. Pull out the thermostat in the space you have between the sub-frame and interooler.
12. Remove the water pump plug, which gives access to clamp in next step.
13. After the plug is removed, move to the side and use 6mm socket to undo the clamp and remove hose going to water pump.
14. Pull out the water pump in the space you have between the sub-frame and interooler.

-Make sure to have a 2+ gallon tub under the car before removing hoses. With every hose removed, coolant will come out.
-Undo all the bolts first before the hoses. This gives slight room to move the thermostat or water pump a little while removing hoses.
-good time to wipe all the grime in that side of the engine.

Goodluck, PM with any questions
Appreciate 2