BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

03-18-2016, 11:03 PM   #1
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Got a F80 LCI and I find the MDM is good enough to get power down but a little too restrictive cornering. I've read that US MDM is quite restrictive and the euro MDM is less and will actually allow the car to rotate. Ie look like a pro and drift the car out a little. I cannot get the car to kick out at all. Got me thinking it's the restrictive US code.

I was really banking on MDM to be awesome and allow some fun as I'm not confident enough to use DSC off in a car with this much torque. It's not cutting the power as much as DSC on but it's definitely not allowing any rotation either.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 04:11 AM   #2
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Yes.

My F82 is quite lively in mdm. You can get quite a bit of slip angle before it starts to dial it back. You can't do big drifts though.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 12:46 AM   #3
Mathew E30
Rep
Drives: E92, 335I M sport DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
Got a F80 LCI and I find the MDM is good enough to get power down but a little too restrictive cornering. I've read that US MDM is quite restrictive and the euro MDM is less and will actually allow the car to rotate. Ie look like a pro and drift the car out a little. I cannot get the car to kick out at all. Got me thinking it's the restrictive US code.

I was really banking on MDM to be awesome and allow some fun as I'm not confident enough to use DSC off in a car with this much torque. It's not cutting the power as much as DSC on but it's definitely not allowing any rotation either.
Can't tell you if we get the euro MDM or not, but i've programed my M1 button with everything in sport plus and traction in MDM. Was playing around in my LCI M3 last night and the back does kick around a fair bit. When kicking down from a set of lights you feel traction limiting the wheelspin, but coming out of a round a bout in 2nd, when kicked down the back does kick around a bit.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 12:50 AM   #4
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting. When I try power out of a corner and get the tail out it cuts power. I'm definitely in MDM though I haven't had the 1st Break in service if that's got anything to do with it??
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 01:16 AM   #5
Explicit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Germany & Japan

Turn it off and get a feel for the chassis in a carpark/industrial area. Once you've got it, you'll never drive with it on again. The chassis on these cars is phenomenal and pin point accurate.
www.racewars.com.au
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 03:28 AM   #6
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicit
Turn it off and get a feel for the chassis in a carpark/industrial area. Once you've got it, you'll never drive with it on again. The chassis on these cars is phenomenal and pin point accurate.
I don't get all the hype the yanks talk about with traction issues. Much more colder road and tyre temps perhaps? I can floor the car 1st 2nd traction off and she's straight as an arrow.

After all the reading I was expecting this car to be some uncontrollable unpredictable animal. But as you say I'm finding the chassis is very grippy. I'm sure with deliberate throttle things will be different, and that's why I wanted MDM to allow that but with some safety net just in case.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 04:51 AM   #7
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Quote:
Interesting. When I try power out of a corner and get the tail out it cuts power. I'm definitely in MDM though I haven't had the 1st Break in service if that's got anything to do with it??
Wet weather is when you really get an appreciation for what the different modes do.

Best to do it on the racetrack or skidpan.

I find in an oversteer situation in MDM the computer is smart enough to work out if you are in control or not. If you mash the throttle to the floor and don't counter steer appropriately it cuts power back pretty aggressively. That is probably a good thing because it is stopping you going into a ditch, power pole etc. However, if you are delicate with the right foot, gradually feed the power on and modulate the throttle, counter steering and balancing the car it lets you hold more of a slip angle without intervention. You can't do a big drift though.

Play around in the wet, it will give you a better idea
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 02:29 AM   #8
Mathew E30
Rep
Drives: E92, 335I M sport DCT

Quote:
I never really drove the car hard before its first service, but I can tell you there is a very noticeable difference in them after they are serviced. They are smoother and although I didn't push hard before the first service, the car now does feel a bit more potent, that could be why.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 11:41 PM   #9
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

I've had the X5M kick out a few times in MDM - it's an interesting mode that's for sure.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 06:30 AM   #10
Marth06
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

We have euro mdm
You can get it to drift......works better with steering set to comfort
(According to Jeremy Clarkson top gear...... See his review on YouTube where he drifts it...)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 12:43 AM   #11
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

It's about lock angle, yaw and throttle position. Find a nice twisty road (not fast long corners - I'm talking 35-55 posted where you can go around 75-95). Turn in, on throttle as you are mid corner (dont floor it - nice and smooth) and you should get the e-diff play some magic and bring the back out to meet the direction the front wheels are pointed in. Always remember to look at the direction you want to go (well out in front of you) and dont be stupid on a public road. If you did not get the back to come out and meet you, repeat in a lower gear (make sure your mid rev range) and you'll find the car is quite playful.

I'm no driving expert and have not driven the car with traction completely off. Not worth it on the roads I like (twisty :-) with my driving skill anyway. MDM is plenty friendly. Traction off being reserved for the day I can hire a skid pan or a complete track and practice to audition for Top Gear and join Chris Harris.

If you get an invite from BMW to do the M-Intensive driver training, they put you through an oversteer exercise in a wet pan where you have traction off and can try drifting (they dont call it that). I sucked at it. Need an afternoon I think - had six goes around a wet half circle. Convinced me to stick to traction on or MDM on the public roads.

Be careful and have fun.
Appreciate 1