BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

Mporium BMW

03-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
mduval1988
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Jet Black M3 Sedan

Clear bra action

Clear bra? last clear bra I saw was down at Treasures.. better tell that story another time. Anyway what are the Cali guys talking about? Looks like some sort of protective film they put on the car... Do we have this "Clear bra" in Texas?
-Premium Package-Technology Package-19" Wheels
Yeah Bitch! That was a sedan that just passed you!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
mduval1988
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Jet Black M3 Sedan

Man all I hear is crickets....
-Premium Package-Technology Package-19" Wheels
Yeah Bitch! That was a sedan that just passed you!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Yonkers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M5

I wonder the same thing. The clear bra thing is a general term for it I think. Different companies make them, like 3M. The guys in Cali are mentioning specific places that install them since from what I understand, the most important thing about clear bra is not who makes them but who installs them.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Too bad you guys/gals aren't local b/c the installer I use for tint & clear bra does a great job & would highly recommend him to everyone.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
Closer_2001
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduval1988 View Post
Man all I hear is crickets....

www.cleartechpro.com

Steve Perez - great guy. No more chips.
      04-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
Ajax-Prime
Hydrocarbon Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: Still waiting on Stuttgart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduval1988 View Post
Clear bra? last clear bra I saw was down at Treasures.. better tell that story another time. Anyway what are the Cali guys talking about? Looks like some sort of protective film they put on the car... Do we have this "Clear bra" in Texas?
Yes we do. I had one on my E46 M3 (Stongard was the brand) and just had another one installed on my E92 (Expel.) While I believe both brands use a 3m urethane film to protect your front clip from road debris (rock chips) the Stongard wrapped around and underneath the hood, Expel just goes to the panel lip.

HIGHLY recommended. I had mine done at the Formula One on Westheimer in the Galleria (by Bubbles Carwash.)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

any of you guys get this? I'm getting paranoid about my E93...I think I might get this done...

Do they do full or just partial?

which you you do?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Bra is pretty good. I plan on getting it on my e92 coupe whenever I get it.

Like mentioned above, its basically a clear protective film that covers the bonnet, front bumper, front fenders, and anything else you want it on.

It comes in two different ways from my understanding. Pre-cut and pre-sized peices that just go over the top and end at the edges of each body peice, and then the custom peices, which I imagine are huge and get trimmed down exactly to size. The custom peices are also wrapped around the edges of the panels so that you don't see a line where the bra ends and it doesn't start to peel off.

This is a fantastic product, especially for black cars, because it prevents swirling or any kind of light damage to the paint. Tar, mud, bird bombs. You name it. I understand it can get decently pricey though. $1000~ish for a good custom job. But Its worth it.
      08-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closer_2001 View Post
www.cleartechpro.com

Steve Perez - great guy. No more chips.
Steve Perez is a good guy and does good work. I've spoken with him a couple times and he did work for friends of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax-Prime View Post
Yes we do. I had one on my E46 M3 (Stongard was the brand) and just had another one installed on my E92 (Expel.) While I believe both brands use a 3m urethane film to protect your front clip from road debris (rock chips) the Stongard wrapped around and underneath the hood, Expel just goes to the panel lip.

HIGHLY recommended. I had mine done at the Formula One on Westheimer in the Galleria (by Bubbles Carwash.)
I had my E46 done at the same place with the Expel. I wholeheartedly second this recommendation.

When my E92 comes in, I'm getting it done by Robert Collier with Detailed Autos in College Station. I'm buying my car up there and I'd rather have the clear bra on before I drive it 1.5 hours through construction areas on the way back home to Houston. He uses the Venture Shield film, which IMO looks noticeably better than the 3M products.

Here in Texas, clear bra is a must.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 01:38 AM   #10
ferraribabe
Registered
Rep
Drives: ferrari f430 bmw 650i

Hello all.... I have been surfing the internet for BMW forums, and have been posting in the 1 series forum...

The hot topic over there as well was clear bras. I thought I might add my two cents - there have been problems with applications by Mr. Perez... so we were discussing other installers. I posted a reply to an owner that was very dissatisfied with his clearbra installation...

I thought I would copy and paste my post from the 1 series forum so that you may read it -

Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good luck with your cars (or your "babies", as I like to call them!)- here you go:

I recently purchased a Ferrari F430, and I also have a BMW 650... BOTH have the full clearbra kit installed, and they are MAGNIFICENT.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with Steve Perez, but sadly, you are not the first person I have have come across that is disappointed with his work.

I'm curious where you purchased your car. I called around EVERYWHERE, and the ONLY person they recommended for high-end vehicles is Gray (Grey?) Wagner with Paint Protection of Texas. He has a website... not sure of the URL.... I did check him out THOROUGHLY. His prices were much less than at the dealer, but the dealer ITSELF (my salesguy) told me to take it to Mr. Wagner IMMEDIATELY.

His product knowledge and client education are OUTSTANDING and he is very personable, and treated my babies (my cars) as if they were his own. HE ALSO CLEARBRA'D MY HARLEY!!!! I didn't even know people DID such things, but we started talking about "toys"... and it came up. GREATEST THING I EVER DID.

His PERSONAL CELL PHONE number is 281-594-3006... I have already sent SEVERAL friends and car club members to him as well... each and every one was satisfied.

I will NEVER own another car without a bra on it... ever.

CALL HIM!

Beth

PS - he also tints windows... which look amazing on my BMW... still haven't tinted the Ferrari... not sure if I'm going to yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 10:40 PM   #11
FusionM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Steve Perez is a good guy and does good work. I've spoken with him a couple times and he did work for friends of mine.

I had my E46 done at the same place with the Expel. I wholeheartedly second this recommendation.

When my E92 comes in, I'm getting it done by Robert Collier with Detailed Autos in College Station. I'm buying my car up there and I'd rather have the clear bra on before I drive it 1.5 hours through construction areas on the way back home to Houston. He uses the Venture Shield film, which IMO looks noticeably better than the 3M products.

Here in Texas, clear bra is a must.
This might be off topic, but when are you getting your M3 in? I'd like to see the new iDrive in person.

On a side note, I too had my entire front car done by Robert. You can see my car on his website Detailed Autos.
He recommended ClearShield for the car instead of ventureshield because it does not scratch as easily.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #12
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionM3 View Post
This might be off topic, but when are you getting your M3 in? I'd like to see the new iDrive in person.

On a side note, I too had my entire front car done by Robert. You can see my car on his website Detailed Autos.
He recommended ClearShield for the car instead of ventureshield because it does not scratch as easily.
Assuming no last minute change in plans (I have a few different irons in the fire right now )I should be picking up my car on Saturday, October 11th, so if you want to meet up for lunch somewhere in College Station, I'll be happy to show it to you. Of course, I'll be as new to the updated iDrive as you are, so I won't be able to properly demonstrate, but we could probably muddle through it.

I didn't realize (or I forgot) you have an IB on black E92 w/ 19's as well. Our cars are going to look like twins.

Thanks for the tip on ClearShield. I'll talk to Robert about it, but if that's what he recommends, I'll probably go that route. At this point, I'm probably going to go with full hood and bumper, mirrors, and the fenders behind the wheels. Yours looks pretty much impregnable.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 11:48 PM   #13
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I wanted to follow up on this thread with a write-up regarding the clear bra I had installed by Robert Collier @ Detailed Autos in College Station. First, let me say that I am EXTREMELY impressed and I would recommend him to anyone.

Before I even took delivery of the car, I spoke with Robert several times about what would work best for me. He recommended a new product called ClearShield, which he now uses almost exclusively, having switched from Venture Shield. He offers a number of protection packages, and I decided on the front bumper, headlights, partial hood, mirrors, and behind the rear wheels. Throughout this process, Robert took his time explaining everything in a very low pressure and informative manner. He promised that if I didn't like the ClearShield, he would take it off and redo it in Venture Shield.

The arrangement was that my dealer would ferry the car over to Robert and pick it up when he was done. It all went smoothly. Robert gave the dealer explicit instructions not to wash the car. When he got it, he fully washedand clay barred the car before installing the clear bra, and waxed it afterward. When he installed the clear bra, Robert full wrapped all the edges of the film underneath the hood. This is much more time consuming and difficult, but gives you complete protection and doesn't leave visible edges.

When I took delivery, the IB paint absolutely POPPED. The car's exterior was stunningly detailed. Even better, I could barely see the clear bra. So much better than the Stonegaurd/Expel clear bra I had on my E46. The installation was completely perfect.

Having had the pleasure of getting to know him, Robert is a genuinely great guy. I've never been one for writing reviews, but I was so impressed in this case that I wanted to get the word out.

Last edited by TLud; 10-23-2008 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #14
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

He waxed it before he put on the clearbra? That seems a bit odd to me. Wash and claybar for sure, but with wax, the wax will just be there between the bra and the paint for the life of the shield. Not sure how that will result in the future, if it works then

Also, You only got a partial cover on your hood and rear fenders. Were you able to see lines where the bra ended?
      10-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #15
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
He waxed it before he put on the clearbra? That seems a bit odd to me. Wash and claybar for sure, but with wax, the wax will just be there between the bra and the paint for the life of the shield. Not sure how that will result in the future, if it works then

Also, You only got a partial cover on your hood and rear fenders. Were you able to see lines where the bra ended?
Sorry, my mistake. The wax was done afterward. Good catch. I'll edit the original post.

In the shade, the line on the hood is practically invisible, even looking from a couple of feet away. In direct sunlight, the line is noticeable up close, but not obvious. Stepping 10 feet back, you wouldn't see it. The way the rear fenders are sloped, you'd never notice the lines of the film unless you're in exactly the right light or you squat down right next to it. Overall, I can confidently say that it's the most transparent job and film I've seen.
      11-03-2008, 07:02 AM   #16
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I am about to get a custom job done here in Fort worth , I will let everyone know how it comes out.
These people should be our texas equivelent to premier thats in CA./
      12-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #17
smiwi
Smiwi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Convertible

Garage List
2009 e93 M3  [0.00]
Clear Bra in Austin

I have read quite a few posts on recommendations for Clear Bra installers in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, etc. but I have not seen anything other than some cryptic posts about installers in Austin. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 07:59 AM   #18
Buschy
Colonel
Rep

if you have more then one car the guy that did mine would probably travel down there to do yours.
      12-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #19
smiwi
Smiwi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Convertible

Garage List
2009 e93 M3  [0.00]
Only have the M3...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #20
Buschy
Colonel
Rep

just thougth maybe you could get a couple people over there that want them
      12-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #21
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

according to my dfw auto club mailing list, the guys out at ruf (porsche tuner) do the best work and is who everyone uses in that club.

3219 Commander Drive
Dallas, TX 75006
214-269-1570
Appreciate 0