F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suspension experts-Help needed.
proTUNING Freaks

03-21-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Suspension experts-Help needed.

Ever since I purchased my 2nd F30 I regretted the decision of not opting to go with the adaptive suspension again. M sport standard suspension IMO is horrible. Car felt wobbly, weak handling especially compared to my old E90.

Sigh... So I lowered it via H&R Sport springs with the addition of an alignment nothing else was done. (Big mistake not getting adaptive again )

Well typical complaint here and much advice and help needed. The H&R sport spring is just not a good fit. The travel rate is terrible, my car is jarring now and it does not absorb bumps well at all, it more or less bounces and launches off of them if you guys know what I mean.

Well last night was the final straw. I hit a pot hole in Chicago so bad that my 18'' L/F run flat even couldn't withstand the damage. Broke the steel belt. Im lucky I did not crack the rim or destroy the top hat.

Anyway is there a fix? Can I upgrade the shocks to work with the H&R springs? Short of going coil overs (I will if I must) but I never track and I don't want to mess with the height adjustment, and before I revert back to OEM springs what have some of you guys done? I cant take it anymore lol

I am also ditching the run flats for some Michelin PSS. I know the ride will improve a lot but the spring travel rate and the dampening still bothers me. I'm not trying to destroy tire after tire.

Advice and pointers are much appreciated.
Attached Images

03-21-2016, 10:20 PM   #2
stxf30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335i MSport

Garage List
If you're getting the tires anyway, give them a shot before you swap out the suspension again. I personally like my H&R sports and I'm on 19's.
      03-22-2016, 12:28 AM   #3
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxf30 View Post
If you're getting the tires anyway, give them a shot before you swap out the suspension again. I personally like my H&R sports and I'm on 19's.
I can do that seems logical and the easiest approach. I know the ride will soften up a bit which is what the suspension needs.

Are you on runflats or regular tires?

Thanks for the advice.
      03-22-2016, 05:59 AM   #4
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Ever since I purchased my 2nd F30 I regretted the decision of not opting to go with the adaptive suspension again. M sport standard suspension IMO is horrible. Car felt wobbly, weak handling especially compared to my old E90.

Sigh... So I lowered it via H&R Sport springs with the addition of an alignment nothing else was done. (Big mistake not getting adaptive again )

Well typical complaint here and much advice and help needed. The H&R sport spring is just not a good fit. The travel rate is terrible, my car is jarring now and it does not absorb bumps well at all, it more or less bounces and launches off of them if you guys know what I mean.

Well last night was the final straw. I hit a pot hole in Chicago so bad that my 18'' L/F run flat even couldn't withstand the damage. Broke the steel belt. Im lucky I did not crack the rim or destroy the top hat.

Anyway is there a fix? Can I upgrade the shocks to work with the H&R springs? Short of going coil overs (I will if I must) but I never track and I don't want to mess with the height adjustment, and before I revert back to OEM springs what have some of you guys done? I cant take it anymore lol

I am also ditching the run flats for some Michelin PSS. I know the ride will improve a lot but the spring travel rate and the dampening still bothers me. I'm not trying to destroy tire after tire.

Runflats are your biggest problem. You didn't help matters when you decided to modify springs only.

I'm on the Sport (MSport) suspension and went to Michelin PSS. I was also able to test it out this weekend at AutoX and it made a huge difference.

As far as RWD 3/4 series go.. consider the M Performance Suspension or AST/Ohlins coilovers.

Stock sport suspension (RWD) + square Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/40/18 on APEX ARC-8 (Anthracite) 18x8.5 ET38:

Last edited by Polo08816; 03-22-2016 at 06:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post

Runflats are your biggest problem. You didn't help matters when you decided to modify springs only.

I'm on the Sport (MSport) suspension and went to Michelin PSS. I was also able to test it out this weekend at AutoX and it made a huge difference.

As far as RWD 3/4 series go.. consider the M Performance Suspension or AST/Ohlins coilovers.

Stock sport suspension (RWD) + square Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/40/18 on APEX ARC-8 (Anthracite) 18x8.5 ET38:

Great info and your feedback in awesome especially that you've fracked and tried the tires. Sounds like maybe the PSS tires and a Dinan bump stop kit should be a perfect resolution.

Thanks again.
      03-22-2016, 09:39 PM   #6
stxf30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981
Quote:
I can do that seems logical and the easiest approach. I know the ride will soften up a bit which is what the suspension needs.

Thanks for the advice.
I'm on runflats still. I purchased my car CPO last March and it had a brand new set on...so I figured I'd wear them out. How many miles on your car? Mine is at 30k, could make a difference too. Plus those Chicago streets are unforgiving....as stated the bump stops could make a difference, though unlikely. But don't quote me on that I haven't personally compared the Msports v Dinan.
      03-23-2016, 12:21 AM   #7
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxf30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981
Quote:

Thanks for the advice.
I'm on runflats still. I purchased my car CPO last March and it had a brand new set on...so I figured I'd wear them out. How many miles on your car? Mine is at 30k, could make a difference too. Plus those Chicago streets are unforgiving....as stated the bump stops could make a difference, though unlikely. But don't quote me on that I haven't personally compared the Msports v Dinan.
I purchased mine last May as a cpo as well. It's currently at 44k but it's my daily and my commute to work is 67mi round trip.

I know what you mean about the tires mine were new good year summer run flats and I wanted to wear them out as well. I just can't see paying $300 for one replacement crap tire so I'm willing to just fork up the remaining $600 bucks to have a new set of Michelin PSS ( tire rack all 4 @ $837 after rebate) At least that's my excuse and logic since I really dislike the run flats.
      04-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #8
R12ax7
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 340xi

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
I'd recommend the Dinan springs as an alternative. I have been very happy with them - fixed my body roll complaint instantly. I do have adaptive so i cant compare directly to Dinan springs with Msport, but generally people have said they are a better match than the H&Rs and the drop is a tad less.

Also, are you Xdrive? Back when I had an '08 xi I constantly got bubbles, but i havent had a single one since i went RWD. Others have suggested that the added weight of the beefier suspension components of Xdrive could contributed to the harsher pothole impacts.

Retired:
2018 330xi | 2016 340i 6MT | 2013 335i 6MT |
2011 328i 6MT (N52) | 2008 335xi (N54)
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

I went from M sport to MPS and is definitely a big improvement. Ride fill stiffer now as my e90. I'm still on my pzero RFT and waiting to wear them out to get the Michelin PSS.
      04-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #10
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by R12ax7
I'd recommend the Dinan springs as an alternative. I have been very happy with them - fixed my body roll complaint instantly. I do have adaptive so i cant compare directly to Dinan springs with Msport, but generally people have said they are a better match than the H&Rs and the drop is a tad less.

Also, are you Xdrive? Back when I had an '08 xi I constantly got bubbles, but i havent had a single one since i went RWD. Others have suggested that the added weight of the beefier suspension components of Xdrive could contributed to the harsher pothole impacts.
Yes I think I'll go with the Dinan springs and bump stops. I'm also going to non run flat tires. I think this will fix all my issues in having currently.

No I'm RWD aka one wheel drive lol (open dif sux)

Thanks