ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

03-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

HPDE Summit PT, May 20

Anyone doing this? Heard of it thru NCC chapter of BMW club. I'll be going and my first HPDE . Other than 2 day M school my first real track event as well, so curious to see if anyone here is going.

http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showthrea...n-Circuit-HPDE
      03-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #2
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

how often do these happen? I don't plan on it but maybe down the road
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 08:23 PM   #3
Dinh335
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4
how often do these happen? I don't plan on it but maybe down the road
They seem to pop up every 6-8 weeks, there's one first week of April I can't make hence doing the one late May...

Let me know if you decide to go even if later on!
      03-24-2016, 07:57 AM   #4
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

This is our April event happening in a few weeks:
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...bmw-cca-828385

We hold 3-4 HPDEs every year, one on each Summit circuit and hoping to finalize our track days at Dominion in the Fall.

If you haven't been to the track yet, these events will give you all the training and seat time to properly learn the limits of your car. Plenty of F80/F82 show up and some of our instructors have them as well

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

I will provide alittle dissenting opinion...

But my experience with the HPDE program hosted by BMWCCA NCC was less than satisfactory compared to NASA, THSCC, etc.

First off, my instructor at the NCC hosted HPDE was stellar. Easy going guy, communicative, just the right amount of constructive criticism and knowledgeable.

The bads:
1. Obscenely long tech line, due to thorough inspections. Which is fine, but then don't make us fill out an equally exhaustive signed off tech form.
2. Inspectors made less than desired comments about my Porsche 944, even tho it had no mechanical/safety issues.
3. Selective (discriminatory) application of regulations. They made me completely pad my roll bar above the window line. Even though a spec 3 car with a full cage next to me was passed despite lacking the same padding.
4. NCC HPDE organizers don't seem to respond to email regarding questions. And when I requested a copy of my feedback form after the event, it was crickets.
5. NCC HPDE veterans have ZERO paddock etiquette. I got there early, got a spot, set up my pit (rug, folding chair, tools, cooler). Had to run to the SPR Og Racing shop for bar padding, came back and some one was in my spot, despite the clear signs of occupancy. And then made me feel like I was the dick by asking them to move.

I am a BMWCCA NCC member, and will renew this year. And I've had friendly conversations with Paul, but my HPDE experience was unsatisfactory enough that I won't be doing one again with NCC.
      03-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
Dinh335
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post

But my experience with the HPDE program hosted by BMWCCA NCC was less than satisfactory compared to NASA, THSCC, etc.

First off, my instructor at the NCC hosted HPDE was stellar. Easy going guy, communicative, just the right amount of constructive criticism and knowledgeable.

The bads:
1. Obscenely long tech line, due to thorough inspections. Which is fine, but then don't make us fill out an equally exhaustive signed off tech form.
2. Inspectors made less than desired comments about my Porsche 944, even tho it had no mechanical/safety issues.
3. Selective (discriminatory) application of regulations. They made me completely pad my roll bar above the window line. Even though a spec 3 car with a full cage next to me was passed despite lacking the same padding.
4. NCC HPDE organizers don't seem to respond to email regarding questions. And when I requested a copy of my feedback form after the event, it was crickets.
5. NCC HPDE veterans have ZERO paddock etiquette. I got there early, got a spot, set up my pit (rug, folding chair, tools, cooler). Had to run to the SPR Og Racing shop for bar padding, came back and some one was in my spot, despite the clear signs of occupancy. And then made me feel like I was the dick by asking them to move.

I am a BMWCCA NCC member, and will renew this year. And I've had friendly conversations with Paul, but my HPDE experience was unsatisfactory enough that I won't be doing one again with NCC.
In terms of what is taught, how did the NCC one differ from the NASA/THCC HPDEs?
      03-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
In terms of what is taught, how did the NCC one differ from the NASA/THCC HPDEs?
That are the same in terms of classroom content. Car control theory and optimum line. Knowing safety procedures/flagging, etc.

Passing on the longer straights with point by in novice and intermediate
      03-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post

The bads:

Thanks, feedback shared with our HPDE program. If you want to give me specifics, please PM and I'll share that info too.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0