E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > CIC Programming Aborted with ISTA/P

03-28-2016, 01:59 AM   #1
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

CIC Programming Aborted with ISTA/P

Hey, so I messed up, wish I'd put in more reading ahead of time because now my CIC won't boot. Here is what I did:

Was trying to install a new FRM (old one bricked itself, was doing some basic diagnostics and the voltage dropped too low I guess). Everywhere I read said that the easiest way to install a new FRM is to just use ISTA/P in expert mode and it will run it through the programming and coding necessary. I bought a nice power supply to prevent any more bricked modules, and figured I'd give it a shot.

I was just blindly clicking through ISTA/P (first time using it) and hadn't realized that its test plan also included programming and coding a bunch of other modules besides the FRM, some of which were on the MOST bus. I only have a K+D/CAN cable and an ICOM emulator, so when it started programming the CIC nothing really happened (that, or it was happening very slowly). Eventually, my battery died because the power supply had actually slipped off one of the leads. Mega fail!

Now, ISTA/D says that the CIC is in programming aborted mode. Is it possible that nothing was actually overwritten, and it just needs to be reset somehow? Or should I shell out some $$$ for ICOM A+B clones? It's annoying not having iDrive, but otherwise the car is fine. Any advice here would be appreciated!

Update: followed the advice below, programmed all 3 modules using expert mode and it is as good as new! Just make sure you buy an ICOM A+B and configure EDIABAS to use the MOST_ASYNC_ab625 interface. Thanks for the help Sensible

Last edited by madmantwo; 06-12-2016 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 06:16 AM   #2
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

maybe you can try tool32 to see if you can get it out of the programming mode?

if not it's not too bad to get icom... at least it's a damn versatile tool...
      03-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I guess I worded that kinda poorly, it's not really in a programming aborted mode, persay, but when ISTA/D displays the state of each module, the CIC-Aggregate module is blue, indicating a programming aborted state.

I'll look into seeing if Tool32 can reset it somehow, but I might just end up springing for an ICOM clone. Just can't figure out which clones are reliable and which ones are not...
      03-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

In INPA does the CIC show:

Datenprogrammiersitzung aktiv

(Programming session active)

If so, try disconnecting battery and leave overnight to allow the module to reset properly...
Appreciate 1
E92only82.00
      03-28-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
In INPA does the CIC show:

Datenprogrammiersitzung aktiv

(Programming session active)

If so, try disconnecting battery and leave overnight to allow the module to reset properly...
I'll check tonight, thanks!
      03-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #6
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

I just read your 1st post again. I wouldn't bother with the battery reset method...

In tool32 run the job:
flash_programmier_status_lesen

My bet is it will return 7 - programming session active for CIC.

I guess as nothing happened during the ISTA flash your CIC is stuck in bootloader mode.

CIC is made up of 3 parts which must be flashed in correct order (obviously ISTA does this automatically but I'll explain it as it may help you solve the problem).

63 -> 62 -> A0

The numbers refer to ECU addresses so...

63 = MASK/CIC
62 = MOSTGW
A0 = CIC

Bootloader / program / data

I think only an ICOMA+B / Opps unit will you be able to recover this CIC by reflashing with ISTAP. Only 62 can be flashed with K+DCAN. The complete package requires MOST (ICOM B) correctly configured.

Hope this helps...
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #7
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I just read your 1st post again. I wouldn't bother with the battery reset method...

In tool32 run the job:
flash_programmier_status_lesen

My bet is it will return 7 - programming session active for CIC.

I guess as nothing happened during the ISTA flash your CIC is stuck in bootloader mode.

CIC is made up of 3 parts which must be flashed in correct order (obviously ISTA does this automatically but I'll explain it as it may help you solve the problem).

63 -> 62 -> A0

The numbers refer to ECU addresses so...

63 = MASK/CIC
62 = MOSTGW
A0 = CIC

Bootloader / program / data

I think only an ICOMA+B / Opps unit will you be able to recover this CIC by reflashing with ISTAP. Only 62 can be flashed with K+DCAN. The complete package requires MOST (ICOM B) correctly configured.

Hope this helps...
That's what I was afraid of...thanks for the detailed reply! I can also hear some sort of fan running, which makes sense if it's still stuck in a programming session. Time to get an ICOM unit I guess

Once I get ISTA/P properly communicating over the MOST bus I will report back with my results, in case someone else makes the same mistake I did

Last edited by madmantwo; 03-28-2016 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2016, 12:36 AM   #8
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I managed to get an ICOM A2+B clone, and it doesn't appear to be able to deal with the fact that CIC-Aggregate and MOST Gateway have "Programming Status 12." Just gets stuck preparing to program for like 30 minutes, and I quit after that because I could see that it was not writing anything anymore.

Is there any way to test whether or not my ICOM B interface is configured and working correctly? It didn't seem to be doing anything different than when all I had was a K+DCAN cable.

If the problem is not my ICOM B interface, then is there a way I can use Tool32 or WinKFP to change the programming status back to 1 instead?
      04-06-2016, 02:03 AM   #9
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

Ok, but did you try reflash it using WINKFP as Sensible described?
      04-06-2016, 07:18 AM   #10
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptomit View Post
Ok, but did you try reflash it using WINKFP as Sensible described?
I think he said to use ISTA/P, not WinKFP. How would I go about reflashing those three modules with WinKFP?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:48 PM   #11
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
looks like icom configuration problem, or the icom b is faulty (happens frequently a lot on clones)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 03:50 AM   #12
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

ICOM must be configured for ASYNC...

Also, Winkfp is good for this recovery. With Expert mode.

You must flash 63 (naab, program, data), 62 (naab, program, data), then finally you can flash A0 with comfort mode.

All will be ok. However all should be flashed via MOST.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #13
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ICOM must be configured for ASYNC...

Also, Winkfp is good for this recovery. With Expert mode.

You must flash 63 (naab, program, data), 62 (naab, program, data), then finally you can flash A0 with comfort mode.

All will be ok. However all should be flashed via MOST.
OK I finally have some time to try this. I have my ICOM successfully connected in mode MOST_ASYNC. Winkfp recognizes it and shows the correct HW interface.

I've never used Winkfp in expert mode before, I used comfort mode to flash my FRM a while ago but that's it. Can you walk me through the general steps required to flash a given module? Like flashing address 63 for example. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #14
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Finally got around to fixing this. Updated first post with solution
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #15
ammoun
Registered
Rep

Hi madmantwo,

I think I bricked my frm, and I was told that after I replace the part, I will need some coding. I have never done any coding in the past, how easy is it to get that done please? I'm very comfortable with programming computers though

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #16
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammoun View Post
Hi madmantwo,

I think I bricked my frm, and I was told that after I replace the part, I will need some coding. I have never done any coding in the past, how easy is it to get that done please? I'm very comfortable with programming computers though

Thank you
It's very easy to do, everything you need and more is covered in the VM image that is linked in this forum. I think there is even a how-to for programming/coding FRM modules on this forum as well. Just don't do what I did and use ISTA/P, unless you get a newer version that allows you to select individual jobs rather than reprogram the entire goddamn car Let me know if you would like more guidance
      07-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #17
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmantwo View Post
It's very easy to do, everything you need and more is covered in the VM image that is linked in this forum. I think there is even a how-to for programming/coding FRM modules on this forum as well. Just don't do what I did and use ISTA/P, unless you get a newer version that allows you to select individual jobs rather than reprogram the entire goddamn car Let me know if you would like more guidance
Which version on allows individual jobs?
      08-26-2016, 02:48 AM   #18
ntasia2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

My E92 335 have the same problem as the FRM died. Still awaiting for the new part delivery. I am looking and reading the related information, and then wanna try to re-program it. I also surfed on youtube that the code is required to fill-in when re-program the FRM, how do you find such code out??
Besides, I am confused about the connection, does the K+DCan cable is enough??? How come somebody connect the car with ICOM A, somobody use ICOM A+B+C???
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 11:01 PM   #19
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntasia2000 View Post
My E92 335 have the same problem as the FRM died. Still awaiting for the new part delivery. I am looking and reading the related information, and then wanna try to re-program it. I also surfed on youtube that the code is required to fill-in when re-program the FRM, how do you find such code out??
Besides, I am confused about the connection, does the K+DCan cable is enough??? How come somebody connect the car with ICOM A, somobody use ICOM A+B+C???
If you just fried your FRM module, then all you need to do is get a K+DCAN cable, program it with WinKFP, and code it with NCS-Expert (if I remember correctly). What happened to me is I tried to use ISTA/P to program/code it, and it tried to program/code all of my modules, even the ones that need an ICOM cable.

For future information, ICOM A is effectively the same as a standard K+DCAN cable, and ICOM B has the MOST interface that allows you to communicate with certain modules on a much higher bandwidth network.
      08-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #20
ntasia2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmantwo View Post
If you just fried your FRM module, then all you need to do is get a K+DCAN cable, program it with WinKFP, and code it with NCS-Expert (if I remember correctly). What happened to me is I tried to use ISTA/P to program/code it, and it tried to program/code all of my modules, even the ones that need an ICOM cable.

For future information, ICOM A is effectively the same as a standard K+DCAN cable, and ICOM B has the MOST interface that allows you to communicate with certain modules on a much higher bandwidth network.
thanks dude
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #21
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

So am I interpreting this thread correctly to say that MOST devices can't be coded successfully using the K-DCAN ICOM emulator with ISTA/P? An actual hardware ICOM B interface is required?

Sounds like that, but n00bs must make sure, or bad things happen... ;-)

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #22
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
So am I interpreting this thread correctly to say that MOST devices can't be coded successfully using the K-DCAN ICOM emulator with ISTA/P? An actual hardware ICOM B interface is required?

Sounds like that, but n00bs must make sure, or bad things happen... ;-)

ianc
that is correct,
for MOST related modules you need ICOM
Appreciate 0