F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How can you turn DTC on (hit button once) and have Sport mode
GetBMWParts

03-30-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
Mre123
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

How can you turn DTC on (hit button once) and have Sport mode

I've noticed I can't have both DTC on and Sport mode, which is essentially sport + on an M Sport line 335i. When I hit the button it re-engages comfort mode as I can feel it in the steering change. I drive a 2013 335i xdrive 8at with MPPK, not a sport line.. I have tried going into DS mode and then I can put DTC on, but it doesn't really feel like sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 11:04 PM   #2
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

I thought Sport+ is DTC off?
      03-30-2016, 11:11 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis View Post
I thought Sport+ is DTC off?
OP, just drive in... sport+. it engages DTC mode (not full DSC OFF). DSC OFF also keeps the sport settings

if you don't have sport+, see if you can code it?
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
PappyVR4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
... DSC OFF also keeps the sport settings
Nope. DSC OFF uses sport steering/suspension, but keeps comfort throttle.

Quote:
if you don't have sport+, see if you can code it?
Yup. If you don't have sport+, you can code it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 11:43 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyVR4 View Post
Nope. DSC OFF uses sport steering/suspension, but keeps comfort throttle.
Ok. Thanks for clarifying.

Is your source that user created table posted on here? The technical training docs don't specifically mention this situation.

I always felt the throttle was similar in sport+ and Dsc off but don't know for sure
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 01:44 AM   #6
cnguyen22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by test View Post
I've noticed I can't have both DTC on and Sport mode, which is essentially sport + on an M Sport line 335i. When I hit the button it re-engages comfort mode as I can feel it in the steering change. I drive a 2013 335i xdrive 8at with MPPK, not a sport line.. I have tried going into DS mode and then I can put DTC on, but it doesn't really feel like sport.

You have to hold down the dtc button for about 5 secs for that to work.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 05:53 AM   #7
PappyVR4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Ok. Thanks for clarifying.

Is your source that user created table posted on here? The technical training docs don't specifically mention this situation.

I always felt the throttle was similar in sport+ and Dsc off but don't know for sure
I noticed it in my gas pedal before seeing that table. Keeping constant partial pressure on the throttle and switching from Sport to DSC OFF, the car slows in acceleration. When Keeping constant partial pedal pressure, but going from comfort to DSC OFF, the acceleration stays constant.

EDIT: I'm speaking to the F30. I see you have an F80. The F80 may be different, I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #8
Mre123
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

I don't have sport +. Is DS mode (shifter to the left) the same as sport? If so, then doing that and hitting button once, should be what I'm looking for. . It does seem to hang RPM longer like sport, but I wasn't sure if that is because it's waiting for a manual shift, redlining, and then shifting on its own.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #9
cnguyen22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 m3

Quote:
I don't have sport +. Is DS mode (shifter to the left) the same as sport? If so, then doing that and hitting button once, should be what I'm looking for. . It does seem to hang RPM longer like sport, but I wasn't sure if that is because it's waiting for a manual shift, redlining, and then shifting on its own.
It's not the same. You have to hold the traction control button down for 5 secs
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #10
PappyVR4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnguyen22 View Post
It's not the same. You have to hold the traction control button down for 5 secs
Holding the traction control button for 5 seconds DOES NOT put you into sport mode or sport+ mode. The DSC OFF mode you get by doing that doesn't have sport throttle.

Quote:
OP, the only way you will get sport mode with DTC enabled is if you enable Sport+ with coding. What you're doing with the shifter is only affecting the transmission's characteristics. It is not giving you sport mode throttle.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyVR4 View Post
I noticed it in my gas pedal before seeing that table. Keeping constant partial pressure on the throttle and switching from Sport to DSC OFF, the car slows in acceleration. When Keeping constant partial pedal pressure, but going from comfort to DSC OFF, the acceleration stays constant.

EDIT: I'm speaking to the F30. I see you have an F80. The F80 may be different, I don't know.
I was speaking of the F30 as well. (my wife had an F30 335 sportline that we very recently turned in). I guess the only time I was DSC OFF was at buttonwillow so I was not really "constant partial pressure" It was more like.. sport+ for orientation laps, then DSC OFF to have fun (which... ended after 15 min due to 300F oil temps and greasy OEM RFT summer tires )

On the F80, traction control, throttle, dampers (for adaptive suspension option) and steering (and gearbox shifting for DCT option) are all controlled separately. The F80 "sports+" throttle setting is really key since it sets the cooling system to max (oil temps 230F range even in 100F ambient socal track day weather) and activates the anti-lag system
Appreciate 0