THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Self Service Car Washes?

03-31-2016, 05:52 PM   #1
ssimonvii
Rep
Drives: M235 Convertable

Self Service Car Washes?

Hey Guys,
Washing my car in my building is very tough (no access to a hose), and the city is pretty strict above washing cars in general. I've read about the bucket system, however, it looks like I would still need a hose to rinse the car off.

The alternative aside from having it professionally cleaned is going to a self service car wash. I've always taken my car to have it washed, but recently went to a self service wash once and didn't know what the hell I was doing :-). I basically just rinsed the car off/got it professionally cleaned the next day so I didn't cause any damage.

The local self service wash locations have signs saying no bucket washing, so I was wondering if there are any best practices for places like this (or not even going at all). Is it better to bring my own products, are there any good videos showing the best way to clean cars at these places, etc.?

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

I use these in the winter (in the summer I use my driveway).

I go: tire cleaner>presoak>high pressure soap>scrub brush>rinse>spot-free rinse.

Make sure you spray the scrub brush off before using it on your car. You may want to bring a drying towel of some sort too, I don't because the place I go to is right around the block.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Google waterless car wash, you need three buckets, product and lots of microfiber towels.
Couple times a years / after winter / maybe ask dealer to hose down underside of car.

Chk this video
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 10:23 PM   #4
vietboyx1115
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MG F80 Comp

Like the post above, but I use Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine. You only need a couple gallons of water in a bucket, a wash mitt, and microfiber towels to dry off.

I clean my car often so I can use the one bucket method and it doesn't seem to be an issue. However you could use the two bucket method with it as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimonvii View Post
Hey Guys,
Washing my car in my building is very tough (no access to a hose), and the city is pretty strict above washing cars in general. I've read about the bucket system, however, it looks like I would still need a hose to rinse the car off.

The alternative aside from having it professionally cleaned is going to a self service car wash. I've always taken my car to have it washed, but recently went to a self service wash once and didn't know what the hell I was doing :-). I basically just rinsed the car off/got it professionally cleaned the next day so I didn't cause any damage.

The local self service wash locations have signs saying no bucket washing, so I was wondering if there are any best practices for places like this (or not even going at all). Is it better to bring my own products, are there any good videos showing the best way to clean cars at these places, etc.?

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks a lot.
When I use a self-service car wash,which is infrequently,I just use the soap and the rinse functions. Never use the scrub brush. It seems like a surefire way to put smalls scratches in the paint.I use my car squeegee and drying towel afterward.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 04:58 PM   #6
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietboyx1115
Like the post above, but I use Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine. You only need a couple gallons of water in a bucket, a wash mitt, and microfiber towels to dry off.

I clean my car often so I can use the one bucket method and it doesn't seem to be an issue. However you could use the two bucket method with it as well.
I used to use ONR when we rented/had a garage but no access to a hose. Two buckets one with ONR and the other with plain water for rinsing. Works very well and no scratching as long as you use soft microfibers or a wool wash mitt and make sure you rinse the mitt each time after soaping. A grit guard would be a sound idea also.

Only drawback to the ONR is that it leaves a little bit of a film so you will need to dry the car with microfibers or a soft waffle weave towel. My suggestion is to wash/rinse/dry one panel at a time. Used this method on a black 11' GTI I and worked well.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietboyx1115

I got this stuff from my detailer. It's wicked!!!

stay away from the self washbay brushes, or just clean your car with an SoS pad, it's practically the same loool
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2016, 07:45 PM   #8
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Heard that it might be frowned upon maybe if the place was super busy.... But I was thinking about taking my own bucket, soap and drying towels to one of those places. Put one quarter in and spray the car down and fill the bucket with water and soap, then wash per usual. Then throw another couple quarters in for a rinse then dry.

I was even thinking about doing this when you do have driveway access in the user because it will keep your car in the shade.....

Any thoughts. I can't imagine the extra $1.50 less in quarters you are giving them and the 15 minutes extra you take really cutting into their buisness.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #9
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
Heard that it might be frowned upon maybe if the place was super busy.... But I was thinking about taking my own bucket, soap and drying towels to one of those places. Put one quarter in and spray the car down and fill the bucket with water and soap, then wash per usual. Then throw another couple quarters in for a rinse then dry.

I was even thinking about doing this when you do have driveway access in the user because it will keep your car in the shade.....

Any thoughts. I can't imagine the extra $1.50 less in quarters you are giving them and the 15 minutes extra you take really cutting into their buisness.
I don't think I've seen a self service car wash that would start with only a quarter like that. There's always a minimum which once met puts the timer at 5 minutes or so. It's a cool idea, though for me I just have a high pressure washer at home and wait until my driveway is in the shade.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 06:23 AM   #10
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
I don't think I've seen a self service car wash that would start with only a quarter like that. There's always a minimum which once met puts the timer at 5 minutes or so. It's a cool idea, though for me I just have a high pressure washer at home and wait until my driveway is in the shade.
I mean I'm saying you could throw enough in to start it and enough to rinse it. It would still only cost you a few bucks and youd still be getting a nice hand wash in.
Appreciate 0