E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > So close, stuck on pre-delivery check?

04-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

So close, stuck on pre-delivery check?

Hi,
recently I've been having a problem with my car where the service info is missing. Everything else as far as I can tell is working on the car. Idrive, lights, warnings, error codes, engine performance etc.
Now it did used to show 'pre-delivery check' but for some reason it isn't now.

old image:

Basically after unplugging the battery to fit a fuel-it stage 2 pump, the service info was gone after re-connecting the battery.

I thought it would be a simple case of putting this back in with the stalks next to the steering wheel.

I've scanned my car with DISv57 and Rheingold 3.41. Rheingold shows all modules working except for 2 error codes. I basically don't have heated mirrors so that seems to explain the codes.

DISv57 shows the same and also a potential issue with what I think are the LED interior lights I've fitted in place of bulbs. I doubt this is the cause of my problems. It says fault not present now. My JB4 is in map 0. Disabled.

The fuel mixture issue is due to running a JB4 and custom flash.

So today, thinking I'd pinned down the issue, I decided to make sure the car wasn't in transport mode and to run through the pre-delivery checks. The car is showing the red service icon. It did show the 'pre-delivery check' in the idrive in the past. This was what I had been reading:

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_se...6_e67_e87_e90/

"Here it should be noted that the pre-delivery check is only accompanied by a time reference with no remaining distance."

I'm unable to make changes to the service info with the BC controls etc. Which makes sense for pre-delivery/transport mode. I set the date but the service info did not return.

My idrive shows the red triangle at the top which may make sense. I think it did show the red car on the stand which seems what the manual says for predelivery check transport mode and not an actual vehicle check requirement.

None of my service items will show any miles or dates. Despite these being set on some items with DIS.

I have tried doing CBS correction with DIS and that wont work. Values store but do not show in idrive. Service intervals are being calculated as stupidly high. Like next vehicle check by year 2063!!?

I though this would be sorted after the pre-delivery check procedure where a
interval calc is re-calculated.

Manual notes:

"The display is a service display and not a Check-Control message!

Decoding is only possible using the BMW diagnosis system in the test module
"CBS pre-delivery check" and not with the instrument cluster. Decoding is
performed automatically when the test module is executed."

I've been through each of the service functions->maintenance options for CBS and transport mode.

My car appears to work completely normally for everything else.

So guys any ideas what I can try next?

I'm wondering if a module could be out of synch with the DME.

Maybe a power surge blew a physical module? But why then are no diagnostics showing it. The other thing I wondered was if a transport mode connector was left connected but I don't see any. I think they are only used for trickle charging as well.

Here are some additional images of what I'm seeing:

I'm really stuck at this point
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Probably won't work but have you tried: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384430
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 04:42 AM   #3
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Probably won't work but have you tried: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384430
Yes I have Sensible. This was the first thing I tried back in Feb when it happened. Thinking I'd jut have to re-enter my dates. A PITA I thought but hey nice and simple.

Thanks for trying to help I'm running out of ideas right now.

Unfortunately the above method just wont save the values I put in. It sounds like it's in pre-delivery check mode which ignores this method of input until it's gone through that check. I ran that check with ISTA.

So my ideas are
  1. Try doing pre-deliery check with ISTA instead
  2. Flash back ECU to stock back end flash
  3. Set coding back to stock - I've coded velocity on the dash, folding mirrors, 5 flash indicators and turned off some light checks. I've read of these causing some service indicator issues like bringing a service forward 1000 miles.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Have you seen this? I reckon ISTA-D Rheingold will help...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #5
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Have you seen this? I reckon ISTA-D Rheingold will help...
Yes mate, thanks

I tried running the pre-delivery check with DIS but tonight I will try with Rheingold. In DIS it relates the pre-delivery check mode to transport mode. I went through the service for removing transport mode and performing the pre-delivery check.
Also tried all the CBS reset and setting options.

This is what happens right now. Just won't take the input. Such a pain!

The only positive is that the car seems completely normal and healthy. All functions work in Idrive and on the car like heating and cooling which often stop in transport mode. Revs are not limited. Power is fully there. This is really just a big irritation at this point.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #6
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

I had a go in Rheingold ISTA yesterday. I'll post up the error I got when I get home tonight.

One value would not set. It said that if the value cannot be written after the 2nd attempt that I should troubleshoot the issue in the instruments panel.
I tried doing that and couldn't get very far. I don't know much about the Rheingold program.

The 'pre-delivery check' was greyed out so it could not be run.
The odd thing is it said something like cars with more than 50km on the odometer cannot be put into transport mode.

However I see threads that say a car's battery going low can trigger transport mode. I've been able to set transport mode on with my jb4 and I hope that didn't break anything. It's like 'valet mode' and limits power. I was curious to try it.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 12:43 PM   #7
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

I look forward to seeing the error...you'll get there in the end I've no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #8
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

My stab in the dark is that you have a bad CAS module.

CBS data is stored within the CAS module.

You can try reflashing the CAS module but make sure you do it properly. Your key data, etc is also stored within this module. ISTA should allow you to make a backup of the module before module "replacement."

In this case, I am not sure how you would go about reflashing the CAS module and also backing up the data since you are not really replacing the module. I don't know if ISTA will know if the module is the same or not. I've only done it with new module replacements.

Another thing you can try is using another key fob if you have one.

Also Time and Data must be set correct for CBS to work properly.

Last edited by matteblue3er; 04-05-2016 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #9
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
My stab in the dark is that you have a bad CAS module.

CBS data is stored within the CAS module.

You can try reflashing the CAS module but make sure you do it properly. Your key data, etc is also stored within this module. ISTA should allow you to make a backup of the module before module "replacement."

In this case, I am not sure how you would go about reflashing the CAS module and also backing up the data since you are not really replacing the module. I don't know if ISTA will know if the module is the same or not. I've only done it with new module replacements.

Another thing you can try is using another key fob if you have one.

Also Time and Data must be set correct for CBS to work properly.
Hey thanks matteblue3er,

yes I was hoping to see something like the DME and CAS module had lost synchronisation.

My keys are not holding any CBS info only mileage. When the BMW deal put my key into their reader they told me that. I tried my second key to see if the info would come back but my guess is the data is probably just written to the key and not read from it. That being how the car always updates the keys to the latest info.

I will try and look further into this area. Anything is worth a shot. I wonder if when plugging in the battery a short circuit may have caused a current spike to mess up that module. However as said above it seems to be reading fine.

Time and date are set correctly.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #10
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I look forward to seeing the error...you'll get there in the end I've no doubt.
Didn't get around to posting it yesterday. I will tonight.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #11
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

This was the error when trying to reset one of the values:

I was able to reset oil.

One thing I've read about is a major issue occurring when resetting the brakes service date without changing the sensor. I had reset my brakes because when they were done the people doing it didn't know how. This was months after they were fitted but they are still in good shape. The brakes were fitted with new sensors but the first contact would have been broken I'd have guessed.

Apparently this can require fitting a new sensor so a contact can be broken and then a counter started. If the first contact is broken before the reset it causes all sorts of problems. My brakes service had been reset before unplugging the battery and worked fine for months. I wonder though now if the battery reset caused the car to fall into this problem. It's possible but the CAS issue is probably more likely. Does this look wrong to anyone?

11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #12
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Have seen online that others have 0.0.0.0 in their CAS info for that line however people look to have ~21 control modules and mine lists only 10???
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 04:20 AM   #13
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Hi,
I've not gotten any further on this. Does anyone have advice for troubleshooting the instrument panel?
So desperate to get this annoying problem sorted out.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #14
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Ok, are we 100% sure CBS data is stored in the CAS. My understanding was that CAS would request CBS data from instrument cluster in order to update the key memory only. I have a friend who had the same problem several years ago. (He's an ex BMW tech - now independent) he stated he wrote a factory dump to the KOMBI and then coded as normal. Then reset CBS data via ISTA.

Any chance you could try this?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #15
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok, are we 100% sure CBS data is stored in the CAS. My understanding was that CAS would request CBS data from instrument cluster in order to update the key memory only. I have a friend who had the same problem several years ago. (He's an ex BMW tech - now independent) he stated he wrote a factory dump to the KOMBI and then coded as normal. Then reset CBS data via ISTA.

I will definitely look into how I can do that, thanks
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #16
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

I do wonder if this could all be battery related. If I start the car with my battery and a CTEK charger attached is it likely that the battery can be ruled out as bad?
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #17
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Hi Sensible_,
to do what you've suggested, do I just write a standard .man file with NCSExpert to flash a factory dump to the KOMBI or do I need to update the KOMBI module with WinKFP?

How do I get a factory standard file?

I've only coded with the Carly app on my phone but I'm sure I can figure it out.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #18
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
Quote:

Hi Sensible_,
to do what you've suggested, do I just write a standard .man file with NCSExpert to flash a factory dump to the KOMBI or do I need to update the KOMBI module with WinKFP?

How do I get a factory standard file?

I've only coded with the Carly app on my phone but I'm sure I can figure it out.
Hi,

You can try Winkfp and then default code using expert mode (never use blank man file - it can miss some parameters and cause headaches).

However his method was to program the KOMBI by X-Prog and a testclip. Exact same method for M3 Instrument Cluster retrofit...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #19
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

You can try Winkfp and then default code using expert mode (never use blank man file - it can miss some parameters and cause headaches).

However his method was to program the KOMBI by X-Prog and a testclip. Exact same method for M3 Instrument Cluster retrofit...
Sensible, you are awesome.

I just set my KOMBI back to stock and it looks like things may be sorted.

I will reset the proper CBS values with ISTA tomorrow.

The values look normal. 2016 dates instead of 255 months into the future etc.

I have one more question though. Do some modules below look corrupted?

Thanks!
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 03:53 AM   #20
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
Quote:
Hi,

Sensible, you are awesome.

I just set my KOMBI back to stock and it looks like things may be sorted.

[IMG]http://s32.postimg.org/ylitwvjr9/IMG_3762.jpg[/IMG]

I will reset the proper CBS values with ISTA tomorrow.

The values look normal. 2016 dates instead of 255 months into the future etc.

I have one more question though. Do some modules below look corrupted?

[IMG]http://s32.postimg.org/hzu7kddxh/info.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks!
Glad you've made progress. Fingers crossed this is the solution for you.

As BMW.. says, modules aren't corrupted. Sometimes short VIN isn't recorded in UIF correctly. If you are bothered by it just use tool32 and write vin using fg_schreiben
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 09:18 PM   #21
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Glad you've made progress. Fingers crossed this is the solution for you.

As BMW.. says, modules aren't corrupted. Sometimes short VIN isn't recorded in UIF correctly. If you are bothered by it just use tool32 and write vin using fg_schreiben
Thanks Sensible,
it's so great to have this issue resolved. I would have never guessed this was the solution.

I'm wondering now with the car being healthy, do I risk flashing the TCU with the 135i ZB to try and get 3500\3600rpm launch control for the DCT.

I don't want to screw it up and be back in a similar position.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0