F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > KW V3 vs KW DDC?
ARMA SPEED

04-11-2016, 11:50 PM   #1
duckJAI
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport Line

KW V3 vs KW DDC?

Looking to get some KWs and not sure which ones to go with. Although my driving will be 90% street and 10% aggressive/track, it's still a toss up because of the following:

KW V3
-best option for street/track performance
-option to adjust dampening and rebound for better performance while needed, compared to the DDC where the options are already "preset" by KW (this has been verified when calling them).
-a pain to have to manually adjust

KW DDC
-great for those that have adaptive control in the cars and want the ease of pressing a button to change settings, and not have to pop the hood and go under the car
-lack of flexibility if you want to go even more aggressive depending on your driving style or even track layout, as the settings are all preset and cannot be changed.

From my discussions with KW, these 2 models are in their own "leagues" and quite hard to compare. I originally thought the DDC version was pretty much a KW V3 with DDC, but this is incorrect!

Would love to hear the opinions of those who have driven with the KW V3s and/or DDCs. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
VividRacingII
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F80 M3

KW V3 gives you more ability to fine tune your suspension. With the ability to adjust the damper and compression, it provides more possibility for you to find the sweet spot for your taste of different driving purpose.

DDC gives you 3 settings to tune your suspension. It's a great overall road suspension. If you take the DDC to track, it will handle pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
FloorThe4
Private
Rep
Drives: 435i xdrive m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VividRacingII View Post
KW V3 gives you more ability to fine tune your suspension. With the ability to adjust the damper and compression, it provides more possibility for you to find the sweet spot for your taste of different driving purpose.

DDC gives you 3 settings to tune your suspension. It's a great overall road suspension. If you take the DDC to track, it will handle pretty good.
I know I am bumping an old thread but curious where the DDC in sport mode and comfort lies in the variability range on the V3's especially in terms of the stiffness setting. So is a DDC in sport mode equal to the highest stiffness setting on the V3? There is so little data on the DDC version.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 09:02 AM   #4
cola.p
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

I heard from someone that DDC is V2 with electronic adjustment. It adjusts rebound only not bump.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 02:49 PM   #5
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340 xdrive MPPSK 6-manual

Little bump..

I am aslo intersted in upgrading my suspensions.

My car is a 340i xdrive, with adaptative suspensions, M Package, on 18' summer wheels (17' with the winter wheels).

I've installed vac monoballs control arms in the front, for better steering feel and responsivness.

I would like my car to feel more connected, a bit less floaty, with less squat under acceleration, but still want a high degree of confort, if possible, as it's my daily driver. I won't track that car.

Currently, I am doubting between the following setups:

-KW ddc (to retain adaptative suspensions);

-KW V2 street confort (as I lean toward a more confortable ride);

-KW V3 (as it would allow me to customize compression and rebound, and therefore adjust the setup for a confortable ride, on paper);

My questions:

-does the ride confort of KW ddc (plug and play) is impacted (and to what extent) by the height adjustment ? In oher words, If I set up the height to max, would it be more confortable than lower (I am not interested in the lower look anyway) ? I ask this because many people seem to find the ddc to harsh, but I wonder if it's due to lowering to much the height, and because of the wheel they have.

-would the V3 be more confortable than the KW ddc, if I adjust the V3 compression/rebound settings to the soft side ?

-how the V2 Street Confort compare to the confort mode of the OEM adaptative suspension ? are they more confortable, or iare they firmer than stock confort, like OEM sport mode ?

Many thanks for you answers!
-

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07

Last edited by vcx; 11-16-2022 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 03:42 PM   #6
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
Little bump..

I am also interested in upgrading my suspensions.

-
I'm in a F31 wagon with xDrive, so not a direct comparison. However, I have the DDC suspension, in addition to VAC lower+upper monoballs. I do have it dropped, but at an appropriate level (i.e. not slammed). From what I've read, suspension travel on my ride (F31 with xDrive) is generally less forgiving than most of the other F30 setups from a baseline. I'm very pleased with my setup, which I do not track, but do drive aggressively when possible (max ~6-7/10). I'm very pleased with the control and predictability. It can be a bit firm, but it's what I'm looking for overall - putting it in comfort is plenty comfortable for me, when needed. I'd assume you're going to have similar response with V3, depending on height; and probably softer with V2 - I'd await feedback from others, however.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 04:21 AM   #7
Lada-1
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 340iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
I'm in a F31 wagon with xDrive, so not a direct comparison. However, I have the DDC suspension, in addition to VAC lower+upper monoballs. I do have it dropped, but at an appropriate level (i.e. not slammed).
I have the same car with H&R sport springs(blue ones) and gonna install the Millway lower/upper bushing and camber plate.
What spring did you used to drop it? Have installed more rigid sway bars?

Im also tempted to get new coilovers as the OEM dampers are not very well suited to handle the shorter springs. Im debating on KW V3 and Bilstein b16 both with the DDC function.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 05:46 AM   #8
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lada-1 View Post
I have the same car with H&R sport springs(blue ones) and gonna install the Millway lower/upper bushing and camber plate.
The KW DDC system I have is a complete coilover system, which has springs and adjustable height. It is plug-and-play to the OEM suspension, which I can control from the OEM rocker switch (Comfort, Sport). I have not messed with the sway bars.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 06:33 AM   #9
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Im also tempted to get new coilovers as the OEM dampers are not very well suited to handle the shorter springs. Im debating on KW V3 and Bilstein b16 both with the DDC function.
KW V3 doesn't have ddc. KW V3 and ddc are just different types of coils. K3 have rebound/compression settings (unlike KW ddc), whereas ddc is adaptative, but with only height adjustement.

Hence my initial question about which would be more confortable, yet sporty.

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 06:37 AM   #10
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
I'm in a F31 wagon with xDrive, so not a direct comparison. However, I have the DDC suspension, in addition to VAC lower+upper monoballs. I do have it dropped, but at an appropriate level (i.e. not slammed). From what I've read, suspension travel on my ride (F31 with xDrive) is generally less forgiving than most of the other F30 setups from a baseline. I'm very pleased with my setup, which I do not track, but do drive aggressively when possible (max ~6-7/10). I'm very pleased with the control and predictability. It can be a bit firm, but it's what I'm looking for overall - putting it in comfort is plenty comfortable for me, when needed. I'd assume you're going to have similar response with V3, depending on height; and probably softer with V2 - I'd await feedback from others, however.
Did you try several height level? do you know if it impact a lot confort ?

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 07:54 AM   #11
Lada-1
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 340iX

Quote:
KW V3 doesn't have ddc. KW V3 and ddc are just different types of coils. K3 have rebound/compression settings (unlike KW ddc), whereas ddc is adaptative, but with only height adjustement.
See the link. On their site it says "Damping adjustment: Rebound and Compression Damping"

https://www.kwsuspensions.net/shop?c...oversuspension
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 02:02 PM   #12
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
See the link. On their site it says "Damping adjustment: Rebound and Compression Damping"

https://www.kwsuspensions.net/shop?c...oversuspension
I know.. but I think it's a mistake. In this site, they say otherwise:

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/produc...rs/ddc#ddc-pnp

And in the national websites they also don't talk about rebound and compression settings.

But it would be great if the ddc were also adjustable other than height.

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07

Last edited by vcx; 11-17-2022 at 06:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 06:58 PM   #13
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you try several height level? do you know if it impact a lot confort ?
I previously ran too low, which was rather harsh (bottomed out often). Anything you choose will be a balance between comfort and control. As I mentioned, I'm happy with my balance. It is likely too stiff for some, but not uncomfortable at all (for me).

Quote:
But it would be great if the ddc were also adjustable other than height.
Perhaps they are simply referencing the "adjustment" that can be made from the cabin - Comfort vs Sport?
Appreciate 1
vcx81.50