BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Coating vs Film?

04-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
TheNeonTiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Coating vs Film?

After a ton of googling and forum research, I still don't really understand all of the film and coating options and benefits.

So these seem to be the top coatings:
Opticoat Pro+
CQuartz Finest
Gyeon Quartz

And there seems to really only be one top film:
XPEL Ultimate

If someone wants the maximum shine and maximum protection from gravel chips, etc., which is your best option? Also if you have any photos/experience with these products, it would be great to see the results all in one place!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

The Xpel is "self-healing" and good to protect against chips and such if you are keeping the car long term or otherwise tend to get lots of paint chips and dents. I don't keep my cars longer than 3 years so the coatings are enough for me. The coatings keep a great shine and make it super easy to clean the car. Nothing sticks to the OptiCoat I have on my car.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #3
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Best option is film at the most exposed places and than coating on top of that (on the whole car).
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
TheNeonTiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid
Best option is film at the most exposed places and than coating on top of that (on the whole car).
Can you put a coating over a film? Wouldn't it build up at the seams or leave lines when the films were taken off or reapplied?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 05:37 PM   #5
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeonTiger View Post
Opticoat Pro+
CQuartz Finest
Gyeon Quartz
There was some discussion in another thread about Nanolex Si3D. I'd love it if a detailer would comment on these.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 11:55 PM   #6
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeonTiger
After a ton of googling and forum research, I still don't really understand all of the film and coating options and benefits.

Opticoat Pro+
CQuartz Finest
Gyeon Quartz

XPEL Ultimate

If someone wants the maximum shine and maximum protection from gravel chips, etc., which is your best option? Also if you have any photos/experience with these products, it would be great to see the results all in one place!
Be wary of the coatings. Most are overpriced and won't last as advertised. 6 months should be the max. Maybe a year if its sitting around. The hard "glass" coatings are interesting. They don't flex with the paint which concerns me. The coatings are also extremely hard to buff. They acquire scratches all the same. If you really want a coating save some money and do it yourself. $100, but prep is the name of the game.

If you want real impact resistance and scratch resistance, go with the expel. I've decided to ditch both and go with sealers and waxes. I enjoy the process. Clay, M power-lock sealant and collinite 845.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:05 AM   #7
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

I had Opticoat on my 1 series and even after 3 years it appeared to do it's job as well as it did on day 1.

Would like to try Xpel Ultimate on the M2 however it appears there are no installers any closer than 2700 kms away!! so i'll be sticking to Opticoat again.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 05:28 AM   #8
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy.
I had Opticoat on my 1 series and even after 3 years it appeared to do it's job as well as it did on day 1.

Would like to try Xpel Ultimate on the M2 however it appears there are no installers any closer than 2700 kms away!! so i'll be sticking to Opticoat again.
I've had the same experience with Opticoat. Same shine almost 3 years later.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 05:40 AM   #9
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Go bare. Sealant and wax.

I'd definitely wrap the front end, though.
      04-19-2016, 06:49 AM   #10
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post

Xpel is good, but its not the only PPF on the market. I've had the 3M Pro film on my current car for 4 years now, and it's great. I'm sure there must be an installer near you that offers a competitive product?
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2016, 07:14 AM   #11
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
Xpel is good, but its not the only PPF on the market. I've had the 3M Pro film on my current car for 4 years now, and it's great. I'm sure there must be an installer near you that offers a competitive product?
I have had 3M ventureshield on a previous car that was installed locally, that was a few years ago, although good i wasn't overly impressed with the quality & look of the film. Does the 3M Pro Film self heal etc?

Edit - just researched it, appears the Pro Film is a big step up from the Ventureshield, will see if anyone locally can install, thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #12
BurpZilla
Avid Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White M2 6spd

I had 3M on my last car...the film turned opaque and when I took it off it ripped some of the paint off.

..the more I read about it ceramic coating seems the way to go!
Alpine White BMW M2 6spd; 2015 Arctic White Yukon XL Denali
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #13
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeonTiger View Post

Opticoat Pro+
CQuartz Finest
Gyeon Quartz

XPEL Ultimate

Your best option, IMO, is to wrap the front end and selected other areas of the car in film and coat the remainder. I recommend a full-coverage film kit on the front bumper, hood and fenders, plus film on the side mirrors, A-pillars and rocker panels (The huge rear fenders will also be a vulnerable area on this car, but that area comes with a fairly large piece of film from the factory). This will protect the most vulnerable areas from rock chips, and the rest of the car will have a durable, easy-to-maintain, high-gloss finish. My partner and I have performed many film/coating installs and we generally consider coating over the film to be unnecessary. The film is a sacrificial layer - let it do its job, and replace sections if they get damaged - especially in the case of XPEL, due to the fact that it is very glossy and has self-healing properties.

I consider most of the coatings we have used to be comparable in terms of results (but have not used the Gyeon yet), with one exception. My current favorite is Kamikaze - the finish is phenomenal (noticeably glossier and wetter-looking than Opticoat or 22PLE, for example), and it should cure to a greater thickness and is expected to last longer. That being said, we coated my mother's RR Sport with Opticoat over a year ago and, with a simple hand wash, it still looks as good as the day we coated it. Regardless of which product you choose, the coating will make your life much easier in terms of maintaining the car's finish.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #14
saint3448
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Sunset Orange M2C

I had Modesta PD coating on my E46. It was pretty phenomenal.

My M2 is getting a full Xpel Ultimate front cap with Modesta BC-05 over it, and BC-06 on the wheels.

Xpel doesn't have UV protection, so I consider both to be required.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 06:58 PM   #15
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
I agree - Modesta is outstanding ... Really impressive stuff, but it is a significantly more costly product than most other coatings.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #16
BC321
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Anyone have experience using Suntek? The guy s who was recommended to me uses that brand. Any words of advice would be appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #17
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

I'm currently in phase 1 of my protection plan. I have just put on the opti-coat. After this completed, i will need to find someone that will do the XPEL wrap for me on the front.

In my opinion, I would seal and wrap.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #18
supersam
Da Baus
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT, RA, E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
I'm currently in phase 1 of my protection plan. I have just put on the opti-coat. After this completed, i will need to find someone that will do the XPEL wrap for me on the front.

In my opinion, I would seal and wrap.
Many recommend if you're doing the bare minimum initially, do the film wrap on the front end. The rationale being any 'coating' won't do you favors when it comes to rock chips and real paint protection. If you get a film first on the front end+rockers, at least you've covered the highest risk areas for debris impact.

Since there are precuts available for the whole car, you can xpel the whole car in stages ( stage 1 front+rockers, stage 2 doors/rear fenders, stage 3 roof and rear). Although many argue that the roof should be part of stage 1 since our cars are low and the front half of the roof is a front-facing impact zone. I haven't quite heard of putting film over a coat, I usually hear the other way around with film then coat.

I have xpel ultimate applied to the whole car with the precuts, and ceramic pro over it. Additionally ceramic pro on the wheels, calipers, and ceramic pro rain on the windshield. Lmk if you got any q's about my experience thus far (it hasn't been long haha)
E46 330ci --> S54 M3 xplant vzv 3bananas (retired)
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #19
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I'm probably getting a black gloss roof wrap soon. As for the front - im being quoted at 2200. for the full front. So i'll have to see if i want to do that later.

I would agree than an XPEL would help with the debris. The opti-coat or ceramic pro was just my initial new car prep. I'm still researching good XPEL guys in my area.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 07:58 PM   #20
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I'm very curious how many people get partial front wrap vs full front wrap.

I'm getting two quotes:

Partial front would be whole bumper, partial front fenders and partial front hood.

other is Full fendors, full hood, full bumper.

difference is about a 1 Grand
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #21
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

I'm going to wrap the full front and then coat the entire car.

BUT...May copy the stealth wrap LBB car. $4500 ouch !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #22
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsport View Post
I'm going to wrap the full front and then coat the entire car.

BUT...May copy the stealth wrap LBB car. $4500 ouch !!!
Full Front wrap is going cost me 2000. It hurts because if i want stealth, i have spent an addition 6K in the future.
Appreciate 0