BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #1
shotor
Rep
Drives: 1M, 997 GT3, Spec E46

New Tires

Its time for new tires and with all the new tires that are coming out, was wondering what people are liking out there?

Normally I would go with my Michelin SS, but I'm thinking I was something with less grip. Something closer to the original tires. This car doesn't go to the track [I have something else for that]. The easy to slide nature of the car is the main reason that I have this car, and would hate to ruin that with something so sticky that I would have to be going at stupids speeds before it comes fun.

Anyone else on the same page?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:31 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotor
Its time for new tires and with all the new tires that are coming out, was wondering what people are liking out there?

Normally I would go with my Michelin SS, but I'm thinking I was something with less grip. Something closer to the original tires. This car doesn't go to the track [I have something else for that]. The easy to slide nature of the car is the main reason that I have this car, and would hate to ruin that with something so sticky that I would have to be going at stupids speeds before it comes fun.

Anyone else on the same page?
I know sometimes less grip is more fun but not in the 1M. The traction control is too intrusive and bogs the car down when there is poor grip and if you turn it off you will end up in a ditch, upside down or at the very least soiled underwear. As I said I understand . When I had a 325i with all season tires and it was fun to break the rear loose. After I switched to SSs the car gripped but I couldn't break the rear loose which actually made the car a little less fun but 1M has no problem breaking any tire loose. Best wishes and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 03:19 AM   #3
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I know sometimes less grip is more fun but not in the 1M. The traction control is too intrusive and bogs the car down when there is poor grip and if you turn it off you will end up in a ditch, upside down or at the very least soiled underwear.
There is an easy fix for this; black underwear
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #4
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
I wouldn't put the SSs ahead of the PS2s for grip. Check out the Bridgestone S04 PP. There might be a newer version. My next tire will be cup2s. GL
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Might also consider Continental Extremecontact DW.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
shotor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I know sometimes less grip is more fun but not in the 1M. The traction control is too intrusive and bogs the car down when there is poor grip and if you turn it off you will end up in a ditch, upside down or at the very least soiled underwear. As I said I understand . When I had a 325i with all season tires and it was fun to break the rear loose. After I switched to SSs the car gripped but I couldn't break the rear loose which actually made the car a little less fun but 1M has no problem breaking any tire loose. Best wishes and good luck.
I drive with TC off 99% of the time. So far, so good. Perhaps our uses of this car are different.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
shotor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
I wouldn't put the SSs ahead of the PS2s for grip. Check out the Bridgestone S04 PP. There might be a newer version. My next tire will be cup2s. GL
I use the SS as my "winter" tire on the GT3 and it has been very impressive so far. Does very well in the rain and is pretty close to the NT-01 on the track. That being said the Cup2 or RE-71R are my next tires, they are just not available in the right sizes yet for that car yet. Friends running the Cup2 are going faster than the NT01 and appears to last 50%+ more. The RE-71R is supposed to be the same results, but at a lower price point. Both tires are available in stock 1M tire sizes.

The RE-11 would be good choice, but cant justify paying as much as RE-71R.

Anyone run the S-04?
Appreciate 0