F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dealer changed the wrong brakes.
proTUNING Freaks

05-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: //'12 F30 328i\\

Dealer changed the wrong brakes.

Quick back story: Took my car in for it's 45K service about a month ago where I requested that they change the rear brake pads and rotors. Mind you the rotors appear jagged and rough for lack of a better word. The pads look like they are suffering for it, as in you can see some chunks of the pad peeling off. No brainer right? NOPE. All they did was reset the mileage and tell me that the pads are still in spec of the free maintenance, because there are 5mm left.
Ok, I didn't argue too much. Left kept it moving.

While swapping from my Winter wheels I noticed the same rear brakes are looking rather thin on the driver's side but fairly chunky on the passenger side. I figured, ok they HAVE to change it now. I make an appointment to get a much needed alignment and add that to the list of things for them to address this past Saturday.
I get the car back, alignment done, brakes are surely done this time....wait, They changed the fronts??

I mean while I'm glad for the fresh non rusty rotors and fresh pads, I didn't need those immediately. I really need the rears done. The Service guys tell the same ol story.. "Well the rears are actually in spec."
I ask.. Did you even LOOK at the rear? I specifically told you that they need to be changed. SEE THIS PICTURE! One side is worn down significantly. They probably just looked at the right side and said, Welp, that looks good. He wanted me to bring the car back today, but I have work and not going to inconvenience myself because they messed up. Very annoying.

05-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Habberstad?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcs View Post
Habberstad?
Freeport. New guy.

Other than that, their service is always top notch.
      05-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
la02max
Private
Rep
Drives: E53 4.8is

Kinda funny - I had a flat tire, and I have the wheel/tire replacement warranty. Brought it to BMW and they gave me the wrong tire. When scheduling the appointment, I told them the exact brand, model and size. I did the same thing when the service advisor checked in my car. Still the wrong tire. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #5
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by la02max View Post
Kinda funny - I had a flat tire, and I have the wheel/tire replacement warranty. Brought it to BMW and they gave me the wrong tire. When scheduling the appointment, I told them the exact brand, model and size. I did the same thing when the service advisor checked in my car. Still the wrong tire. lol
SMH. Makes you wonder huh?
      05-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Technically the maintenance plan covers maintenance indicated by the Condition Based Service indicator. The brakes have a physical wear sensor that will indicate brake service is due when it touches the rotor. This is one service that can also be determined by taking measurements.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

05-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
mr shickadance
Rep
Drives: 328 sport wagon

if anything this tells you the detail and attentiveness of the dealership. might be worth the extra trek out to another spot.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 12:02 AM   #8
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by __ View Post
Technically the maintenance plan covers maintenance indicated by the Condition Based Service indicator. The brakes have a physical wear sensor that will indicate brake service is due when it touches the rotor. This is one service that can also be determined by taking measurements.
I believe there is only one brake pad sensor and it is on the inside pad on the front left brakes.

In this case, it's his rear brakes that are low and there are no sensors to warn you about this.

At least this is the case with the Brembo (M sport in my case) spec'd brake calipers. I'm assuming this is the case with all lines of brakes? Just the single sensor in the front left corner?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 01:47 AM   #9
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
I believe there is only one brake pad sensor and it is on the inside pad on the front left brakes.

In this case, it's his rear brakes that are low and there are no sensors to warn you about this.

At least this is the case with the Brembo (M sport in my case) spec'd brake calipers. I'm assuming this is the case with all lines of brakes? Just the single sensor in the front left corner?
Can someone confirm?
I know the e46 had 1 sensor for front brake and 1 sensor for the rear
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 03:01 AM   #10
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
Can someone confirm?
I know the e46 had 1 sensor for front brake and 1 sensor for the rear
E39 had 2 sensors as well. I highly doubt the F30 only has 1.
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:18 AM   #11
daberlin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EBII MPPK/BBK

Garage List
F30 has one front and one rear.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #12
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by daberlin View Post
F30 has one front and one rear.
Ahh ok! That does make more sense.
I guess because I've only had the shop working on the fronts they've only commented on "1" sensor.

Thanks for clarifying that!

Please disregard my last post haha
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #13
daberlin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EBII MPPK/BBK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
Ahh ok! That does make more sense.
I guess because I've only had the shop working on the fronts they've only commented on "1" sensor.

Thanks for clarifying that!

Please disregard my last post haha
No worries. My Porsche has four; one on all four wheels. I try to carefully remove them when I do pads to keep from having to replace them.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #14
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I know on the e90's and most likely F30's as well, there are two sensors. Both on the passenger side front and rear. Now in my case, the driver's side was worn all the way down negating the sensor.
      05-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #15
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Other "F" ups on their part:
I had to go back 4 days later after getting an alignment because the car was tracking worst than when I brought it in. It was now pulling to the right and felt unstable on the highway. Also I wanted them to address the rear brakes as they should have to begin with.
SA tried to say that they don't guarantee the alignment once you drive off the lot because i may have hit a pothole and thrown it off. So you mean to tell me that within a day or so, the alignment and toe were thrown off by this much? ( I'll update this thread with the readouts when I get home). After some back and forth he said he'll check with BMW to see if I can be covered without paying for another alignment.

5 Days later (4 since I guess I shouldn't count Sunday), They call me to get my car, I pick it up, on my way home I get a call from the SA. "Hey, can you come back? The valet accidently put someone else's registration sticker on your car."

WHATT?? I stop the car, get out and check, sure enough mine has been replace with someone's else reg sticker for a 2014 Convertible. Now I drive all the way back and want to know.. WHY was my registration sticker removed? Where is it?
SA claimed that the valet got my car mixed up with another customers. They find mine folded up in the trash part ripped and tape it back to my windshield..looking like utter s#3t. Her profusely apologized but I was over this entire ordeal with dealing with them.

TLDR: Dealer messed up alignment, argued with me to fix it for free. Fixed it then destroyed my registration sticker.

Thank goodness it's only $3 to replace, but the headache is still annoying.

Last edited by IllLojik; 05-10-2016 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0