THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Turner Motorsports tuner vs JB4

05-07-2016, 01:05 AM   #1
JoeyF228
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Turner Motorsports tuner vs JB4

Recently purchased a CPO 228i M Sport, auto trans and want to do a few upgrades of course. JB4 has a great reputation and power numbers look good. I'm curious if anybody is using the tuner from Turner Motorsports?

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...dule/?pdk=BQYD

I don't think i would be using a lot of different maps but i do like that the JB4 has boost by gear and ethanol capability, cheaper price doesn't hurt either but tuning is something i don't mind paying a little extra for if its worth it. I would rather have safety and great drive-ability than trying to max it out for the most hp. I'll send an email to Turner and see if i can get a little more detailed info on it.

I will be getting a downpipe eventually and maybe a few other bolt ons like a chargepipe and maybe GFB DV+ diverter valve upgrade.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2016, 07:54 AM   #2
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyF228 View Post
Recently purchased a CPO 228i M Sport, auto trans and want to do a few upgrades of course. JB4 has a great reputation and power numbers look good. I'm curious if anybody is using the tuner from Turner Motorsports?

I don't think i would be using a lot of different maps but i do like that the JB4 has boost by gear and ethanol capability, cheaper price doesn't hurt either but tuning is something i don't mind paying a little extra for if its worth it. I would rather have safety and great drive-ability than trying to max it out for the most hp. I'll send an email to Turner and see if i can get a little more detailed info on it.

I will be getting a downpipe eventually and maybe a few other bolt ons like a chargepipe and maybe GFB DV+ diverter valve upgrade.

If you want a list of upgrades and an order here is my input and reasoning:

1- Intake. Basic first mod for almost everyone. Dinan, BMS, Gruppe M, all good stuff. See if you can find a used one from a member and save some money. Will give you a better sounding car and adds a lil bit of power. Required for any tune you will go in the future.

2- Brakes. Stainless steel hoses, higher boiling point fluid, and aggressive street pads. The oem brakes are really good and surprised me alot on occasion but its nothing compared to SS hoses/fluid and pads. I'm using yellowstuffs and so far they are perfect. Here are the part numbers for a 235 (check to see if the same for your car, might not be) EBC DP42130R- FRONT + EBC DP42133R- REAR.

3- Wheels. Oem's look nice, they don't weigh that much and will work. I keep them around for a winter set. Choose a wheel design you like that are light and strong.

4- Tune. This is a slippery slope. Dinan/JB4/AA8 what ever you choose, there are pros and cons to all.

5- DP. Cattless will give you a little more power than catted but throw a CEL code. Also bad for environment and a bit louder. They can make your car smell like exhaust. You can go catted and not get a CEL light but you still may get one in a year or so. Most tunes will remove the CEL light.

6- Exterior/Interior mods. Painted reflectors, splitters, diffusers, tints, stickers etc.. Look into torque app for realtime monitoring oil and things.
This is all about personality and fitment. Stay away from ebay unless you know what your getting into.

7- Suspension. Springs/coilovers. Pros and cons to each here as well. If you just want to be lower, get springs. If your tracking or want to spend 4k, go with coilovers.

8- Don't buy anything until you read posts and others comments. Ask questions. How was the quality, the fitment? Etc...

Enjoy your car, take it on the track, have a great time!
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 2
      05-09-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

JB4 is a complete stage 2 with more features, more power, more flexibility, more support and free firmware upgrade for life. It also costs less

Jb4 for sure

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 06:04 PM   #4
JoeyF228
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
JB4 is a complete stage 2 with more features, more power, more flexibility, more support and free firmware upgrade for life. It also costs less

Jb4 for sure
After doing more research i have to agree, i don't plan on changing maps often but it will be nice to be able to if needed and run some ethanol fuels when i want to go to the track. I'd still like to hear from anybody running the Turner if they like it.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 08:29 PM   #5
i8ur911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 228i MSport

My own personal opinion......

The JB4 it's a scary mess. The unit is always in beta mode and free firmware for life means Burger is always "testing" the software.....it's never "done".

Simply look at what you want out of a unit. If it's peak power, then go with JB4. If it's proven reliability, then go with the Turner module.

Ultimately 2 very different modules from 2 VERY different companies with different philosophies.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
My own personal opinion......

The JB4 it's a scary mess. The unit is always in beta mode and free firmware for life means Burger is always "testing" the software.....it's never "done".

Simply look at what you want out of a unit. If it's peak power, then go with JB4. If it's proven reliability, then go with the Turner module.

Ultimately 2 very different modules from 2 VERY different companies with different philosophies.

Best of luck!
So now free firmware upgrade is a bad thing ? Maybe it means new features are developed every day ? The n54 has been out almost 10 years ago and still gets new features , to me and the rest of the world that's a good thing

This misconception of the jb4 not being reliable is a joke. .. the jb4 on its own outsells all the tuners combined (in the US) ... it is offered with 14 days money back guarantee ... if the jb4 is not reliable burger tuning would be bankrupt
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 11:26 PM   #7
JoeyF228
Private First Class
Rep

I trust Burger and Turner, i sent an email to Burger before i bought the car when i was still looking at 135's also and they kinda steered me away from the 228 like they didn't have a lot of faith in it. I'm not trying to go to crazy as i have a really good warranty and my dealer is cool but still i'll be happy with the gains that either company advertises.

Couple quotes from Burger
"135i with DCT is by far better choice. DCT is fine as we have the same year and model 135i with stage 1 upgraded turbos, JB4, meth and other stuff. You can mix up to 50% e85 with no issues in most cases.

With 228i make sure you add EWG adapter and data cable or bluetooth kit to your order.
You can mix 30% e85 with pump fuel. Map 7 is pretty aggressive map and we tell customers to use it with caution. All info on the N20 JB4 is here. http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15536"

"From the vehicles you have mentioned as Ando recommended I would twist your arm to go the 135 route. There is so much more room for tuning with it considering you will be starting where the 228i is maxed. The best bet is to drive the 135i, besides the extra torque from the larger motor the engine tone vs a 4cyl cannot be compared."
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 11:54 PM   #8
JoeyF228
Private First Class
Rep

Am i crazy or do these look identical?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Am i crazy or do these look identical?
You are not crazy

Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #10
i8ur911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 228i MSport

Quote:
You are not crazy
Correct, the look identical. The difference is what's on the inside......just like ANY computer.

Mike, we ALL know you are a die hard JB4 supporter.....we get it.
Appreciate 4
      05-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911
Quote:
You are not crazy
Correct, the look identical. The difference is what's on the inside......just like ANY computer.

Mike, we ALL know you are a die hard JB4 supporter.....we get it.
we carry 80 brands ... including almost 10 that offer a tune for this engine

and yes I am a die hard fan and I used jb4 on all my bmw.

if it was not in my opinion the best piggyback available I would not use it on my car.

every tune has its share of the market and the jb4 is not the best choice for every user. it depends on what he/she Is looking for in a tune. but to say the jb4 is not reliable is an opinion based on no facts considering the number of jb4 sold and the ratio of happy customers

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 05-10-2016 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:05 PM   #12
JoeyF228
Private First Class
Rep

I got an email back from Turner, they don't have any ethanol support or anything for catless downpipes.

JB4 is the choice although ESS has some options too.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #13
Csmoove195
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is AW/CR 6 Speed

I may be biased but I've have a stage 1 bms in the car since 1 month into owning my n20, and now I'm full bolt on with a stage 2 jb4 and it's almost 2 years with no problems but 1. I did have an issue with the stage 1 board burning out. I already knew beforehand that I was hooked on what Berger was capable of when it came to plug and play. Not only that but I learned quickly what kinda power could be applied to the engine with multiple mods that won't break the bank. But just remember that the more mods you put on, the more risk you have of wearing the engine and its internals out prematurely, or even replacing maintenance related parts ahead of schedule like spark plugs, injectors, oil, etc...
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csmoove195 View Post
I may be biased but I've have a stage 1 bms in the car since 1 month into owning my n20, and now I'm full bolt on with a stage 2 jb4 and it's almost 2 years with no problems but 1. I did have an issue with the stage 1 board burning out. I already knew beforehand that I was hooked on what Berger was capable of when it came to plug and play. Not only that but I learned quickly what kinda power could be applied to the engine with multiple mods that won't break the bank. But just remember that the more mods you put on, the more risk you have of wearing the engine and its internals out prematurely, or even replacing maintenance related parts ahead of schedule, park plugs, injectors, oil, etc...
Keep in mind JB and Jb4 maps (and all the other proven tunes of course) are tested for thousands of miles in order to ensure that they are safe

AFR, timing, fuel and wastegate duty cycle are some of the few variables monitored to make sure these maps are not pushing the car to its limit but rather adding power while staying in the safe zone. At the end of the day 95% of users are not track racers

Adding mods and running the recommended maps will not wear internals prematurely ( proven by cars that have been tuned for over 100k miles)

Just make sure you run the recommended maps and keep your car maintained as recommended
These engines are not the most reliable out there, which is why i recommend not to go too crazy with mods and stick with FBO mods only (Tune,Downpipe,intercooler and charge pipe)

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #15
JoeyF228
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Keep in mind JB and Jb4 maps (and all the other proven tunes of course) are tested for thousands of miles in order to ensure that they are safe

AFR, timing, fuel and wastegate duty cycle are some of the few variables monitored to make sure these maps are not pushing the car to its limit but rather adding power while staying in the safe zone. At the end of the day 95% of users are not track racers

Adding mods and running the recommended maps will not wear internals prematurely ( proven by cars that have been tuned for over 100k miles)

Just make sure you run the recommended maps and keep your car maintained as recommended
These engines are not the most reliable out there, which is why i recommend not to go too crazy with mods and stick with FBO mods only (Tune,Downpipe,intercooler and charge pipe)
I don't plan to go too crazy, tune with downpipe and chargepipe should be plenty although i would like to do an intercooler at some point too. I'm guessing stock M235i or M2 intercoolers won't work or too expensive to make worthwhile?

I'm most likely going to be changing the oil every 5000-6000 miles anyway, i don't really go for these super long intervals.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't plan to go too crazy, tune with downpipe and chargepipe should be plenty although i would like to do an intercooler at some point too. I'm guessing stock M235i or M2 intercoolers won't work or too expensive to make worthwhile?

I'm most likely going to be changing the oil every 5000-6000 miles anyway, i don't really go for these super long intervals.
Use map 2 on the Jb4 and call it a day

Appreciate 0