F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Help - Will this muffler work with a 328i f30?
Studio RSR

05-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
ty666
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435xi

Help - Will this muffler work with a 328i f30?

I recently did a muffler delete. The sound is nice outside the car & not too loud, however inside the car it's a little too loud for me (my wife like it though)

The car is a 2013 328i comes with a single muffler with dual tips on one side. I replaced the bumper & rear diffuser with a 335i bumper, removed the muffler & did straight pipes with 1 exhaust tip on each side. Now I want to add a muffler to muffle the sound a bit. I found magnaflow with a single inlet & dual outlet (one outlet to each side) that's the only one I could find & dimesions seem smaller than the origonal bmw muffler so it should fit. But the website says it's for Camaro/Firebird. (what does that mean? it won't work with my car? or is the sound tuned to sound like a camaro car?)

I was under the impression if a muffler fits, it's supposed to work, cuz it just muffles the sound. Any of you who have more experience with cars know if this should work?

http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partnumber=12267

so question is, as long as there's enough space for the muffler to fit, it should work, right? cuz how worse could it be than running with no muffler at all, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #2
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

as long as the inlet size matches the mid pipe in your car, it will fit with modifications made to the mounting points.

but it sounds like you are looking for a resonator more than a muffler.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
ty666
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
as long as the inlet size matches the mid pipe in your car, it will fit with modifications made to the mounting points.

but it sounds like you are looking for a resonator more than a muffler.
Yeah the inlet size matches the pipe in the car (3") & outlet is 2.5" same as the straight pipes i'm currently running.

I was thinking of putting a resonator, but the drone inside the car is really bad, I feel like i'm driving a crappy old car. I've already spent money on the muffler delete/straight pipes, around $400 & I'm afraid if I spend more money on a resonator & I still find it too much that I will have to spend money again to put a muffle,r so I"m just playing it safe. Any improvement in sound over stock is good.
Appreciate 0