BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Grinding noise in rear???

05-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #1
Jady Pham
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW F87 M2

Grinding noise in rear???

Hey guys,

I've been getting these weird metal grinding noise in the rear axle at low speed lately. Im not sure what it is, i was thinking it might be road debris getting into the rotors or something? anyone else experiencing the same issue or know what it might be? thanks

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, I will be making videos on the M2
Instagram: Tuphamous
Youtube: The Anatomy of Cars
Appreciate 2
      05-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
SGL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine M2

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jady Pham View Post
Hey guys,

I've been getting these weird metal grinding noise in the rear axle at low speed lately. Im not sure what it is, i was thinking it might be road debris getting into the rotors or something? anyone else experiencing the same issue or know what it might be? thanks
I had a lot of it during my weekend at the track, so i think its pebbles in the brake shield, there is a thread in the F80 forums, that i picked up on track, at least i hope because it sounds horrible!
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

It's the e-diff......
      05-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

I hear that too, it's normal.

Soon.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

It's either the diff or stones in the heat shields.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #6
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Hey guys,

Unfortunately for me, the city decided that my street needed to be "re-paved" and proceeded to spray a bunch of tar and then literally have a dump truck dump a shit ton of rocks. No top coat, no sealant, no trucks to roll that shit flat, not even the courtesy of some street sweepers. Nothing but daily traffic to pack it down. I don't live on a very busy street so sadly, it will be months before this sorts itself out. Anyway, I got a piece of gravel caught somewhere in my rear wheel/rotor area. I immediately stopped as I was only driving 5 mph. Drove so I could hear it. Definitely coincided with wheel rotation. I got out to look. Couldn't see it. Had to get going. It ground itself out after about 100 yards. Was super painful to listen to. Hopefully didn't do any actual damage.

Appreciate 2
      05-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion
Quote:
Hey guys,

Unfortunately for me, the city decided that my street needed to be "re-paved" and proceeded to spray a bunch of tar and then literally have a dump truck dump a shit ton of rocks. No top coat, no sealant, no trucks to roll that shit flat, not even the courtesy of some street sweepers. Nothing but daily traffic to pack it down. I don't live on a very busy street so sadly, it will be months before this sorts itself out. Anyway, I got a piece of gravel caught somewhere in my rear wheel/rotor area. I immediately stopped as I was only driving 5 mph. Drove so I could hear it. Definitely coincided with wheel rotation. I got out to look. Couldn't see it. Had to get going. It ground itself out after about 100 yards. Was super painful to listen to. Hopefully didn't do any actual damage.

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7387/...6ccdd30a_b.jpg[/img]

Common issue.

You can try reversing and stomping on the brakes and sometimes it will dislodge the rock.
Appreciate 2
      05-09-2016, 05:04 PM   #8
LuisMH
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Hey guys,

Same happens to me...
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #9
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Common issue.

You can try reversing and stomping on the brakes and sometimes it will dislodge the rock.
Will give that a shot next time it happens. Literally happened to me on the way home just now. My wife was outside talking to a neighbor and heard me coming before she had line of sight. She was like, "what's wrong with your car?!!". Shit ground out right as I was pulling into the driveway. Naturally, I was cussing up a storm. Had to apologize to the neighbor.

/sigh
Appreciate 3
      05-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #10
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
Will give that a shot next time it happens. Literally happened to me on the way home just now. My wife was outside talking to a neighbor and heard me coming before she had line of sight. She was like, "what's wrong with your car?!!". Shit ground out right as I was pulling into the driveway. Naturally, I was cussing up a storm. Had to apologize to the neighbor.

/sigh
There is a huge thread over on the M3/4 Forums for the brake shield. It seems to be a common issue on all M cars.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1052226
Appreciate 2
      05-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #11
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:

Hate when they pave roads like this, stupid lazy ass cheap paving technique

And what's up with the trash can in the background trying to fit that box in? LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #12
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
Hate when they pave roads like this, stupid lazy ass cheap paving technique

And what's up with the trash can in the background trying to fit that box in? LOL
Yeah, it's fucking terrible. I had to buy some armadillo elite's just so I could ride my damn bike for more than 100 yards. If I knew how to successfully sue the city, I would.

Not my house but it's anti-over-zealous-garbage-people that pick up anything that is not literally in the recycle bin. In other words, these people are trying to be good to planet earth.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 09:14 PM   #13
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Not my house but it's anti-over-zealous-garbage-people that pick up anything that is not literally in the recycle bin. In other words, these people are trying to be good to planet earth.
Ah, typical Austin. It's either the hipsters or the hippies... lol
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 09:38 PM   #14
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Rocks in the brake shields, happened to me in the F80
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2016, 11:39 PM   #15
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Rocks in the brake shields, happened to me in the F80
Thank God.. I've heard this 2 or 3 times now and it sounded AWFUL. It did sound like it came from the rear so I actually stuck my hand in between the shield and rotor and lodged some pebbles out. Had no idea others were experiencing this.. so I had hoped I solved the issue but was unsure. Glad to know I'm not the only one.
      05-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #16
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCirc View Post
Thank God.. I've heard this 2 or 3 times now and it sounded AWFUL. It did sound like it came from the rear so I actually stuck my hand in between the shield and rotor and lodged some pebbles out. Had no idea others were experiencing this.. so I had hoped I solved the issue but was unsure. Glad to know I'm not the only one.
There's a TSB on the M3/M4 not sure about the M2 but you can just bend the soft aluminum shield back a bit and that will fix the problem. Mine happened after driving on to the gravel parking lot at the Nurburgring. I knew what it was immediately.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #17
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
What. The. F*ck.

Who the hell paves like this? That is appalling.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #18
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
What. The. F*ck.

It's called tar and chip. And it's terrible. I live in the state of Pennsylvania and this happens a ton on decently traveled back roads. I went on one the other day because my buddy was like "Hey this is a nice winding road" and I wasn't familiar with the roads. I immediately regretted it after I heard stones crushing the underside of the car, lol. That is probably how I got all of those pebbles in my vertical air slats in the front bumper! Luckily didn't get the griding issue, but I had it on my E46 M3 once and thought my pads were worn down to metal on metal grinding!
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #19
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
What. The. F*ck.

appalling? oil and rock roads are the norm in rural areas. maybe not residential austin, but hardly appalling.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #20
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9uwu View Post
appalling? oil and rock roads are the norm in rural areas. maybe not residential austin, but hardly appalling.
I didn't mean appalling at the construction method, just at the really shoddy job they did...
Appreciate 0