E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > everything I know from E90 and versions

04-01-2005, 10:04 AM   #1
RikfromBelgium
Rep
Drives:

everything I know from E90 and versions

Hi,

well as I said, i'm new here so I'm not sure what you guys already know.
The new E90 3 series will be available in coupé and retractable hardtop version. Wether or not there will also be a softtop 3 series is unclear to me, sources aren't in sinc.
Rumours also are that the retractable hardtop on the " 4 series " will be Carbon Fibre, to ensure the driving dynamics BMW is known for.
I have been a member from many sites, like Germancarfans, Carspyshots,... and I know an insider who posts there on a regular base: SCOTT26. I don't know if you know this guy, but I'll post his info here just in case
there can be some contradiction, as info tends to evolve

Quote:
As much as it was an internal secret BMW. management confirmed internally that the replacement 3er coupe/ cabrio will be designated 4er .
Knowing how much the 3 means BMW will introduce the M3 sedan and more than likely a Touring model to challenge rampant C-Klasse AMG cars.

The coupe it is not a folding hard top but a winter hardtop . The canvas roof is a variation on the 6er fin roof - improved packaging more luggage space and less weight are benefits of this compact design.

The 4er shares many styling links with the Z4 such as angled surfaces and rear end with lights cut into the rear bumpers . The front features a flat wide kidney grille like the Z4 and sharply cut light units following the shape of the Z4.

The 4er looks nothing like the 3er this is why BMW have worked an individual design into the programme . The 6er coupe and cabrio have been a very successful programme and they want the 4er to follow the same idea.

The coupe will no longer be the entry model as it will have a smaller brother so it repositions itself against the CLK Mercedes-Benz.

Engines will come from 2.5i to top line M 4.0i V8 with 407 BHP , Diesel will come later .

Quote:
After many deliberation BMW have finally chosen to serialize the first folding hard top roof of BMW - Many companies which specialize in the development of such vario roofs have contributed with the engineers of the E92/3 project in find a roof that can claim BMW's core phillosophy of engineering without the heavy weight.
It is true that both canvas top and folding tops were developed and tested
and presented , The introduction of a new folding roof also overcomes a dilema for BMW . Mainly the designation of it's new models.

The 3er Coupe was to be known as the 4er inline with the current line up , But with the marketing problem of no M3 coupe presented a dilema .
By now offering two different cars the coupe will remain as 3er but the folding roof variant will be known as 4er.

The roof will be more cutting edge than other manufactures hard tops this is down to the weight and materials used . Which means BMW remain at the cutting edge of new technologies and materials being introduced to serialized production cars.

Considering the appeal of the M3 coupe - for now BMW intends to launch only an M3 coupe and later a M4 coupe/cabrio.

BMW will prepare the market for it s first hard top coupe/ cabrio. expect to show a concept version of the hard top at this years Frankfurt motor show.
more to come
      04-01-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
RikfromBelgium
Rep
Drives:

second part
Quote:
BMW M3 :
Available as proposed coupe , sedan , high performance touring version.
High-Rev V8 evolved from the V10 , 440 BHP unlimited to 190mph. seven speed SMG .

Coupe is expected to follow M6 with carbon fibre roof - As it will be positioned as the top M3 variant. More use of cabrbon fibre and plastic as seen with M6 .

The Coupe-Cabrio will be known as the 4er . An M4 variant will follow later.
      04-01-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
spikes111
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Thanks for the info Rik. Is the E90 out in Belgium yet? If so, have you gotten to test drive one?
      04-01-2005, 10:49 AM   #4
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
wow, very very very internsting information to read. There are just so many rumors on which way BMW will go, its confusing. I kind of personally agree with what he says, I think BMW will make the coupe stand out to battle the CLK like he says. Weather or not it will be called a 4 series im not sure about tho, only because the M3 needs to keep its namesake, so why not continue with the same pattern the car is on now (ie. 3 series sedan / 3 series coupe), but then making a folding hardtop version a 4 series seems strange to me. I guess they will reshape the headlamps a bit and just make it a 4 series, even tho its basicly the same car just with a folding hardtop. we will all see, hopefully soon !! cmon BMW, roll out the model already please
      04-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #5
RikfromBelgium
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liut
Thanks for the info Rik. Is the E90 out in Belgium yet? If so, have you gotten to test drive one?
yes it is, since the 4th of march
no, I haven't driven one
      04-01-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
eshamas21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Does any one have any dates on when the release of the E90 3er coupe will be?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2005, 09:16 PM   #7
BMWAustin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshamas21
Does any one have any dates on when the release of the E90 3er coupe will be?
in next 12 months
Appreciate 0