F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > opnion on dinan springs for 335i xdrive NON DHP suspension
ARMA SPEED

05-16-2016, 08:48 AM   #1
mitrong
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive

opnion on dinan springs for 335i xdrive NON DHP suspension

i've talked to a few people regarding these springs.. seems to be conflicting opinions on the ride comfort.

so for anyone that has these springs on a 335i xdrive NON DHP supsension, please let me know how you feel about their comfort.

I have a wife and baby and live on the roads of the east coast, so comfort is somewhat important to me (although i desperately want to fix the body roll and floaty issues of the car)

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 11:02 AM   #2
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Don't do just the springs. Upgrade the shocks at the same time. Ride comfort is fine up until you hit a pothole and then life is sucking. The car is definitely more planted but because of the mismatch with the shocks you will still get floating from the rear whenever you crest hills or clip an apex curb on the track with the rears.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrong View Post
i've talked to a few people regarding these springs.. seems to be conflicting opinions on the ride comfort.

so for anyone that has these springs on a 335i xdrive NON DHP supsension, please let me know how you feel about their comfort.

I have a wife and baby and live on the roads of the east coast, so comfort is somewhat important to me (although i desperately want to fix the body roll and floaty issues of the car)

thanks!
In your case, coilovers would make more sense. Springs with non DHP makes no sense IMO. I personally did Dinan springs because I didn't want to lose my EDC, and only Dinan and ACS springs make springs for the EDC suspension without wearing out the shocks, they were made specifically for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
mitrong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv8r View Post
Don't do just the springs. Upgrade the shocks at the same time. Ride comfort is fine up until you hit a pothole and then life is sucking. The car is definitely more planted but because of the mismatch with the shocks you will still get floating from the rear whenever you crest hills or clip an apex curb on the track with the rears.
i dont think your 328i xdrive is an apples to apples comparison for a couple of reasons.

1. the dinan springs for the 328i xdrive are different, and they lower the car more than the 335i xdrive. (1 vs 3/4 inch)

2. i think the 2015's (which i have) have different rear shocks from your 2014.. wonder if that will improve the floatiness.

do you think theres an issue with the front part of your suspension? in terms of ride comfort/floatiness? or is it just your rear

Last edited by mitrong; 05-16-2016 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
mitrong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
In your case, coilovers would make more sense. Springs with non DHP makes no sense IMO. I personally did Dinan springs because I didn't want to lose my EDC, and only Dinan and ACS springs make springs for the EDC suspension without wearing out the shocks, they were made specifically for it.
the issue is, i would like to maintain some sort of warranty if at all possible ( i knwo that its a dinan warranty, but its better than adding coilovers and completely throwing away my warranty on any supsension related components)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrong View Post
the issue is, i would like to maintain some sort of warranty if at all possible ( i knwo that its a dinan warranty, but its better than adding coilovers and completely throwing away my warranty on any supsension related components)
Its not worth worrying about. In fact the mismatched springs with the stock dampers was likely the CAUSE of suspension damage to my car when I hit a large pothole. Without upgrading the shocks the OEM dampers let you bottom out more often. Hence you slam into the bumpstops.

Had to replace most of the front right suspension and that was NOT covered by any warranty. BMW has a tech bulletin out on it and when the suspension eats itself on a pothole and the strut blows through the knuckle the damage is "designed" that way to keep it from damaging the strut mount Or thats what I was told.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep

That said if you live in an area where you see relatively few potholes I think you are fine if you arent going to track the car.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #8
mitrong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv8r View Post
That said if you live in an area where you see relatively few potholes I think you are fine if you arent going to track the car.
definitely not tracking the car. i am mainly concerned with getting rid of some of the body roll while maintaining close to stock comfort.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 08:01 AM   #9
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Definitely do NOT replace just the springs without matching shocks. You will get sick of the bounciness every time you go through a bump or pothole and eventually pay more money to put on a coilover.
      05-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #10
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
Definitely do NOT replace just the springs without matching shocks. You will get sick of the bounciness every time you go through a bump or pothole and eventually pay more money to put on a coilover.
That's actually quite false for Dinan+ACS springs as they were designed specifically for the stock shocks. I have the Dinan springs and there is absolutely no bounciness when I go over a bump or pothole, and there's a million in quebec. Hell, the springs made it better as the stock ones were the ones that were bouncing. (I'm speaking for the EDC suspension)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #11
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
That's actually quite false for Dinan+ACS springs as they were designed specifically for the stock shocks. I have the Dinan springs and there is absolutely no bounciness when I go over a bump or pothole, and there's a million in quebec. Hell, the springs made it better as the stock ones were the ones that were bouncing. (I'm speaking for the EDC suspension)
That's because you have adaptive suspension which has stronger shocks and damps better. On base suspension shocks (which the OP has) lowering springs would cause significant bounciness.
      05-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #12
bbog2008
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive

I Can Confirm Too... Do Not Get Dinan Only. Your Ride Is Going To Be Annoying Not Only On Bumps And Pot Holes, But On Any Uneven Road The Car Will Feel Unsettled. If You Want To Get Rid Of The Body Roll Go With Either Coilovers Or A Combo That Better Matches Struts To Dinan Springs. And Be Prepared To Ditch The Rft's Too.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 03:26 PM   #13
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbog2008 View Post
I Can Confirm Too... Do Not Get Dinan Only. Your Ride Is Going To Be Annoying Not Only On Bumps And Pot Holes, But On Any Uneven Road The Car Will Feel Unsettled. If You Want To Get Rid Of The Body Roll Go With Either Coilovers Or A Combo That Better Matches Struts To Dinan Springs. And Be Prepared To Ditch The Rft's Too.
bbog2008 , still happy with your setup? Thinking about getting the Dinan + B8s for my 340 xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #14
j2edwards
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Garage List
I love the ride height and added stiffness from the Dinan springs, but if I had to do it again I would go coilovers. I have to drive everywhere in Sport or I get sea sick going over any uneven roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #15
bbog2008
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
bbog2008 , still happy with your setup? Thinking about getting the Dinan + B8s for my 340 xDrive.
I am very happy. It is a set-up that gives back the car the dynamics of a real BMW. It is a surprisingly good set up for dd and also a more aggressive driving style. It corners exceptionally well, precise and most importantly the car does not get upset when driving on bumps or other imperfections. I do not track the car but I am not a saint either.

Just an extra note - to maximize the efficiency of this set up you need to get rid of the RFTs too. Only then you will fall in love with your car again.
Appreciate 1
RedKloud736.00