THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Got an Oil Change at Dealer, Oil/maintenance Indicator wasn't reset

05-18-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
bimmer4life24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Got an Oil Change at Dealer, Oil/maintenance Indicator wasn't reset

I recently had my one year maintenance done at my local dealer. After I took the car home, turned the car back on, and the computer still showed I needed to complete my maintenance. I took the car back to them and the guy reset the system himself by holding a button by the dashboard.

Is it possible the dealer forgot to reset this? Or, is the system smart enough to see that it has been already completed (such as having new oil)?

I'm just hoping they didn't screw me by not changing the oil on the car (only have 5,000 miles).

Thanks in advance, guys!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 03:37 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

First, does your receipt show an oil change?
Also, were you supposed to get new wiper inserts and washer fluid, did you chk to see if the blades loom new and washer fluid is to the top?

I'm curious if you pulled the oil filter out of the filter element would look whiter as opposed to a 5K mile filter?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
bimmer4life24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger
First, does your receipt show an oil change?
Also, were you supposed to get new wiper inserts and washer fluid, did you chk to see if the blades loom new and washer fluid is to the top?

I'm curious if you pulled the oil filter out of the filter element would look whiter as opposed to a 5K mile filter?
First, does your receipt show an oil change? Yes

Also, were you supposed to get new wiper inserts and washer fluid, did you chk to see if the blades loom new and washer fluid is to the top? Yes, I checked and everything looks good. I'm just worried if they put they changed the oil but never actually changed it.

I'm curious if you pulled the oil filter out of the filter element would look whiter as opposed to a 5K mile filter? Not sure on this one
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life24 View Post
I recently had my one year maintenance done at my local dealer. After I took the car home, turned the car back on, and the computer still showed I needed to complete my maintenance. I took the car back to them and the guy reset the system himself by holding a button by the dashboard.

Is it possible the dealer forgot to reset this? Or, is the system smart enough to see that it has been already completed (such as having new oil)?

I'm just hoping they didn't screw me by not changing the oil on the car (only have 5,000 miles).

Thanks in advance, guys!
This happened to me at my first scheduled service interval, which happened far earlier than normal because of my, errr, big-city-boy driving habits (second scheduled service should hit right at about 13k). It sounds like your situation is similar regarding low miles, but your service interval trigger was time: a year. Mine was not: it was mileage (I was just short of 7 months).

I took the car back to the dealer the next morning and watched the same thing you did. However, I'd brought my car in primarily for an unrelated item, so the reset was simply overlooked. OP: Did you have any unusual circumstances regarding your visit? Was it just for the scheduled maintenance?

For reference: The system cannot sense that an oil change has been performed, and thanks to the lack of a dipstick there's absolutely no way for you to independently verify that the oil is fresh. Look for signs that work was done around the oil-fill cap and the drain plug door under the car.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
bimmer4life24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life24 View Post

Thanks in advance, guys!
This happened to me at my first scheduled service interval, which happened far earlier than normal because of my, errr, big-city-boy driving habits (second scheduled service should hit right at about 13k). It sounds like your situation is similar. I took the car back to the dealer the next morning and watched the same thing you did.

I'd brought my car in primarily for an unrelated item, so the reset was simply overlooked. OP: Did you have any unusual circumstances regarding your visit? Was it just for the scheduled maintenance?

For reference: The system cannot sense that an oil change has been performed, and thanks to the lack of a dipstick there's absolutely no way for you to independently verify that the oil is fresh. Look for signs that work was done around the oil-fill cap and the drain plug door under the car.
Did you have any unusual circumstances regarding your visit? No

Was it just for the scheduled maintenance? Yes
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 12:23 AM   #6
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

If this happens Again,
As it shouldn't if the tech working on ur vehicle is doing a good job, (Can happen even to the best techs) the light should be reset.
If you would like reset this...or possibly any other CBS service
Simply have Ignition on Engine off, Wait for all warning messages to come off from the Cluster and have the door closed
next Hold down the Odomoter button on the left side of the cluster until you get a yellow Triangle with an ! in the center.... release the button.. and u can cycle through your service by pressing the button.

Once at the one u want to reset (for example Oil service) Hold the button down till it says reset? Release the button... and press and hold it again... should see a mini clock spin and then show the reset complete.

You do this for the same for most other BMW cars except you can use the scroll BC button on the left side of the steering wheel to scroll through the services.

Sorry for the poor explanation lol.
Hope this helped
Appreciate 4
jpnh1423.50