E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Biltstein B6 (HD) confusion....

05-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
cdm244@gmail.com
cdmontgomery
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90/N51 6MT

Biltstein B6 (HD) confusion....

on rear shocks - which is not surprising as their instructions are not clear I am pretty certain that this is correct (I had to re-nstall myself after omitting the cupped washer):

- bump stop on shaft with concave washer above it
- dust cover over stop/washer assembly (as supplied out of the box)
- stock cupped washer on top of cover (but it doesn't act as the stop restraint in this case, as Biltstein uses their concave washer to limit stop movement)
- next the bottom (larger) section of the bushing with the center ferrule installed
- finally the rubber weather cover
- in the trunk the smaller bushing/washer/nut combination (tighten down until nut stops - meaning that the ferule is bottomed against all the metal components above and below it)

In initially also thought that the cupped washer was now redundant but then realized that without it on compression the small raised upper lip of the dust cover would try to push into the lower bushing until the slack was taken up by the main (concave) washer under the cover. I used Powerflex (yellow) bushings - thought they could have helped us out with better (any!) instructions that may have cleared up the confusion.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Yup....I was confused and asked around as well. At the end of the day I just followed their diagram and had no issues.
Just have to keep the dust cover, bump stop, and their little bent washer thing as it comes out of the box.

Some people will omit the silver bump stop support pointed to by the red arrow and haven't reported any issues - I put it in anyway since it is part of the Bilstein diagram. On the stock setup it provides additional support for the bump stop, but it doesn't do much of anything in the Bilstein setup other than maybe provide a nice flat base for the mount on top of it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangorang
Yup....I was confused and asked around as well. At the end of the day I just followed their diagram and had no issues.
Just have to keep the dust cover, bump stop, and their little bent washer thing as it comes out of the box.

Some people will omit the silver bump stop support pointed to by the red arrow and haven't reported any issues - I put it in anyway since it is part of the Bilstein diagram. On the stock setup it provides additional support for the bump stop, but it doesn't do much of anything in the Bilstein setup other than maybe provide a nice flat base for the mount on top of it.
I did my install this way as well. All has been good.

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0