E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What does this mean?

05-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
TheReen
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I

Hey thanks for looking, Ive had this recently come up on my dash. I dont know what it means from the research ive done its could be a seat sensor or something?? Maybe you guys can give me a hand to narrow down the culprit and figures whats wrong. Thanks for looking, much appreciated.
Also does anyone know of a place in the Reno, nv area that does tunes for a decent price?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 04:40 PM   #2
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Airbag
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Try to pull the codes...I take it your wipers didn't go crazy? When my abs pump was removed and I switched on the ignition, that lit up and the wipers went crazy and would not turn off....
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 04:59 PM   #4
TheReen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070
Try to pull the codes...I take it your wipers didn't go crazy? When my abs pump was removed and I switched on the ignition, that lit up and the wipers went crazy and would not turn off....
no my wipers didnt go all nuts just those two symbols came up
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 05:56 PM   #5
TheReen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone
Airbag
is it the airbag itself or a sensor i could change
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #6
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReen View Post
Was someone sitting in the passenger seat?
Edit: both of those lights came on? That's a seat belt light and an airbag light....someone sitting in the seat didn't have seatbelt on.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #7
TheReen
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Was someone sitting in the passenger seat?
Edit: both of those lights came on? That's a seat belt light and an airbag light....someone sitting in the seat didn't have seatbelt on.
it comes on even tho there isnt someone in the passenger seat. so maybe it could be a sensor or something?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #8
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep

That's when it should come on. Get someone to sit in the seat and do up the seatbelt, see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #9
TheReen
Rep

Quote:
That's when it should come on. Get someone to sit in the seat and do up the seatbelt, see what happens.
I had a buddy in the passager seat yesterday and those symbols still came up on my dash.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 09:10 PM   #10
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep

Reset the code and see what happens. Otherwise ya it could be a sensor or fuse or something. I've never dealt with it on this car so unsure where the fuse would if, if there is a specific one for it even.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #11
TheReen
Rep

Quote:
Reset the code and see what happens. Otherwise ya it could be a sensor or fuse or something. I've never dealt with it on this car so unsure where the fuse would if, if there is a specific one for it even.
alright ill try that and see what happens. thanks for the advise
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 09:50 PM   #12
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

If it's the seat sensor, there should be a recall for it so you can take it to BMW to get it fixed for free. Check your VIN at www.bmwusa.com/recall
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #13
BIMGUY
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Sans Nav

Do you have a CCID?

2006 330xi E90 / First time owner

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 02:23 AM   #14
Laserdude
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jet black e93 335

I'm pretty sure I had the same light on my old car and it was an issue with the passenger restraint system which they said was an airbag that needed to be replaced
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #15
lichtgelb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

It's most likely the passenger occupancy sensor mat. Is the "Passenger Airbag Off" warning lit up on the overhead console? The option are either: get lucky and your VIN is covered under the recall, pay around $600 to fix it out of pocket, code out the sensor mat and leave the airbag enabled all the time, or deal with the annoying warning. I chose to code out the sensor on mine since it's not covered under the recall.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #16
Cumberland_328xi
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichtgelb View Post
It's most likely the passenger occupancy sensor mat. Is the "Passenger Airbag Off" warning lit up on the overhead console? The option are either: get lucky and your VIN is covered under the recall, pay around $600 to fix it out of pocket, code out the sensor mat and leave the airbag enabled all the time, or deal with the annoying warning. I chose to code out the sensor on mine since it's not covered under the recall.

How do you code out the sensor. Mine has been like this for some time and I've tried everything. (sorry, didn't mean to hijack your post)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #17
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

If it was passenger seat belt I would assume you would have the passenger seat belt light on also on the front of the roof.

One thing that causes those lights is the not well connecting battery safety terminal pyro connection. If you had recently battery change it could be it. There is a tiny flimsy connector with thin cable on it that connects to battery positive post, this easily loses connection if removed once, and causes those same lights to be on.

Active head restraint's also can cause it, they have similar pyro device, if connection to it is lost it will give those lights.

If you can read the code, it will tell you exactly which one is causing it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #18
lichtgelb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumberland_328xi View Post
How do you code out the sensor. Mine has been like this for some time and I've tried everything. (sorry, didn't mean to hijack your post)
You have to have NCSExpert working on a Windows XP system. There's an option in the SRS module to de-activate the OC3 sensor. Once that is done, and the sensor mat unplugged under the seat, the annoying errors go away. The only downside is the passenger airbag is always enabled so it would go off in a collision no matter what sized passenger is in the seat or even no passenger at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #19
Brad from the OC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325Ia Alpine White

Quote:
alright ill try that and see what happens. thanks for the advise
I just had those two same lights come on yesterday on my 2006 325i while driving with both driver and front passenger buckled up. Lights continued to stay on all day and today also. It appears my passenger seat mat is working properly as my front passenger air bag off light indicates properly when there is no one is seated and the light goes out if there is a front passenger sitting. I tried to check everything I could without a code reader. The only thing that seems different is that the seat belt warning bell does not ring if the engine is running and the seat belt in unbuckled for the driver seat, or if there is a front passenger seated and belt unbuckled. Did you find the cause for your warning lights and were you able to reset or resolve the problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 05:51 AM   #20
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lichtgelb
I'm curious how does one code out this warning so it go away and airbag stays active. I'm guessing it can't be done through Carly
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 06:04 AM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from the OC View Post
I just had those two same lights come on yesterday on my 2006 325i while driving with both driver and front passenger buckled up. Lights continued to stay on all day and today also. It appears my passenger seat mat is working properly as my front passenger air bag off light indicates properly when there is no one is seated and the light goes out if there is a front passenger sitting. I tried to check everything I could without a code reader. The only thing that seems different is that the seat belt warning bell does not ring if the engine is running and the seat belt in unbuckled for the driver seat, or if there is a front passenger seated and belt unbuckled. Did you find the cause for your warning lights and were you able to reset or resolve the problem?
You have that wrong. If the passenger side airbag light is on in the overhead console without a passenger sitting in the seat it means the seat occupancy sensor mat is defective. Your car should be under a seat sensor recall that BMW will repair for free. Check your VIN at the BMW site or NHTSA site.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #22
Brad from the OC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325Ia Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
You have that wrong. If the passenger side airbag light is on in the overhead console without a passenger sitting in the seat it means the seat occupancy sensor mat is defective. Your car should be under a seat sensor recall that BMW will repair for free. Check your VIN at the BMW site or NHTSA site.
You are correct! I reread the Owner's Manual and it does say that the Pass Airbag off light should illuminate briefly during start up and go out if the seat is empty or if an adult or child of sufficient size is detected. My light stays on with an empty front passenger seat. I did enter my VIN at the BMW site and it doesn't show up as a recall, but from some research, it appears there might be an extended warranty on this SRS system fault. So I wrote to BMWUSA to inquire. Do you know if an extended warranty item is different from a recall? I believe that an extended recall item might not show up on a recall inquiry, so I hope that I'm covered. Thanks for your input, you always seem to have these issues correct.
Appreciate 0