THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Anything else I can improve?

05-23-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 228 Xdrive -Deep Sea Blue

Anything else I can improve?

Hi all. Been a pleasure reading what people are doing to their cars here. I have a 228xi (N26 AWD, base, no THP). I have upgraded to new lighter 17inch wheels and some wider ribber (17X8 OZ Allegerita with 235/45 tires). I have installed the Dinan Stage 1 tune.

I can't see much else to do to increase performance (that isn't insanely expensive)

Engine (not much to do with the N26 engine)
Suspension (should have gotten the THP or RWD)

Other than a more aggressive tune I feel like maybe I should call it a day but if there are any somewhat affordable mods to I'd be interested. I'm a noob so thanks for your thought and advice.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
eclipes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport

Exhaust, dp, springs or coils etc... tons to do but if its a dd multi functional car then you should call it a day
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipes View Post
Exhaust, dp, springs or coils etc... tons to do but if its a dd multi functional car then you should call it a day
It is my daily driver... but man I like to drive it fast

I had really hoped there was more I could do with either BMW performance parts or Dinan by the road seems blocked.

I would have considered something like this: http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/44...NCE-SUSPENSION to tighten up the ride but does;t seem to work with AWD 228 (xi).

I would do exhaust etc. if dinar offered a tune with it.

I don't really understand car lowering very well at all.. or the effects it can have on my other stock parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #4
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoldstein2000 View Post
...It is my daily driver... but man I like to drive it fast ...
DP will give you that last bit of reliable Hp & Torque from your engine, if they have one for a N26 xDrive. Exhaust will give you a nicer sound, but with a DP may become to loud for a DD.

Don't lower your car. It may become too "taught" or "firm" of a ride for you to enjoy if the roads are anything but perfect, along with the associated issues of having your car that close to the ground, i.e. speed bumps taken on an angle and at 1mph.

Enjoy the car for what it is and remember that most people are looking at you and wishing they had your car!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post

Enjoy the car for what it is and remember that most people are looking at you and wishing they had your car!
That is really well said! I frankly never thought I would be driving a BMW never mind a new one.

One piece of good news... looks like Dinan will have a stage 3 tune for the N26 engine. Not dramatic gains but at least something I can obsess about.

I'm really looking forward to the new wheels and tires going in Thursday (should shave 5-6 pounds a wheel of weight). Not sure about my tire size choice of 235/45 though but I'm learning.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #6
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
That is really well said! I frankly never thought I would be driving a BMW never mind a new one.

One piece of good news... looks like Dinan will have a stage 3 tune for the N26 engine. Not dramatic gains but at least something I can obsess about.

I'm really looking forward to the new wheels and tires going in Thursday (should shave 5-6 pounds a wheel of weight). Not sure about my tire size choice of 235/45 though but I'm learning.
I just started a thread about our wheels as I found it hard to find anything other than VMR wheels in one location. I also run OZ wheels with a 235 tire. I love how it has changed the way my cab drives!
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2016, 04:14 PM   #7
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoldstein2000
Quote:

Can you supply a link for the Dinan S3 tune for the N26? I will be very surprised if it's true, but delighted.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #8
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Can you supply a link for the Dinan S3 tune for the N26? I will be very surprised if it's true, but delighted.
Hi Barry. I was actually thinking of PMing you with the info since I have read your posts on the mods you have done with your N26 engine. I wish I could do the shockware you did.

I emailed them today and they said that Intercooler / Stage 3 will be coming here shortly for the N20/26 as are sway bars for the xDrive.

Hit them up for more info as I don't want to misrepresent anything.

Good news though huh?

Last edited by jgoldstein2000; 05-23-2016 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 04:44 PM   #9
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoldstein2000
Quote:
Hi Barry. I was actually thinking of PMing you with the info since I have read your posts on the mods you have done with your N26 engine. I wish I could do the shockware you did.

I emailed them today and they said that Intercooler / Stage 3 will be coming here shortly for the N20/26 as are sway bars for the xDrive.

Hit them up for more info as I don't want to misrepresent anything.

Good news though huh?
Thank you. They basically assured me that it's not worth their while developing and producing an intercooler tune for the SULEV N26 that would pass emissions regs in fifty states but if they have changed their minds and it's emissions-legal in CA, I'm there! Thanks again! (If anyone can tag Dinan Engineer, please feel free to do so because I cannot, for some reason...)

DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit

Last edited by BarryJI; 05-23-2016 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 04:52 PM   #10
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
DP will give you that last bit of reliable Hp & Torque from your engine, if they have one for a N26 xDrive. Exhaust will give you a nicer sound, but with a DP may become to loud for a DD.

Don't lower your car. It may become too "taught" or "firm" of a ride for you to enjoy if the roads are anything but perfect, along with the associated issues of having your car that close to the ground, i.e. speed bumps taken on an angle and at 1mph.

+1 in any turbo car DP is the biggest bang for the buck for "free" hp. Keep in mind any tune will put more stress on the car and use more gas if you hit boost. DP is better for the car and frees up (pun intended) hp.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:02 PM   #11
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
+1 in any turbo car DP is the biggest bang for the buck for "free" hp. Keep in mind any tune will put more stress on the car and use more gas if you hit boost. DP is better for the car and frees up (pun intended) hp.
Thanks. Any recommendations for a brand for a new downpipe for 228 with the N26 engine (does that matter that it isn't the N20?).

I assume a new downpipe kills my warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #12
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Any recommendations for a brand for a new downpipe for 228 with the N26 engine (does that matter that it isn't the N20?).

I assume a new downpipe kills my warranty?
No, it will not kill your warranty. The law is this: IF something goes wrong with your car and the manufacturer can trace the cause back to the aftermarket part, then the damage may not be covered.

Honestly, never heard of a downpipe causing any issues.

I'm not too sure, I do believe there are minor differences between the N20/26.

I have the N55 and I did a good amount of research and bought the Evolution Racewerks downpipe. Perfect fit, thick stock, and very clean construction.

Options for your car:

http://evolutionracewerks.com/catalog/218
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #13
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep

Those downpipes look extremely interesting. Seems to not only remove the main restriction associated with the N26 engine but also improve upon air flow of the N20.

My biggest concern would be how it interacts with a tune that doesn't take it into account (my stage 1 dinan tune for N26). And whether I am going to get a CEL?

Last edited by jgoldstein2000; 05-23-2016 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:50 PM   #14
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Be careful. There are certain disadvantages to making your car illegal; it might complicate your life when it comes to warranteed work on the car and state-mandated emissions tests, it might well throw a code and there may be an unwelcome smell. And you might want to get expert advice on how the N26 would do with a downpipe; don't forget, this engine is designed to minimise emissions output and that makes it a less than optimal development platform for relatively high-volume manufacturers of tuning products like Dinan.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #15
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those downpipes look extremely interesting. Seems to not only remove the main restriction associated with the N26 engine but also improve upon air flow of the N20.

My biggest concern would be how it interacts with a tune that doesn't take it into account (my stage 1 dinan tune for N26). And whether I am going to get a CEL?
I have a JB product in all three of our BMWs and they clear out the CELs.

If you get a DP with a high flow cat, it should not throw a CEL regardless.

Most good piggybacks tap into multiple parameters in the ECU to adjust the mappings. For instance, my JB4 does.

Not sure about the Dinan product.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
I have a JB product in all three of our BMWs and they clear out the CELs.

If you get a DP with a high flow cat, it should not throw a CEL regardless.

Most good piggybacks tap into multiple parameters in the ECU to adjust the mappings. For instance, my JB4 does.

Not sure about the Dinan product.
To avoid confusion, you have a JB4

A JB does not clear CEL only the JB4
Dinan does not clear CEL either

Catted DP might throw CEL .. The higher the quality of the DP the less likely to throw a code but no one will give you 100% guarantee as in your money back if it does throw CEL)

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #17
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:

I had an Enzo DP when I was FBO and I can tell you that it added 20+ HP and some torque to my car, the only problem for me was that it was just always in my face when I had the top down, which is about 90% of the time! I do miss the sound though!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Hi all. Been a pleasure reading what people are doing to their cars here. I have a 228xi (N26 AWD, base, no THP). I have upgraded to new lighter 17inch wheels and some wider ribber (17X8 OZ Allegerita with 235/45 tires). I have installed the Dinan Stage 1 tune.

I can't see much else to do to increase performance (that isn't insanely expensive)

Engine (not much to do with the N26 engine)
Suspension (should have gotten the THP or RWD)

Other than a more aggressive tune I feel like maybe I should call it a day but if there are any somewhat affordable mods to I'd be interested. I'm a noob so thanks for your thought and advice.

To get more power you need downpipes, methanol injection or E85.. To take 100% advantage of any of these mods, you need a stage 2 tune like the JB4

If you would like to keep current tune, get an upgraded intercooler

You can also get an intake for a better sound and more air flow

Upgraded turbo is also an available option but i would not recommend it considering that the N20 and N26 are not the most reliable with High HP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #19
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
To get more power you need downpipes, methanol injection or E85.. To take 100% advantage of any of these mods, you need a stage 2 tune like the JB4

If you would like to keep current tune, get an upgraded intercooler

You can also get an intake for a better sound and more air flow

Upgraded turbo is also an available option but i would not recommend it considering that the N20 and N26 are not the most reliable with High HP
Thanks Mike. No Methanol for me. I think I will wait and see how long for the stage 3 tune from Dinan (it will involve upgrading the intercooler). Then I will see their thoughts on adding a 3rd party downpipe. I would probably go with a catted downpipe but I'm open.

I haven't heard that for these engines an upgraded intake gives much performance improvement.

If Dinan was able to offer their big turbo for the N26 engine I would probably jump at it but alas it won't happen.

Last edited by jgoldstein2000; 05-23-2016 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #20
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

The Dinan Stage 3 intercooler tune is currently available only for the M235i and if they ever make one for the 228i it will be for the N20, not the N26. There is probably very little more you can legally do for power output; we are in the same boat on that although not having AWD gave me more suspension modification options. THP is a big plus, too, but let's face it, there's no adaptive suspension on the M2. My advice, FWIW, is to look at suspension mods if you really want to liven up the car, not power output. I like my catback exhaust, too. I am all but certain that there will be no S3 tune for the N26 (and no S4/Big Turbo) and paying all that money for the intercooler alone is not worth it.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #21
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep

Quote:
The Dinan Stage 3 intercooler tune is currently available only for the M235i and if they ever make one for the 228i it will be for the N20, not the N26. There is probably very little more you can legally do for power output; we are in the same boat on that although not having AWD gave me more suspension modification options. THP is a big plus, too, but let's face it, there's no adaptive suspension on the M2. My advice, FWIW, is to look at suspension mods if you really want to liven up the car, not power output. I like my catback exhaust, too. I am all but certain that there will be no S3 tune for the N26 (and no S4/Big Turbo) and paying all that money for the intercooler alone is not worth it.
Barry I had a whole email exchange with Dinan today about them bringing a stage 3 for the N26. And I assume they were referring to this intercooler: http://www.dinancars.com/product/d33...ries&mid=1184/

Did you email them after I told you this? Pm me and I can show you the email thread. I was warned to not expect extreme gains from the stage 1 tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #22
jgoldstein2000
Private
Rep

BarryJI PM sent
Appreciate 0