BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Drive 2 M2's on the racetrack today??

05-24-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

Drove 2 M2\'s on the track today!

First off, Thank you to Thompson BMW in Doylestown PA for inviting me to participate in this awesome event. They hosted an awesome track day where they provided the venue, instruction , cars and breakfast and lunch at no cost...nicely done?.

So as a disclaimer I've only been in the track 2x, this being my second time. So...at this event I got to drive 2 M2's around a short auto cross course in addition to the 650 coupe and Grand Coupe around the outside track(and inside) of Pocono Raceway...Amazing cars!

Coming from a 135i Dinan Stage 3 car (no mids or muffler, pushing est. 400hp & 410 lb ft), the M2 felt similar. Tons of power down low, missing something in the mids (not like M3/4's)

The cars sound really great (snap, crackle and pops at dcel). The car is well balanced but is willing t let you push and dance the rear end.

Brake fade was a concern (short track) as there weren't many straight always where you could give the brakes a time to breathe.

Also I expected the steering to feel numb like the other recent M cars, but instead it had a nice weight an balance.

The M2 felt nice in the corners. Traction control was on...the car felt more nimble but less planted than the M3/4. I really liked how it felt. This is a great car. Whoever is getting one you are lucky and enjoy it.
Attached Images

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 4
      05-24-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It should say "Drove" in the title...damn you iPhone.

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 SO - M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Nice review!

That sounded like an awesome event and for free?! Hell yeah!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Drove/drive ..we get it.
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 11:34 PM   #5
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
Drove/drive ..we get it.
Why the question marks then ? "Drive ?" means you might get to drive an M2. "Drove ?" means you're not sure if it was an M2 that you drove.... Unless you're not sure whether you drove one or two M2's.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 05:13 AM   #6
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
Why the question marks then ? "Drive ?" means you might get to drive an M2. "Drove ?" means you're not sure if it was an M2 that you drove.... Unless you're not sure whether you drove one or two M2's.
LOL...yes. I was lucky to "Drive" 2 M2's yesterday along with a few other cars. But driving the M2 was the highlight.

This is an example of being too tired and posting something on the forum. The fingers have a mind of their own and don't express what the mind is thinking.

Appreciate 2
      05-26-2016, 07:30 AM   #7
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep

I also drove an M2 on the track yesterday, at the Laquais circuit between Geneva and Lyon. It was the first time I'd actually seen an M2 in the flesh apart from at the Geneva motor show. There were 4 of them: 2 grey, one white and one LBB. I was very impressed with the LBB paint under the sunshine and the others looked boring next to it. The white one had a lot of M-Performance parts which looked really good but was spoiled by the red, white and blue stripes. It had the M-Performance exhaust but, because this was a circuit, they insisted on keeping it on the standard setting.

I got to do 3 circuits at high speed, with my daughter sitting in the passenger seat, following the other M2's. The acceleration and road holding were extremely impressive, as were the brakes but, having never been on a circuit before, I was so concentrated on not being left behind that I couldn't really get a proper feel for the car.

We then took an M4 round the circuit, again at high speed. The acceleration felt a bit more explosive than the M2.

Finally I was given a ride in the M2 by a professional race driver. That was a totally mind-blowing experience and showed me what the car is capable of.

I also got the chance to test drive a 340i with M-Performance parts and an engine upgrade to 360 bhp. This one had an M-Performance exhaust (apparently not just the silencer but the whole exhaust system) and, because we were on the main road, I could use it on the loud setting. It sounded brilliant with lots of loud farts when down shifting.

One thing confused me however: the BMW chief racing driver insisted that the M2 had active suspension. I have always understood it didn't. Maybe this is just in France, a country which actually likes soft suspension... Does anyone have a clear idea whether active suspension is standard on the M2 ? If not, I need to delete it.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #8
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
One thing confused me however: the BMW chief racing driver insisted that the M2 had active suspension. I have always understood it didn't. Maybe this is just in France, a country which actually likes soft suspension... Does anyone have a clear idea whether active suspension is standard on the M2 ? If not, I need to delete it.
The M2 does not have active suspension.

The MPerf suspension is two way adjustable, maybe that is what he meant?
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #9
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post

Well I hope you're right ! You're Canadian so maybe you speak French and can explain what this crap is all about (taken from the BMW France price list for the M2):

"Gestionnaire M Drive: commande la reactivite de l'accelerateur, de la direction M servotronic, de la boite DKG (option) et de l'amortissement variable pilote"

My English translation: "M-drive controller: controls the reactivity of the accelerator, of the M-servotronic steering, of the DCT gearbox (option) and of the variable suspension settings". Either this is a mistake or the French market has active suspension....
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post

Well I hope you're right ! You're Canadian so maybe you speak French and can explain what this crap is all about (taken from the BMW France price list for the M2):

"Gestionnaire M Drive: commande la reactivite de l'accelerateur, de la direction M servotronic, de la boite DKG (option) et de l'amortissement variable pilote"

My English translation: "M-drive controller: controls the reactivity of the accelerator, of the M-servotronic steering, of the DCT gearbox (option) and of the variable suspension settings". Either this is a mistake or the French market has active suspension....

Please don't confuse chassis settings (aka variable suspension ) with ACTIVE suspension (shock and spring) settings.

Again

There is no ACTIVE suspension on the BMW M2 .

There IS active suspension available as an option on the M3/M4.

The M2 does have some chassis adjustments available via some of the program drive modes, but they are not passive, not active.

An ACTIVE suspension literally responds to the undulations and changes in pavement surface by stiffening/softening the shock rates in response to the surface.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #11
hpapad01
BMW CCA member and you should be too!
Rep
Drives: DYII E93 M3,540 M-Sport,911C2S

Quote:

M3 Adjaster is correct with his explanation and I wish there was an option for it in the M2.

I have it on my M3 and it is a function of the EDC (Electronic Damper Control) which has 3 different settings: Comfort, Normal and Sport.

Here is a brief description of the EDC from the M3 manual:

Electronic Damper Control (EDC).

Electronic Damper Control (EDC) reduces variations in wheel load, ensures tyres have excellent traction and counteracts body-shell movement regardless of the weight your automobile may be carrying - and regardless of the state of the road's surface. EDC can even help shorten braking distances, meaning you enjoy outstanding comfort along with the best in BMW on-road safety.

Sensitive sensors constantly monitor all factors influencing the vehicle's behavior and occupants’ comfort, including road conditions, load changes and vehicle speed. In a fraction of a second, the signals are analysed by the EDC microprocessor and orders are sent to the actuators on the shock absorbers, which, with the help of magnetic valves, are variably adjusted to provide optimal suspension.

Thanks to Electronic Damper Control, the tendency for the nose to dip when braking is practically eliminated. The influence of potholes and unevenness on the road surface is reduced to minimum. Whether you're behind the wheel or relaxing in the rear of the cabin, EDC delivers a remarkably smooth and comfortable ride.
      05-27-2016, 12:12 AM   #12
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapad01 View Post
M3 Adjaster is correct with his explanation and I wish there was an option for it in the M2.

I have it on my M3 and it is a function of the EDC (Electronic Damper Control) which has 3 different settings: Comfort, Normal and Sport.

Here is a brief description of the EDC from the M3 manual:

Electronic Damper Control (EDC).

Electronic Damper Control (EDC) reduces variations in wheel load, ensures tyres have excellent traction and counteracts body-shell movement regardless of the weight your automobile may be carrying - and regardless of the state of the road's surface. EDC can even help shorten braking distances, meaning you enjoy outstanding comfort along with the best in BMW on-road safety.

Sensitive sensors constantly monitor all factors influencing the vehicle's behavior and occupants’ comfort, including road conditions, load changes and vehicle speed. In a fraction of a second, the signals are analysed by the EDC microprocessor and orders are sent to the actuators on the shock absorbers, which, with the help of magnetic valves, are variably adjusted to provide optimal suspension.

Thanks to Electronic Damper Control, the tendency for the nose to dip when braking is practically eliminated. The influence of potholes and unevenness on the road surface is reduced to minimum. Whether you're behind the wheel or relaxing in the rear of the cabin, EDC delivers a remarkably smooth and comfortable ride.

I had this on my E90 M3 6MT back then. And I never used it irl....
I put it in Sport on trackdays and that was it.

[/story]

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 01:19 AM   #13
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep

Well, I'm confused but thanks for the explanations !!!
Appreciate 0