E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Odd noise while driving twisties at higher speed...

05-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #1
E9Slow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi e90

Odd noise while driving twisties at higher speed...

Hey guys, so today I went to do a little fishing on a lake way up a mountain not far from home. Half of it was just me wanting to push the new toy through the curves up and down the mountain for fun. Most noticeably on the way home/back down the mountain, when cornering around at speeds of say 40-55mph, I can hear and slightly feel a clunk or thumping that sounds somewhat rotational, almost like I'm driving over a bumpy road, but it was fairly smooth road. On the straights, it's perfectly fine at any speed, mainly just in the harder turns, doesn't even seem to do it at slower cornering.

FWIW- the car has 83k all original suspension as far as I know, newer tires with maybe 10k on them (RFTs) and very recent alignment. Brakes are newer. Last time I was underneath, everything looked dry including CVs and felt tight to the hand.

Also, when braking at high speeds, the car feels like it leans to the right. I say "lean" because it's not a pull, which everyone would assume to just be warped rotors/pads, it's definitely not a brake issue, I promise, it's not a pull. You can actually slam the pedal at high speed, and it will stop perfectly straight, even letting go of the wheel, but you feel the suspension "lean" to the right (let off the brake, and it comes back to center) at no point does it actually pull the car right though. I'm curious if these two issues are related somehow, some bad bushing maybe? (Sorry for my ignorance, I'm mostly familiar with domestic full-size trucks/SUVs, been a while since I've owned a car lol)

Thanks
      05-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Sounds like an issue with the sway bar. Could just be the bushings need lubing, or an end link broke.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #3
E9Slow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires
Sounds like an issue with the sway bar. Could just be the bushings need lubing, or an end link broke.
Thank you, that's one thing I've definitely neglected to check so far was the sway bar and links. Any good way to check for sure play in sway bar bushings? And do the end links "wear out" on these cars, or do they just work and then break?

Thanks again