F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > HELP: Car drives like arse after alignment
Studio RSR

05-26-2016, 08:28 AM   #1
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: //'12 F30 328i\\

HELP: Car drives like arse after alignment

I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what's wrong with this car. As mentioned in a previous thread, I got an alignment at BMW Freeport, it sucked, I went back, they somewhat fixed it but it felt wrong. The car tracked straight, but it lost its damn mind .. ok, it lost its composure when going over uneven roads. Even minor imperfections felt like bricks were being thrown at my undercarriage. I figured okay, Time to get rid of the Run flats on my stock 18s. They weren't the most comfy, but they never felt this bad... So, I temporarily switched to my winter setup. I figured this would address two issues:
1)riding on softer rubber
2)Seeing if BMW claims that it's because 2 of my 18in rims were bent (I call BS, I'll check later)

The ride was better but still unreasonably rough
I ended up going to a performance shop (Camber Toe Performance in Long island) to have them do the alignment.
The handling is tons better (I point and she goes. almost a bit twitchy), However, the car still handles bumps as if there is no dampening at all.

It's a Sportline 328i with M Sport suspension
1)Could the shocks all be bad?
2)Issues with the control arms? (Could both BMW and CamberToe miss that?)
3)Bad alignment again?
4)miss-aligned Spring? (Not sure if BMW took them off for any reason. They did have my car for 4 days trying to decide if a second alignment would be covered since they messed it up the 1st time)
5)Bad wheel bearings? (Shot in the dark. They did change all 4 rotors with the brakes. Could it be that?)

Sorry for the Harry Potter length read, but thanks for any help you can suggest.
Bonus Fact: Free Maintenance and BMW coverage expires on the 29th. No openings available until the June 2nd or so.

Car is also at 49,700 miles

Last edited by IllLojik; 05-26-2016 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

alignment is not really going to have any effect on the performance of the car over bumps. it sounds like your shocks are worn.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
pjkbrit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i 6MT ZHP

did your M Sport Suspension set up come with the car originally or was it fit aftermarket? Did the car drive OK in the past....what changed?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllLojik View Post
I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what's wrong with this car. As mentioned in a previous thread, I got an alignment at BMW Freeport, it sucked, I went back, they somewhat fixed it but it felt wrong. The car tracked straight, but it lost its damn mind .. ok, it lost its composure when going over uneven roads. Even minor imperfections felt like bricks were being thrown at my undercarriage. I figured okay, Time to get rid of the Run flats on my stock 18s. They weren't the most comfy, but they never felt this bad... So, I temporarily switched to my winter setup. I figured this would address two issues:
1)riding on softer rubber
2)Seeing if BMW claims that it's because 2 of my 18in rims were bent (I call BS, I'll check later)

The ride was better but still unreasonably rough
I ended up going to a performance shop (Camber Toe Performance in Long island) to have them do the alignment.
The handling is tons better (I point and she goes. almost a bit twitchy), However, the car still handles bumps as if there is no dampening at all.

It's a Sportline 328i with M Sport suspension
1)Could the shocks all be bad?
2)Issues with the control arms? (Could both BMW and CamberToe miss that?)
3)Bad alignment again?
4)miss-aligned Spring? (Not sure if BMW took them off for any reason. They did have my car for 4 days trying to decide if a second alignment would be covered since they messed it up the 1st time)
5)Bad wheel bearings? (Shot in the dark. They did change all 4 rotors with the brakes. Could it be that?)

Sorry for the Harry Potter length read, but thanks for any help you can suggest.
Bonus Fact: Free Maintenance and BMW coverage expires on the 29th. No openings available until the June 2nd or so.

Car is also at 49,700 miles
you stated you have not 1 but 2 bent rims... do you remember how this happened?? maybe depending on how hard or what you hit something is either bent in the suspension or broken, you should have your suspension check doesn't seem to be an alignment issue
      05-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjkbrit View Post
did your M Sport Suspension set up come with the car originally or was it fit aftermarket? Did the car drive OK in the past....what changed?
Came stock like that. Sportline RWD with M suspension.
It drove fine. When I went in for my brake service, the SA claimed that I needed an alignment. After driving through some rough roads during the winter I figured sure, it's probably for the best.
After though.. It never felt right
      05-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #6
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
you stated you have not 1 but 2 bent rims... do you remember how this happened?? maybe depending on how hard or what you hit something is either bent in the suspension or broken, you should have your suspension check doesn't seem to be an alignment issue
NY potholes my friend. It's crossed my mind that something may be fubared underneath, however even after hitting said potholes and destroying two runflats, the car drove fine and straight. the car has been in for service at least 3 times since then (unrelated reasons) and I would think during the 100 point inspection, they'd point out to me, hey, your ___ is bent. Maybe I'm giving the dealer too much credit.
      05-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
pjkbrit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i 6MT ZHP

Only thing I can think of without driving your car is you have blown one or more shocks hitting potholes...if you can get someone to follow you and watch your rims as you drive down one of Long Island's finest maybe they will see any wheel bounce that is out of the ordinary.
Any noises...any new thumps that are recent as you drive?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #8
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllLojik View Post
NY potholes my friend. It's crossed my mind that something may be fubared underneath, however even after hitting said potholes and destroying two runflats, the car drove fine and straight. the car has been in for service at least 3 times since then (unrelated reasons) and I would think during the 100 point inspection, they'd point out to me, hey, your ___ is bent. Maybe I'm giving the dealer too much credit.
got you it happens. I had a similar problem in a different car and it ended up being a bent control arm. I went to 3 different shops until the last one figured it out, thing is if a part of your suspension is slightly bent is really hard to tell even if you are looking right at it, good luck hope you get this sorted out no one likes their car in the shop
      05-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #9
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjkbrit View Post
Only thing I can think of without driving your car is you have blown one or more shocks hitting potholes...if you can get someone to follow you and watch your rims as you drive down one of Long Island's finest maybe they will see any wheel bounce that is out of the ordinary.
Any noises...any new thumps that are recent as you drive?
Good advice. Thanks, I'll give that a try. No new noises. Just the crashing of my soul feeling the discomfort.
      05-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #10
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
got you it happens. I had a similar problem in a different car and it ended up being a bent control arm. I went to 3 different shops until the last one figured it out, thing is if a part of your suspension is slightly bent is really hard to tell even if you are looking right at it, good luck hope you get this sorted out no one likes their car in the shop
I'll ask the shop to take a good look. Thanks