E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Carfax shows accident for minor accident

05-27-2016, 02:14 AM   #1
Cjd9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i SULEV

Carfax shows accident for minor accident

I am not blaming Carfax or anyone else for this. Just ranting because it's frustrating.

In Sept 2015 my 2011 328i was parked in a parking lot when it was hit by a local government vehicle. The only damage was a scuff that wiped off. Since it was a government car, they required a police report. The police came out, wrote a report and that was it.

Fast forward to April 2016, I went to sell my car to Carmax. They offered 14.5k because it was in good shape and clean Carfax at this point. I told them about the above accident, but they didn't care because it was minor and not on the CarFax. I knew I could private sale for more so I listed to sell it. Work got busy so I didn't have time to keep meeting potential buyers so I went back to Carmax, but now the above accident is on my Carfax and they gave me a very low offer.

No dealer will give me a decent offer now because of it. I wasn't expecting to get what it's worth from a dealer. Just wanted something decent and convenient. That won't happen now because of this. I'll have to private sell now.

I'm just frustrated. I'm not blaming Carmax or anyone because I understand the issue of selling a car with a bad Carfax. I'm just pissed because I did absolutely nothing wrong. There was no damage whatsoever, but I still get fucked. Carfax says damage to left rear of vehicle.

Time to try to private sell!

Last edited by Cjd9; 05-27-2016 at 04:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 04:41 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

In most states, you have up to two years to make a claim on diminished value. If you have records of both CarMax's pre-CarFax and post-Carfax offers, submit a diminished value claim against the insurance company (or local government - if they self insure) for the difference between the two offers then sell it to CarMax.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 05:12 AM   #3
Swish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sport

Do you have, or can you obtain, the police report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjd9 View Post
I am not blaming Carfax or anyone else for this. Just ranting because it's frustrating.

In Sept 2015 my 2011 328i was parked in a parking lot when it was hit by a local government vehicle. The only damage was a scuff that wiped off. Since it was a government car, they required a police report. The police came out, wrote a report and that was it.

Fast forward to April 2016, I went to sell my car to Carmax. They offered 14.5k because it was in good shape and clean Carfax at this point. I told them about the above accident, but they didn't care because it was minor and not on the CarFax. I knew I could private sale for more so I listed to sell it. Work got busy so I didn't have time to keep meeting potential buyers so I went back to Carmax, but now the above accident is on my Carfax and they gave me a very low offer.

No dealer will give me a decent offer now because of it. I wasn't expecting to get what it's worth from a dealer. Just wanted something decent and convenient. That won't happen now because of this. I'll have to private sell now.

I'm just frustrated. I'm not blaming Carmax or anyone because I understand the issue of selling a car with a bad Carfax. I'm just pissed because I did absolutely nothing wrong. There was no damage whatsoever, but I still get fucked. Carfax says damage to left rear of vehicle.

I'm betting you can get it and it will prove that there was only a minor scuff. I don't see how you're 'fucked' in this scenario. I would challenge anyone offering a low-ball price to come along to a body shop that can inspect it and confirm there was no body work or respray of that panel. Any good body shop can tell with just a routine inspection.

A very good friend has been in auto body for over 30 years and is an expert in every way imaginable. He told me CarFax is very unreliable and many body shops don't report to them, so you never really know if a car has been in an accident. State police always report to them and some local cops do, but the rest is a quagmire.

Read this article for more; http://oppositelock.kinja.com/how-ca...gra-1639660981
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 06:05 AM   #4
Cjd9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i SULEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
I'm betting you can get it and it will prove that there was only a minor scuff. I don't see how you're 'fucked' in this scenario. I would challenge anyone offering a low-ball price to come along to a body shop that can inspect it and confirm there was no body work or respray of that panel. Any good body shop can tell with just a routine inspection.

A very good friend has been in auto body for over 30 years and is an expert in every way imaginable. He told me CarFax is very unreliable and many body shops don't report to them, so you never really know if a car has been in an accident. State police always report to them and some local cops do, but the rest is a quagmire.

Read this article for more; http://oppositelock.kinja.com/how-ca...gra-1639660981
Selling to a dealership, in my experience so far, it doesn't matter if I prove it was a minor scuff. I have proved it already. All they care about is does the CarFax show an accident or not because their buyers put a lot of weight on that. I will keep trying though.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #5
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

del

Last edited by Mashman; 03-27-2018 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

What is CarMax offering now?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #7
R608
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M-Sport (RWD/6MT)

I'm no lawyer but that seems more like a problem CarFax should fix for you, like an error on a credit report, not a true diminished value concern since the car wasn't really damaged in any meaningful way based on your description. Have you considered just trying to address it with CarFax themselves directly? I've seen reports mention things like "superficial damage". Seems like it would be worth seeing if they can simply amend the report to portray the situation accurately. My hope would be the police report that caused the problem would also give the details you need to get the report corrected.

Scroll to bottom for the Data Research Request Form.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #8
cybermgm23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjd9 View Post

I got a great deal on a 2011 328i earlier this year because of a similar report. "Accident reported, Involving right side impact, Minor damage reported, Airbags did not deploy". You have to keep in mind, the dealer only has one thing in mind, resale. Unless you can get that taken off your carfax, which is very unlikely because it was reported by the police, then yes, your fucked. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #9
supergoat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Sedan

fyi CarMax does not use Carfax. They use Autocheck.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 06:26 PM   #10
cybermgm23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoat View Post
fyi CarMax does not use Carfax. They use Autocheck.
Maybe not, but buyers do! And that matters to CarMax.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #11
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

It might be worth it to buy one of those paint thickness measuring tools and try to get it checked by a dealer that no body work was performed? Idk if they would trust the dealer tho.
Appreciate 0