BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > MDM in Sport? Possible?

05-31-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

MDM in Sport? Possible?

Can you have the MDM (M-dynamic ESP) setting in de sport setting. I like the gearchange of the DKG way more in sport, then in sport +...but I would also like to have the MDM in sport. Is it possible?
      05-31-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I think you should be able to have MDM in comfort mode but maybe not in Sport mode, assuming the settings are the same as M235i with DTC just re-labeled as MDM. In the M235i if you press the traction button once (quick press) it activates DTC which is not all nannies off, but increases slip angles before the car takes over. This defaults you to comfort settings and is mostly for snow driving. A long press of the traction button puts it into DSC OFF mode, turns off all traction nannies, and puts you in Sport+ settings except a normal throttle (for track use).

Sport is specifically for full sport settings just without the DTC/MDM and in M235i you can toggle adaptive suspension and steering in that setting. Sport+ just adds DTC/MDM to the mix. Also, in M235i the transmission characteristics are the same in Sport and Sport+. When I drove the M2 I don't recall how the transmission differed between Sport and Sport+ (same?) but I do know it had way too much of a kick when shifting at WOT. The purpose of fast DCT shifts is to keep power uninterupted and smooth out shifting. I don't know why they made the M2 break traction so aggressively on some shifts.

So bottom line to answer your question I don't think you can do it. It is a major fail that BMW didn't include the M3 Drivelogic toggle option to the same DCT transmission... at the same price.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 12:36 PM   #3
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Can you have the MDM (M-dynamic ESP) setting in de sport setting. I like the gearchange of the DKG way more in sport, then in sport +...but I would also like to have the MDM in sport. Is it possible?
I beleive the Technical Training Manual that is on a sticky thread has a table of what modes are available in what configurations.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

FWIW, check pages 62-63 of the M2 Technical Training shown below:

05-31-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
FWIW, check pages 62-63 of the M2 Technical Training shown below:
Hey looky there! The traction settings are the same as M235i then. You can kind of manage Drivelogic without the toggle switch if you know the algorithm of the settings, but you still can't be in MDM with drivelogic 2.
Appreciate 0