BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Automatic High Beams

05-31-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
azfootdoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 HEA

Automatic High Beams

So I know this topic has probably been touched on in other forum areas but driving home from Vegas last night I tried out the auto high beam function on my new M2. I love the idea in concept but it became kind of annoying. It seemed to work ok. I'm curious how many others actually use this feature on a regular basis.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Curious about what was annoying about it
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I haven't tried it on my M2 but I absolutely despise it on my wife's RX350. It works great at turning off quickly and appropriately for oncoming traffic but it suffers from false positives (i.e., it's overly conservative) based upon random reflections and ambient lighting. A human is much more capable.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
azfootdoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 HEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
I haven't tried it on my M2 but I absolutely despise it on my wife's RX350. It works great at turning off quickly and appropriately for oncoming traffic but it suffers from false positives (i.e., it's overly conservative) based upon random reflections and ambient lighting. A human is much more capable.
I think your comments roughly sum up my experience. It seemed to come off and on quite often and seemed somewhat erratic. I suppose that using it in the proper driving situations is important. I was driving on I-10 east of Tucson (divided highway) late at night. Still it was busier than usual with it being Memorial Day. It would seem to be a better choice for a lonely stretch of road where your would only occasionally run into oncoming traffic. I guess I will play around with it and see how it goes. Just curious what others experience has been.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 06:49 PM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I like it. It got improved compared to the HBA of my 1M: beams now split up and swivel around, selecting areas. As soon as your lights switch on, just push the HBA button once and let it do its job for the rest of the ride.

It's a smart system, no need to intervene, even if you feel tempted to do so (because you think that it's too slow to activate/deactivate). If other road users flash their headlights, better ignore: it's not because they're dazzled by your headlights, but rather because they notice more light than usual, assuming that your headlights are full-on dazzling other road users.

Check the videos below and you'll understand:

LED:

05-31-2016, 09:02 PM   #6
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 SO - M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
I live more in country side and love it. It works much faster than I could turn off/on when a car is coming. Plus it's one less thing I have to look out for. I'd rather spend my time looking for deer and other animals to dodge. Not sure how well it would work in a more populated area but where I am it's awesome.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 02:05 AM   #7
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I like it. It got improved compared to the HBA of my 1M: beams now split up and swivel around, selecting areas. As soon as your lights switch on, just push the HBA button once and let it do its job for the rest of the ride.

It's a smart system, no need to intervene, even if you feel tempted to do so (because you think that it's too slow to activate/deactivate). If other road users flash their headlights, better ignore: it's not because they're dazzled by your headlights, but rather because they notice more light than usual, assuming that your headlights are full-on dazzling other road users.

LED:

The US market does get the adaptive high beams just on off . Our government doesn't like headlights to have any real technology, they make the LED lights operate at a much lower level so folks with those here have to get them programed to Euro specs to get decent performance. The tech you have is different from what we have to deal with.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I hate that I have to turn it on but its part of my routine now at night.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 06:44 AM   #9
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

LED:

I wish we had that in the US....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #10
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
As Artemis said, looks weird when you see the headlights moving all over the place, but after a while it is brilliant.

MR
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
As Artemis said, looks weird when you see the headlights moving all over the place, but after a while it is brilliant.
Exactly. If you don't know how HBA works, all the action going on might be (erroneously) perceived as (partially) erratic. But it ain't: it's constantly monitoring and adapting the 'wall of light'. Pretty cool to see it at work. I always activate HBA whenever lights switch on + refrain from interfering with it, even when sometimes tempted to do so. Neat stuff. If your car got it: use it and you'll quickly learn to appreciate it.
      06-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #12
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85
I wish we had that in the US....
It can easily be had via coding. If you have LED headlights