E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Why are the Xdrive struts such a PITA

05-31-2016, 08:20 PM   #1
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

Why are the Xdrive struts such a PITA

How do you guys compress your factory springs? I've taken my factory springs and used (hopefully ok) struts to two places and neither place said it would be possible to compress the spring enough to get it onto the strut. Anyone else experience this issue?
Attached Images

05-31-2016, 10:46 PM   #2
martinblair
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Touring

Garage List
Really? That's pretty odd, it's not difficult at all. You can rent the spring compressor (often for free) and it takes maybe ten minutes a side (maybe longer if you're using a hand wrench). Take a look at Autozone, get their Macpherson strut sprig compressor, and do it yourself. It really is quite easy. I had never done suspension work myself and I was done both in one beer.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:49 PM   #3
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Because they have an internal spring that resists the full extension of the piston rod. See here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...trut+internals
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #4
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Because they have an internal spring that resists the full extension of the piston rod. See here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...trut+internals
That's pretty cool actually. Top-out springs are pretty awesome, they let you run higher spring rates with better ride quality.

I guess they're harder to work on though.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinblair View Post
Really? That's pretty odd, it's not difficult at all. You can rent the spring compressor (often for free) and it takes maybe ten minutes a side (maybe longer if you're using a hand wrench). Take a look at Autozone, get their Macpherson strut sprig compressor, and do it yourself. It really is quite easy. I had never done suspension work myself and I was done both in one beer.
+1.. with a free rented spring compressor and a impact wrench it took less than a minute.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #6
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

You need to grab onto the spring perch on top and lower most coil to fully compress. If you try and grab the upper most spring, you won't be able to compress it enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #7
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
That's pretty cool actually. Top-out springs are pretty awesome, they let you run higher spring rates with better ride quality.

I guess they're harder to work on though.
They may be cool and good technology, but I don't miss them at all.
I replaced them with Bilstein B4's which didn't have those since they were extending fully without any resistance. And I no longer have that infamous "xi explosion" that was happening even on mild potholes on the road. And I used to have those since day one when car was brand new.

I don't know if it had to do with those inner springs or not, but I really don't miss those.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 10:06 PM   #8
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
+1.. with a free rented spring compressor and a impact wrench it took less than a minute.
I think you guys only removed the spring from the OEM struts, but put it onto non OEM struts that extend all the way.
Removal is easier because it is already extended by the top nut. Placing on to OEM strut would be more difficult because you need to extend the piston up against that internal spring which is not a weak spring.
Note in that picture OP posted, how short the piston rod extending out compared to other regular struts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAttack View Post
How do you guys compress your factory springs? I've taken my factory springs and used (hopefully ok) struts to two places and neither place said it would be possible to compress the spring enough to get it onto the strut. Anyone else experience this issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #9
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

That would explain why they were suck a PITA. I ended up taking them to a shop and paying $60 to have the springs put on