XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Gary in BR
Registered
Rep
Drives: 02 X5, 99 TT Boxster, 71 MGB

AC problems in 02 X5

Hello everyone,

Its my first post here so be kind....

I have a 02 X5 with over 100,000 miles.

The ac works perfect blowing to the back seat but does not blow to the front vents at all.

To the back it only allows the back controls to work the fan speed is not adjustable from the front controller.

If I turn off the AC button the air will flow into the dash vents and the center vent will allow me to adjust the temperature slightly.

If the AC button is on and then I turn it off a rush of AC'ed air comes from the front vents.

It seems to me the front fan is not working.
Any idea on fixing this with out taking it to the dealer?

Thanks allot,
Gary
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
jroque97
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///ten2sixi

Final Stage resistor.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
Gary in BR
Registered
Rep
Drives: 02 X5, 99 TT Boxster, 71 MGB

I will look into it, thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
SL%%
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 525i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR View Post
Hello everyone,

Its my first post here so be kind....

I have a 02 X5 with over 100,000 miles.

The ac works perfect blowing to the back seat but does not blow to the front vents at all.

To the back it only allows the back controls to work the fan speed is not adjustable from the front controller.

If I turn off the AC button the air will flow into the dash vents and the center vent will allow me to adjust the temperature slightly.

If the AC button is on and then I turn it off a rush of AC'ed air comes from the front vents.

It seems to me the front fan is not working.
Any idea on fixing this with out taking it to the dealer?

Thanks allot,
Gary
we just got our 02 E39 changed the blower unit. Try this, check the fuse first. If everything is ok, turn on your engine and run your AC, if you know how to check your AC (engine area), I believe that there is a part where some thin looking "pipes" that are exposed will get hot and another pipe where I believe where the freon is will be cold. both of them are near with each other. if you know what I am saying then your AC is ok at least the condenser that is. if there is no air coming then it might be your blower.

don't be surprised when I tell you this, according to where we fixed the blower, this a faulty design of BMW. The mechanic said that our case wasn't the first time. they've encountered a lot of the same problem even E60's!!!!!! what caused the failure of the blower is that once you get to bumpy roads, the blower mechanism gets disrupted (I forgot the explanation) and through time it gives out. with yours a 02 X5, I think we have the same AC. if indeed it is the blower, the part (original) is about $290. the labor is more expensive (in our case) because they have to remove the dash in order to change the blower. hope this helps
Appreciate 0