F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > EDC vs. Non-EDC for driving in snow
ARMA SPEED

06-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

EDC vs. Non-EDC for driving in snow

For EDC drivers, who've had both EDC and non-EDC cars and have driven both in the snow, does it make any difference with or without EDC when roads are snowy?

Limiting the dive during straight line braking could be good, but in turns with EDC trying to keep roll to a minimum, would that make it better or worse? Or, in Eco Pro mode, is it fine?

Thinking of EDC for the next car. Not totally sold on whether I need it or not.

Last edited by casualDIYer; 06-04-2016 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
For EDC drivers, who've had both EDC and non-EDC cars and have driven both in the snow, does it make any difference with or without EDC when roads are snowy?

Limiting the dive during straight line braking could be good but in turns, with EDC trying to keep roll to a minimum, would that make it better or worse. Or, in Eco Pro mode, is it fine?

One general thing to remember is that with less roll (due to higher effective spring rate) it will be harder to detect when the vehicle is about to approach its traction limits.

EDC may slightly limit body roll in quick transitions, but it's not going to limit body roll in long sweeping corners since this is based on effective spring rate.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post

Limiting the dive during straight line braking could be good but in turns, with EDC trying to keep roll to a minimum, would that make it better or worse. Or, in Eco Pro mode, is it fine?

TBH, EDC is just nice to have as I found it helps save your rim and tire if you hit a pothole that would damage it if you had the normal suspension. I've hit probably a couplr potholes at high speeds and the adaptive dampers would help transfer most of the shock away, protecting my wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #4
Zel335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335I Sport

I live in South Dakota and for the cold winter months I almost never adjust the car out of comfort. Sport and sport+ is not needed when the roads are shit. I just take things slow and easy during those months.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 06:07 AM   #5
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
TBH, EDC is just nice to have as I found it helps save your rim and tire if you hit a pothole that would damage it if you had the normal suspension. I've hit probably a couplr potholes at high speeds and the adaptive dampers would help transfer most of the shock away, protecting my wheels and tires.
The amount that EDCs in the F3x implementation would help in minimizing pothole damage to wheels and tires is minimal. The problem with most suspension systems baring something like the GM MagneRide system is that it simply can't respond to an abrupt change in surface height fast enough.

You can ask any suspension engineer and what they will tell you is that the best way to mitigate pothole damage to wheels and tires is to go with the smallest wheel diameter that can clear the brakes and the tallest sidewall appropriate for the car.

For example, I have the following as my winter tire setup:

Passive Sport Suspension
18" 400M staggered
Front: 235/45/18 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (non-RFT)
Rear: 245/45/18 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (non-RFT)

* These tires are slightly taller than the OE tire sizes.

I've driven 30,000 winter miles from MD to NYC and zero wheel or tire damage from potholes.
Appreciate 0