F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Goodbye To A Great Dual Purpose Car
Studio RSR

06-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #1
JMK007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 M Sport, RWD

Goodbye To A Great Dual Purpose Car

It is with considerable sadness that I have recently sold my BMW. This dual-purpose car has served me very well. It had an Ohlins R&T suspensions and a full Stop Tech BBK, all of which I am listing for sale in the classified section of this forum.

One day I will be returning to BMW. Until then, I wish all my fellow BMW track guys and gals all the best.
Midwestern Council TT Champion, BS, ‘17 BRZ, ‘19
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Sorry to hear you've parted company with your F30! You have been one of the members whose posts I most enjoyed...

If you don't mind my asking, can you share your preferred settings for the R/T coils on the street and on track? Also, did you stick with the springs in the kit, or swap to something stiffer?

I have decided to try Swift springs - 8 kg front / 20 kg rear

Last edited by DVC; 06-11-2016 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
JMK007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I never had a chance to even track these coilovers. It's a shame because I bet they would be great on track. My street setting was 11 from full soft and I just used the stock springs. I presume you have R/T coils? If you are using R comps, I can see going to stiffer springs--particularly the front. What rates did you get and what have been your impressions?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yes, I just installed the R/T coils a few weeks ago. It's an impressive kit - both more comfortable than my OEM/Dinan setup, and vastly more capable in terms of maintaining body control and mechanical grip.
That said, I feel like heavier springs might be a further improvement in performance (even if they compromise comfort), particularly in the firmer end of the damper adjustment range. I haven't ordered them yet, but I'm leaning toward Swift springs, 8kg front (a 33% increase from stock) and 20kg rear (25% increase). The only consideration is that the Ohlins kit comes with 8" front, 9" rear springs... but Swift doesn't make 9" springs above 16kg (in a typical coil over arrangement, this could be problematic, but in the F30's divorced Spring/damper arrangement with a 2+:1 motion ratio leveraging the spring, a heavy rear spring is a must). So I'll likely go with a 3kg helper spring for the rear - not so much to ensure proper droop, but really just to ensure that there's no slack above or below the spring in full droop.

I'm not on R-comps, but I don't think this 8kg/20kg springs will put me in that grip profile; the F80/82 Ohlins R/T kit comes with 9kg front and 23kg rear springs.
      06-13-2016, 10:12 PM   #5
JMK007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The rear springs rates on the ohlins are pretty damn high. They increased those much more from stock than the fronts. You may be able to get away with just increasing the fronts to 400 lbs or so, leave the rears, and still have a very balanced car.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK007 View Post
The rear springs rates on the ohlins are pretty damn high. They increased those much more from stock than the fronts. You may be able to get away with just increasing the fronts to 400 lbs or so, leave the rears, and still have a very balanced car.
I am also considering splitting the difference and going with 18kg rear... but to be honest, the way the car is now (on the 6kg/16kg springs that came in the Ohlins kit), it feels balanced - no stiffer in the rear than in the front.