E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Hotchkis vs Stock Front Swaybar Review

06-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
ssdara
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Hotchkis vs Stock Front Swaybar Review

Setup: Koni Yellows, HR Sport Springs, 19inch wheels, Hotchkis front sway & adjustable endlinks, Stock rear sway & stock endlinks, All shock/spring components refreshed : shock mounts, spring perches, dust boots, bump stops(e36 m3 in the front)

74k Miles : HR Sport springs : Looked amazing dropped, but felt like my bones were shattering over any large bump. Handling was improved. Rode this for 5000 miles before I gave up. To put in perspective, I couldn't slip my fingers between top of tire and wheel fender, I like stance though so worth.

79k Miles : Koni Yellows + Shock/Spring components refresh : Felt so amazing! Way less body roll, car felt more planted, felt better control, and it even raised me up a little (~half of an inch) because my stock shocks were blown. I can get my hand in there now

80k Miles : Still felt a good amount of body roll and shocks were hitting hard in the front, and I did not feel confident taking turns at higher speeds. Advice from my mechanic(won NOLA motorsports couple of times) was you don't need to upgrade rear swaybar until you start hitting 34mm and I heard on these forums you need a LSD, so didn't bother and glad I didn't because I honestly have all the turn in I need. Ordered the Hotchkis Front Sway Kit (32mm Sway) (Thanks Jeff@TopGearSolutions for a great price and prompt attention). After install, I took the car for a spin and WOW there is no more body roll around corners. Car felt more planted and solid, less impact up front over large bumps, and it truly feels like a sports car! I can't believe it's not a Coupe around these turns now, it constantly begs me to take every turn quicker and quicker but I have to tell her stop I can't afford a ticket my registration is expired.

Endlinks I had a hell of a time with these because I didn't want any preload on the swaybar, jack both rotors up to ride height, and adjust/insert swaybar links through mounting holes so they can slide in and out easily with nut removed. Blue loctite included for nuts, which are also nylon threaded. The ball joints on the Hotchkis were definitely more stiff where the stock ball joints were loose to spin as they liked. Definitely crafted with care. (43lb/ft)

Bushings/Brackets Zerk nips for regreasing, nice. Beautiful brackets, grease was included, used all of it, very easy process here, heard difficulties about other bushings but these were basically slip and slide on. (16lb/ft aka hand tight)

Swaybar This is a big girl at 32mm(hollow), I didn't believe it would go in at first, my tip would be to get it over the driver steering rod first, shift as far towards the driver caliper as you can, then rotate it through the passenger side.

Last edited by ssdara; 06-06-2016 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Thanks for the review and support.

I'm actually waiting on UUC Xi Front Sway bar and I can't wait to see the difference.

I probably would have went with Hotchkis if they made one for the Xi.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0