F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > car rocking/oscillating forward to back when stopping (after coilover install)
Extreme Powerhouse

06-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
mitrong
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive

car rocking/oscillating forward to back when stopping (after coilover install)

hey all, i jsut got street comfort coils installed and they feel great, however i am experiencing a forward/back oscillation when i come to a complete stop

my rear is a little lower than my fronts. would this be caused by a different in front to rear ride height?

or is this an issue with my rebound settings?

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 06:08 PM   #2
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrong View Post
hey all, i jsut got street comfort coils installed and they feel great, however i am experiencing a forward/back oscillation when i come to a complete stop

my rear is a little lower than my fronts. would this be caused by a different in front to rear ride height?

or is this an issue with my rebound settings?

thanks.
I assume you mean the KW Street Comfort kit... In reading the write-up on the KW site, I don't see spring weights listed - but based on the description (and the accompanying picture of an F30 riding on a cloud), it seems they intend it to be more "comfortable" than stock. If that's the case, then the springs and compression settings are likely very soft (the stock suspension is already quite soft in my opinion). So it's neither the ride height difference, nor the rebound settings (which have very little impact on body roll), but the soft springs and compression settings that result in the pitch and roll you describe.

Last edited by DVC; 06-08-2016 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

How many clicks did your shop dial on each coilover during installation? KW recommends to begin with 9 clicks. My vehicle - with 9 clicks on each coilover - does not oscillate. I suggest to call the shop first.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
sball
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW f32

Hi,

just installed KW SC on f32. I only dropped it 0.5" front and back but the car is crashing over every pothole. It feels like the car is bottoming out and I'm not sure why as the drop was minimal.
I was under the impression my ride would be slightly stiffer (better for cornering) without sacrificing the ride.

Need feedback on how to adjust the dampening to fix the crashing issue.

thanks for any suggestions,
Steve
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sball
Hi,

just installed KW SC on f32. I only dropped it 0.5" front and back but the car is crashing over every pothole. It feels like the car is bottoming out and I'm not sure why as the drop was minimal.
I was under the impression my ride would be slightly stiffer (better for cornering) without sacrificing the ride.

Need feedback on how to adjust the dampening to fix the crashing issue.

thanks for any suggestions,
Steve
Did you install the coilovers by yourself or was the installation performed by a professional shop?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
lance666
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i

Does kw set the damping by default to 9 clicks off hard? I only set front but left rear n installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 01:29 AM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Not knowing how the installation was performed, I suggest to read the Setup Manual again. The instructions clearly state ...

"Attention: never drive the vehicle with the shock absorbers set to full hard or full soft!"

Each coilover has to be set manually as the Setup Manual indicates.

If the vehicle is "crashing over every pothole", there is a remote possibility that the coilovers are set at full soft. This basically means the valve mechanism inside the coilover shock is doing very little to absorb the weight of the car and damage can be occur.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 06:26 AM   #8
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Not knowing how the installation was performed, I suggest to read the Setup Manual again. The instructions clearly state ...

"Attention: never drive the vehicle with the shock absorbers set to full hard or full soft!"

If the vehicle is "crashing over every pothole", there is a remote possibility that the coilovers are set at full soft. This basically means the valve mechanism inside the coilover shock is doing very little to absorb the weight of the car and damage can be occur.

It always amuses me when people buy/install modifications without understanding how they are supposed to be used completely.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 09:04 AM   #9
mitrong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post

arent the kw set at 9 clicks from the factory though? unless the installer set it on full soft accidentally/on purpose, which would be a whole different problem
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 09:06 AM   #10
mitrong
Private
Rep

btw, regarding the main topic, after settling with my kw comforts, i am about a 1.75 inch drop in the rear and a 1.4 inch drop.

from my research, it seems that this is way too agressive of a drop for x-drives/street comforts and that raising the car to a more conservative drop will fix my issues and improve handling.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 09:14 AM   #11
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrong View Post
btw, regarding the main topic, after settling with my kw comforts, i am about a 1.75 inch drop in the rear and a 1.4 inch drop.

from my research, it seems that this is way too agressive of a drop for x-drives/street comforts and that raising the car to a more conservative drop will fix my issues and improve handling.
Well, there's a reason why BMW M Performance Suspension, Ohlins Road&Track and AST 5100 suspensions aim for only 10mm lower than Sport suspension and 20mm lower than base suspension.

These guys have done their homework.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #12
mitrong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Well, there's a reason why BMW M Performance Suspension, Ohlins Road&Track and AST 5100 suspensions aim for only 10mm lower than Sport suspension and 20mm lower than base suspension.

These guys have done their homework.

yeah, unless you overhaul the WHOLE suspension, it generally is better for handling to keep a car at close to stock height

i never really drive at the limit so i was more interested in reducing body roll.

conventional wisdom was that the lower you drop your car, the less body roll you have, but i've recently found out that dropping the car too low can make body roll worse because of roll center issues

wish i knew this before!

it was weird when i got the comforts installed and drove it and felt like the body roll had not really improved.
Appreciate 0