E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need Brake Set Recommendations please

06-09-2016, 03:57 AM   #1
MsportFury
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 Comp & E92 325d

Need Brake Set Recommendations please

Hi guys, I've not posted a thread in a hot minute, so, first of all for those that don't know, I have a Pearl white 2011 LCI MSport E92 325d.

I am looking to replace my Brake Calipers, Pads and Discs, This is mainly due to rust and the fact that they look old and crappy, I want the Calipers to be bigger than stock and in a red colour! Taking this into account I don't want to spend shed loads of cash on the parts, but want something that performs just as well, and is just as durable (or better) as a brand new stock brake set.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I should go for? I've never replaced a brake set before so I'm a super noob to this and have no idea what I'm doing or looking for...

I've vaguely looked into Stoptech and think the Calipers sound and look great, but still wouldn't know which model of them to buy etc, as I said.. Super noob.

All feedback is appreciated, thanks!
      06-09-2016, 07:05 AM   #2
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

I paid a little over 600 all said and done just for the fronts. I'm starting the rear now. Only budget way to do brakes is yourself using paint.

I guess I should explain lol. I upgraded to 335 calipers and had them powder coated. Also used drilled rotors with ceramic pads and stainless brake lines and a uro wear sensor. So I'm not really sure how budget friendly that would be.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 02:34 AM   #3
MsportFury
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 Comp & E92 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsbma
I paid a little over 600 all said and done just for the fronts. I'm starting the rear now. Only budget way to do brakes is yourself using paint.

I guess I should explain lol. I upgraded to 335 calipers and had them powder coated. Also used drilled rotors with ceramic pads and stainless brake lines and a uro wear sensor. So I'm not really sure how budget friendly that would be.
I see, didn't think it would be cheap haha, what about just getting all of the rust cleaned off, that must be possible? Then I could just replace the calipers and like you say get them powder coated
      06-10-2016, 07:27 AM   #4
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsportFury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsbma

I see, didn't think it would be cheap haha, what about just getting all of the rust cleaned off, that must be possible? Then I could just replace the calipers and like you say get them powder coated
You could have them sandblasted (step before powder coat), that would make them shiny new again. But you'll most likely need to rebuild them after. I wouldn't trust someone to blast them with piston and seals still assembled. If you go that route you'll need two rebuild kits, and a few days to strip, blast, rebuild/install. And that's just for your stock calipers, so you'll also have no car for a few days, unless you have a shop that can blast them same day as you strip them. If you add powder coat then you're waiting another day or two without your car. Not a big deal if you have another ride. I do not, so I was pretty much forced to buy a set of calipers. Only other option is to clean them really good and paint them, which you can save a lot of time and do on the car (mask it off very good!)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 08:01 AM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

It would always be sweet to have some fixed calipers...wonder if anyone can do a M2 brake set on a 335.....
Appreciate 0