BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

First Repair

So I originally posted elements of this as a response to a thread, but thought it deserved its own given the turn of events.

As some of you know, my display key has stopped charging and ultimately died. Couldn't revive it with the wireless charging sleeve, or via direct-connect USB cable. It was a nuisance, but I simply switched to the mechanical key and resigned myself to having a service tech look at the key whenever I took the car in for service. In the meantime, I started hearing a faint squeaking noise coming from someplace between the sliding glass LED (sky lounge) roof and the headliner. It was faint at first, but it got progressively worse on every subsequent drive. Closing the headliner made the squeaking stop but, of course, at night I wouldn't be able to enjoy the LED lights in the roof.

So given my key situation, and this new squeaking nuisance, I decided it was time to take the car to the dealership so they could have a look at both problems. No one there could figure out why my display key won't charge anymore, so they're ordering me a new one.

The squeaking roof is another story. It's driving me NUTS! Sounds like two pieces of rubber rubbing against one another. Anyway, they found the problem, and began the process of replacing the rubber seal around the interior of the sliding glass roof. However, they halted that when they realized the "squeaky" part was actually connected to the LED mechanism that illuminates the roof. Guess what they've got to do? Yep -- replace the entire roof. They're bringing the part from Germany via air freight, which they say will take a couple of weeks. They don't anticipate returning my car to me until close to the end of June! So frustrating that this "squeak" turned into an entire roof replacement.

They gave me a loaner 2016 7 Series, but it's a base "no options" 740i. I've been driving it a couple of days and already miss all the bells and whistles of my fully optioned 750i. Specifically, this 740i doesn't have the Autobahn package (which means no Integral Active Steering) -- I'm fully feeling the size of this car without that feature. It's also missing the Driver Assistance Plus package, so I'm stuck with only a rear-facing camera. Parking a 17ft long car without the rear wheel steering (and tighter turning radius IAS provides) and Top / Side view cameras is tough! And, this car has the Harmon Kardon sound system -- I can say definitively that the Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround system in my 750i is FAR superior; way better than the HK system, which makes me feel better about having ponied up $3400 for the option. Anyway, now that I'm in this loaner, I really miss all that stuff haha! But, as they say, these are first world problems. Man am I spoiled! This situation is the perfect expression of the Hedonic Treadmill: Sustained exposure to extravagant luxuries converts them to dull daily necessities.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport

Last edited by TheBry; 06-10-2016 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
figgie
Private
Rep
Drives: CTS

Garage List
Hi Bry,

sorry to hear about the issues but definetly 1st world problems

a loaner base 740i in comparison to a decked out 750i.

At least you have someway to get around
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #3
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Closing the loop here. They re-delivered my car last night -- exactly two weeks from the date I dropped it off. I now have a new display key (which, mercifully, charges), and I also have an entirely new sliding roof mechanism. The squeakiness is gone, thank goodness.

I must say, surrendering the loaner 740i made me happy too. It's a fine car, but I'd become so accustomed to the way my own 750i is outfitted, I genuinely missed my interior (and all options). Still, it was pretty cool they were able to give me a 7-Series to drive for two weeks; no questions asked.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 03:42 AM   #4
wekido
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Xdrive

Same feeling as yours, They gave me a loaner car 740i 2016 when I was there, they programed display key.. I returned the 740 after 2hours, because of 740i is not that good as my fully equipped 750Xi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
So I originally posted elements of this as a response to a thread, but thought it deserved its own given the turn of events.

As some of you know, my display key has stopped charging and ultimately died. Couldn't revive it with the wireless charging sleeve, or via direct-connect USB cable. It was a nuisance, but I simply switched to the mechanical key and resigned myself to having a service tech look at the key whenever I took the car in for service. In the meantime, I started hearing a faint squeaking noise coming from someplace between the sliding glass LED (sky lounge) roof and the headliner. It was faint at first, but it got progressively worse on every subsequent drive. Closing the headliner made the squeaking stop but, of course, at night I wouldn't be able to enjoy the LED lights in the roof.

So given my key situation, and this new squeaking nuisance, I decided it was time to take the car to the dealership so they could have a look at both problems. No one there could figure out why my display key won't charge anymore, so they're ordering me a new one.

The squeaking roof is another story. It's driving me NUTS! Sounds like two pieces of rubber rubbing against one another. Anyway, they found the problem, and began the process of replacing the rubber seal around the interior of the sliding glass roof. However, they halted that when they realized the "squeaky" part was actually connected to the LED mechanism that illuminates the roof. Guess what they've got to do? Yep -- replace the entire roof. They're bringing the part from Germany via air freight, which they say will take a couple of weeks. They don't anticipate returning my car to me until close to the end of June! So frustrating that this "squeak" turned into an entire roof replacement.

They gave me a loaner 2016 7 Series, but it's a base "no options" 740i. I've been driving it a couple of days and already miss all the bells and whistles of my fully optioned 750i. Specifically, this 740i doesn't have the Autobahn package (which means no Integral Active Steering) -- I'm fully feeling the size of this car without that feature. It's also missing the Driver Assistance Plus package, so I'm stuck with only a rear-facing camera. Parking a 17ft long car without the rear wheel steering (and tighter turning radius IAS provides) and Top / Side view cameras is tough! And, this car has the Harmon Kardon sound system -- I can say definitively that the Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround system in my 750i is FAR superior; way better than the HK system, which makes me feel better about having ponied up $3400 for the option. Anyway, now that I'm in this loaner, I really miss all that stuff haha! But, as they say, these are first world problems. Man am I spoiled! This situation is the perfect expression of the Hedonic Treadmill: Sustained exposure to extravagant luxuries converts them to dull daily necessities.
Appreciate 0