E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > HiFi Underseat Amp upgrade

06-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
zoppp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 528i

HiFi Underseat Amp upgrade

Hey everyone,
Ive been having an issue with the amp that seems to drive the underseat woofers in my e60. I have the Hifi system so I am wondering how I would go about replacing the amp with an aftermarket one. The amp is located on left wheel arch in the trunk of my car and when I unplug it the underseat woofers stop working.

I was reading around in the audio upgrade thread and it seems what I need is the technic harness and an amp, I just don't know which amp to get. Preferably want to keep this under $300. I plan to upgrade the underseat woofers with Earthquakes at some point as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #2
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoppp View Post
Hey everyone,
Ive been having an issue with the amp that seems to drive the underseat woofers in my e60. I have the Hifi system so I am wondering how I would go about replacing the amp with an aftermarket one. The amp is located on left wheel arch in the trunk of my car and when I unplug it the underseat woofers stop working.

I was reading around in the audio upgrade thread and it seems what I need is the technic harness and an amp, I just don't know which amp to get. Preferably want to keep this under $300. I plan to upgrade the underseat woofers with Earthquakes at some point as well.
You just need an amp that accepts high voltage (5v) balanced inputs and 4 or 6 channels (depending on whether or not you want rear speakers to be powered).

People typically use JL and ARC amps or if you want something cheaper I think the MB quart amps are applicable.

You're correct with the Technic harness.

If i'm incorrect I'm sure someone will come along and correct my statements.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #3
skrelnik
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

PM technic and let him know you have the HiFi system and want to upgrade the amp only. He'll sell you the harness, the right one, and then tell you how to connect. Look for a jl audio xd 600\6. You need 6 channels from the amp.

If you want an OEM amp I am selling mine since I upgraded to an audiotec fisher PP82. Available through forum member 6spdcoupe, he can probably send you a harnass as well. He did my install.
Appreciate 1