BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Initial Impressions: M6 is dead, long live the M2! (plus a few pics)

06-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Initial Impressions: M6 is dead, long live the M2! (plus a few pics)

Initial views on almost a week of ownership, and wow am I loving it!

Just for context and the odd comparison remark - I previously had an F13 M6 and sold that a few weeks before delivery. I also needed a firebreak in between, so rented a new Mustang 5.0 V8 GT (which I loved for its character, maybe not perfect, but wow what fun, and that V8…)

Perhaps like many, I was very disappointed with some of the missing M features of the M2 at launch. So much so that I ordered an M4 which would then be my proper M car to fill in the missing M6 things. That would arrive a couple of months after the M2.

I had seen the car at the Welt back in February and that started to help, and all the positive reviews started to sway me - Could this car really be back to M basics. Then a few weeks ago, I read Clarkson’s review a few weeks ago and he summed up my concerns perfectly - http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews...w-2016-bmw-m2/

Quote:
Seriously. Who in their right mind is going to wake up one morning and think: “Yes. I have the money to pay for an M4, but I shall buy something smaller, less good-looking and with less power and less equipment instead”?
And of course, the conclusion
Quote:
It is a much better drive*than the M4. It’s so good that in a few bends I was actually dribbling with joy”
So this spurred me on, to embrace the M2 and give it a chance...

Wow, first impressions made!

When the sales guy took me to the collection garage, I was so impressed - it looks good, so much better than the pics, and the colour is just stunning. Shows of the lines, different blues (with the odd hint of green sometimes) in certain lights. Just bold and unique, a good change and perfect for the M2. The proportions are almost cartoonish on first impressions. Its looks small, yet so wide with big overhangs. I loved the M6 proportions, but boy that was a big GT car!

I then had planned a Yorkshire dales route home (missing half of the motorway out), what a way to drive learn about my new car! Dave (the sales guy) actually lived enroute at first stop, so at pace I followed him in his 440i , keeping well enough back not to get stone chipped! He picked me up from the rail station in the 440i and it sounds very smooth, but so muted compared to the M2!

Stock sound is my most surprising upside, as I was worried it would be far to like a M135i. It’s really edgy, old school M, with that racing howl, as you wind it up (from 3k revs onwards). More pure joy!

In a tight Manchester city street, I wound it up at one end of a street, and everybody turned round to see what was making the banshee wail! I enjoyed the M6 exhaust noise a lot - loud, bassy and full of potency (with my mod gadget keeping the valves open), but I do think the M2 has gone back to a trademark M six sound, that can be accessed more easily. And yes It really is way more pleasing to the ear than the M4.

On down shifts it pops and burbles, but these seem a little constrained. I need to get the see if I can keep the valves open more, (unless sport mode does that). Or perhaps I need a M Perf exhaust or Akraprovc …but honestly stock is very good, don't just get an MPE before you hear stock!

On the twistes, it's v. good - great damping (even as its fixed, seems comfortable enough yet firm) and its well sprung. Over hills and crests there is very little movement (unlike the relaxed Mustang!). It does feel a small car to drive, its perfectly balanced - I want to push this car harder once the tires have scrubbed in.

Another surprise - the M EPS has some feel..wow seriously, like an M setup should be! It's not massive, but you can feel surface vibrations and what the fronts are doing - a revelation compared to standard BMW EPS.

The engine doesn't really feel like a Turbo, it’s an engine that needs to be revved (which is a good thing!). So while running in feels a little down on power (but then it does have 200hp less than my M6 and 50hp less than the Mustang). But hopefully it will loosen up and when I can fully rev it out will be fast enough.

I reckon it will keep up with a lot more powerfully / bigger cars by the way it can go around corners. Traction seems very good as well, takes a lot to provoke a MDM slide and it is then very progressive (like the NA V8 Mustang), where the M6 would try and kill you!

Lack of M Setting adjustability is bit crap. but again, I can live with it, e.g. I prefer DCT on full intensity when in manual mode, and that is only set when in Sport +. But otherwise sport pretty much works well! Will start pushing Sport+ and MDM, but on a few T junctions exists, I got more traction than I could slip while being gentle-ish. In damp as well, I am astounded at how much grip there is, and when it does let go, the feedback it gives you.

Motorway though, meh - far too noisy, you can really hear the removal of sound deadening to save weight and this bloody MPSS make a lot of roar! 7th also seems too highly geared so it’s doing 2.5k at 75/80 ish. But then maybe that’s due to the lower power. You also can't cruise a 1,000 revs like you can in the M6!

Interior, well I quite like it. It really helped running the Mustang in-between the M6, as the M2 is now an uplift! The Blue stitching works surprisingly really well, as does the carbon and alcantara. There are still some lower grade plastics that don’t help (and the bit around the DCT stick is a mess). but it’s still a nice place to be and suits the character of the M2 (driving focused)

The M dash looks fab, and thankfully they have added the oil temp as a graphic (something really missing from the M1/235i).

Steering wheel is a new M jobbie, smaller and feels the right amount of chunky with the usual crossed M stitching.

The seats look and feel like they have bigger bolsters than the normal M sport seats. So really hug you and feel good, but still a lack of shoulder support. But I deliberately kept the spec to essentials, so dropped the electric seats. They are therefore lower and right on the floor which I prefer. But it's a sod to adjust them on the move, unlike the electric seats. I am now in the perfect position, so at least they will never need adjusting again lol!

My two boys even fit in the back and have lots of room (plus two cup holders). So that is one (and only) place the interior trumps the M6 interior

In summary though, and I have used this word a lot - this is such a surprising car, it's a joy! It really is M, back to a driver focused machine, and now I have driven it, I don't care about the lack of mirrors, carbon roof or full leather dash etc.

They have tweaked an N55 with S55 bits to be sound better than the S55! I was also worried it would sound to like a M135i or 335i - ha no way!

Roll on being able to drive this car at its full potential as the M car of the momentl!!! I have already coded out the ASD - before and after vid here: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1272747

Oh and as fate smiles on the bold, my dealer gave me the opportunity to cancel the M4. Which it took - yes the M2 is that amazing.

Last edited by TMP; 06-13-2016 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: typo's
Appreciate 16
      06-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Congrats and thanks for the awesome write up and pics!
Appreciate 2
      06-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Awesome!!!! Happy to have you here man. Enjoy it! And don't take it for granted! Mine is in the shop after hitting a Coyote :/

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Nice review

After hearing and test driving the M2 I'm inclined to stick with the standard exhaust.I think BMW have really tuned it well to give a pleasing sound as is.

By the sound of it I take it this is a keeper and not Auto trader fodder then
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Congrats and welcome to the fam!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
Nice review

After hearing and test driving the M2 I'm inclined to stick with the standard exhaust.I think BMW have really tuned it well to give a pleasing sound as is.

I'm getting the VSRF catless DP

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
I'm getting the VSRF catless DP
Nice one,make sure you get a pair of these while you're at it

14658399620501984461407.jpg
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #8
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice one,make sure you get a pair of these while you're at it

14658399620501984461407.jpg
Well I'm hoping that in comfort mode the flaps will still do their job

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #9
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
Congrats and thanks for the awesome write up and pics!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Awesome!!!! Happy to have you here man. Enjoy it! And don't take it for granted! Mine is in the shop after hitting a Coyote :/
Cheers! Oh no, when you do get it back?

Quote:
Nice review

Thanks as well! Yeah, I am so impressed with the standard tone...lovely. Still would like to hear a MPE or full system....but not likely to change

As i said, i was wobbling earlier in the year, but yeah this could well be a keeper! Even thinking of an XPEL PPF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
Congrats and welcome to the fam!
Cheers mate
      06-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #10
Haslamhazza
Private
Rep
Drives: Just got M2

Great review. Car looks ace. I wasn't brave enough to get blue. It looks fantastic. I've got 500 miles to go before 1st service. It's killing me. Why did u buy in Yorkshire and not Manchester?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 05:35 AM   #11
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslamhazza
Great review. Car looks ace. I wasn't brave enough to get blue. It looks fantastic. I've got 500 miles to go before 1st service. It's killing me. Why did u buy in Yorkshire and not Manchester?
Thanks! I personally wanted a unique colour and my M6 was in black - so time to go brave and bold yes!

My local dealer already had 2 cars on the list, so I went a bit further afield, and it was where I got my M6 from, so had a good relationship with them.

If I was you, I would take it for a long drive this weekend, and get the run in service booked in for Monday... !!
      06-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
Drisser
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d/Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Nice write up. I have a 2017 deposit but also test drove the V8 Mustang at the weekend. How was it to live with for a few weeks ? AM worried about the dealers looking after it and durability to be honest..
      06-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #13
Haslamhazza
Private
Rep
Drives: Just got M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Thanks! I personally wanted a unique colour and my M6 was in black - so time to go brave and bold yes!

My local dealer already had 2 cars on the list, so I went a bit further afield, and it was where I got my M6 from, so had a good relationship with them.

If I was you, I would take it for a long drive this weekend, and get the run in service booked in for Monday... !!
I'll have to pop down to London and back!!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #14
FUKTHISFORUM
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: none

Saw the M2 for the first time today. I wasn't sure about this car before launch but I'm totally sold. This really is a car that needs to be experienced live to know how special it is. Great design. Pics don't do it justice.pricey little car though that's for sure.
      06-15-2016, 05:07 PM   #15
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:

The M dash looks fab, and thankfully they have added the oil temp as a graphic (something really missing from the M1/235i).

The seats look and feel like they have bigger bolsters than the normal M sport seats. So really hug you and feel good, but still a lack of shoulder support. But I deliberately kept the spec to essentials, so dropped the electric seats. They are therefore lower and right on the floor which I prefer. But it's a sod to adjust them on the move, unlike the electric seats. I am now in the perfect position, so at least they will never need adjusting again lol!
Nice first impresion...I feel exatly the same about looks, steering, engine, road holding, etc as what you have writen (after I did my testdrive). I still have to wait 6 months for my own M2 to arrive. I also selected the manual seats on my order...so that I could sit a little lower then the electric seats

Where can I find that oil temperature indication?

Why did you choose a M-DCT instead of the manual? I now selected a manual gearbox...because I think it will increase the fun aspect of the M2?
      06-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #16
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drisser View Post
Nice write up. I have a 2017 deposit but also test drove the V8 Mustang at the weekend. How was it to live with for a few weeks ? AM worried about the dealers looking after it and durability to be honest..
Thx!

I absolutely loved the Mustang, and as a daily it was good. Its big (but then i had an M6, so that was ok) but a lot of fun and really pulls. The interior is ok, touch screen nav just about ok - but who cares, its all about the engine and the fun chasis. ITs just a hoot. Oh and i got so much attention in it... seriously, people always talking to you about it. I thought i would hate the Orange, but loved it. It even won over the very sceptical wifey!!

my fave picture, just had to take it, how ironic lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Bison View Post
Saw the M2 for the first time today. I wasn't sure about this car before launch but I'm totally sold. This really is a car that needs to be experienced live to know how special it is. Great design. Pics don't do it justice.pricey little car though that's for sure.
Totally agree, seeing this car in the metal is something else. Its the outrageous proportions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Nice first impresion...I feel exatly the same about looks, steering, engine, road holding, etc as what you have writen (after I did my testdrive). I still have to wait 6 months for my own M2 to arrive. I also selected the manual seats on my order...so that I could sit a little lower then the electric seats

Where can I find that oil temperature indication?

Why did you choose a M-DCT instead of the manual? I now selected a manual gearbox...because I think it will increase the fun aspect of the M2?
Glad you agree
You cycle though the trip commute and the temp is on there. I keep it on most of the time.

This is my daily, so i prefer a DCT for traffic. Its very good in manual mode too.
I do enjoys manuals as well, and yes i think the M2 would be a bit more engaging, if not quite as fast.
      06-16-2016, 01:07 PM   #17
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
This is my daily, so i prefer a DCT for traffic. Its very good in manual mode too.
I do enjoys manuals as well, and yes i think the M2 would be a bit more engaging, if not quite as fast.
The M2 is going to be my daily also... My daily for the last 10 years is a manual e46 325i touring...
      06-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #18
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

Nice write up. Can't wait to take delivery of mine (late December). I would never have considered the blue but having driven a blue one I was sold!
      06-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #19
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Posted this here, http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1275608 but I think i may keep this thread updated as my M2 mod thread as well.

Ok, so I know in my review i said
Quote:
now I have driven it, I don't care about the lack of mirrors..
However, I saw these last week and couldn't resist. You can have them body colour, carbon or gloss black... seem pretty good quality & great service: http://www.autoid.uk.com/store/bmw/mstylewingmirrors

06-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #20
ArnoldRimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 Competition LCI

Still got soooooooo long to wait for mine

Like the mirror caps you've gone for - might order a set myself but I'll wait till I've actually got the car first

For an extra £20 I could even persuade myself for a cheeky pair of carbonfibre ones

Last edited by ArnoldRimmer; 06-21-2016 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:35 AM   #21
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnoldRimmer View Post
Still got soooooooo long to wait for mine

Like the mirror caps you've gone for - might order a set myself but I'll wait till I've actually got the car first

For an extra £20 I could even persuade myself for a cheeky pair of carbonfibre ones
The carbon ones are on sale! Same price as the OEM paint.
Appreciate 0