F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suspension Questions
ARMA SPEED

06-14-2016, 08:15 AM   #1
EatMoreLobsters
Lobster Soup
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP Black/Sakhir

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 335i xDrive  [0.00]
Suspension Questions

I recently had the Dinan Spring & Handling kit installed on my 335xi, handling is better but I'm still getting that bouncy/floaty feeling and have to hold my breathe if i see pothole. I've been recommended the KW V3 Coilovers Complete kit, which I think is on the high end of suspension systems. Does anyone have experience with this or other systems on a a 335xi? Bonus, do you live around central Jersey and can I see them in action?
2013 335i xDrive PWG: Bootmod3 Stage 2 | MPPK | FBO Dinan - CAI - Exhaust (Black) - Intercooler - Big Turbo - Fuel Pump | ER Downpipe | ER Chargepipe | BMS WMI Kit | KW V1 Suspension | Vorsteiner v-ff 103 | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
https://www.instagram.com/m3_blake
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 09:05 AM   #2
bbog2008
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive

If I understand this correctly, you have just swapped you springs with Dinan springs and bump stops but you kept the stock struts/shock absorbents? If so the bouncy ride is to be expected as those xdrive shocks are too soft for the Dinan springs. You need different shocks now (Bilstein B8) to match those stiffer springs.
You gonna need to change the RFT's also if you still have them.
Not really cheap, I know, but unfortunately there is no other way at this point.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMoreLobsters
I recently had the Dinan Spring & Handling kit installed on my 335xi, handling is better but I'm still getting that bouncy/floaty feeling and have to hold my breathe if i see pothole. I've been recommended the KW V3 Coilovers Complete kit, which I think is on the high end of suspension systems. Does anyone have experience with this or other systems on a a 335xi? Bonus, do you live around central Jersey and can I see them in action?
What's your budget? Is your vehicle a daily driver? If yes - sufficient clearance is a plus when driving in the snow. You will have to decide whether to lower the vehicle and by how much. The visual esthetics of eliminating wheel gap on xDrive models are appealing to many but the compromise is lower ground clearance.

Coilovers are a better option because springs and shocks are matched by design. Stiff springs and soft shocks will produce the symptoms you are describing. Bilstein B8 shocks may be the answer - can't comment, no experience with these shocks and Dinan springs. I suggest to research this further.

There are many coilover options. Typical decision criteria:

- Drop range
- What is adjustable: rebound, dampening
- Cost
- Manufacturer: warranty, reputation

KW Street Comfort coilovers provide the option of minimum drop and a significant improvement in handling at approximately $1600 plus installation.

The debate of RFT vs non RFT tires is perhaps as old and as vocal as xDrive vs RWD models. RFT tires have stiffer sidewall, produce more noise, and weigh more. They will handle differently. My vehicle came with Bridgestone Potenza S001 tires which lasted 20K miles. I just replaced them with the same tires. My vehicle - a daily driver - has KW Street Comfort coilovers with minimum drop. I prefer tires with stiffer sidewall and the luxury of not having a spare tire in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
EatMoreLobsters
Lobster Soup
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP Black/Sakhir

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 335i xDrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
What's your budget? Is your vehicle a daily driver? If yes - sufficient clearance is a plus when driving in the snow. You will have to decide whether to lower the vehicle and by how much. The visual esthetics of eliminating wheel gap on xDrive models are appealing to many but the compromise is lower ground clearance.

Coilovers are a better option because springs and shocks are matched by design. Stiff springs and soft shocks will produce the symptoms you are describing. Bilstein B8 shocks may be the answer - can't comment, no experience with these shocks and Dinan springs. I suggest to research this further.

There are many coilover options. Typical decision criteria:

- Drop range
- What is adjustable: rebound, dampening
- Cost
- Manufacturer: warranty, reputation

KW Street Comfort coilovers provide the option of minimum drop and a significant improvement in handling at approximately $1600 plus installation.

The debate of RFT vs non RFT tires is perhaps as old and as vocal as xDrive vs RWD models. RFT tires have stiffer sidewall, produce more noise, and weigh more. They will handle differently. My vehicle came with Bridgestone Potenza S001 tires which lasted 20K miles. I just replaced them with the same tires. My vehicle - a daily driver - has KW Street Comfort coilovers with minimum drop. I prefer tires with stiffer sidewall and the luxury of not having a spare tire in the trunk.
It is my daily, and the reason I bought a 335 over an m3 was for the awd since i live in the northeast. My budget is pretty open, I've heard good things about the KW V3 Coilovers Complete as well as Bilstein. My rep told me about the KW, BMW is starting to rebrand these and using them as OEM, they would also warranty them. I'm still using the Pirelli all seasons that came with the car but I've been contemplating getting a summer set, I haven't yet because I don't really have anywhere to store a winter set.
2013 335i xDrive PWG: Bootmod3 Stage 2 | MPPK | FBO Dinan - CAI - Exhaust (Black) - Intercooler - Big Turbo - Fuel Pump | ER Downpipe | ER Chargepipe | BMS WMI Kit | KW V1 Suspension | Vorsteiner v-ff 103 | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
https://www.instagram.com/m3_blake
Appreciate 0