F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 BMW 340 M Performance Exhaust
GetBMWParts

06-14-2016, 12:26 PM   #1
mikeleeyh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive M Sport

F30 BMW 340 M Performance Exhaust

Hi Everyone!

From the time I first purchased my car, back in Oct 2015, I've been waiting for the MPPK to become available here in NA. Seems like it'll be available starting July but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Meanwhile, I was looking at the BMW website and only the M Performance Silencer Exhaust was available for the 2016 340ix.

Can someone confirm, is the M Performance Silencer Exhaust, shown on below link, the same as the MPE everyone is talking about? Looking for the burble and pop sounds. My stock exhaust is too quiet imo.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/53...MANCE-SILENCER

Thanks in advance for the input!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

There is lots of info on this exact topic in the long thread on the MPPK on this very page. Bottom line, no they aren't the same. The silencer that is currently available is an axle-back exhaust, so just a muffler really. Will probably give you some pops and burbles but that's about it. The M Performance Power & Sound kit will come with a cat-back exhaust (so includes a mid-pipe) along with a tune that is supposed to work with the exhaust to bump HP by 30 or so vs. the reported numbers. There are pics and diagram of all this that can be found by searching this board.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
mikeleeyh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nodge View Post
There is lots of info on this exact topic in the long thread on the MPPK on this very page. Bottom line, no they aren't the same. The silencer that is currently available is an axle-back exhaust, so just a muffler really. Will probably give you some pops and burbles but that's about it. The M Performance Power & Sound kit will come with a cat-back exhaust (so includes a mid-pipe) along with a tune that is supposed to work with the exhaust to bump HP by 30 or so vs. the reported numbers. There are pics and diagram of all this that can be found by searching this board.
Thank for the info! This is exactly what I was looking for.
I will also look into the MPPK thread.

So probably be best if I just wait for the MPPK. The axle-back exhaust won't be compatible with the mppk? So it'll be like buying two exhausts?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

Yeah seems like the best bet is to wait if you plan to go MPPSK. No upgrade path from MPE -> MPPSK that I'm aware of, so you'd be buying two exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

My understanding is the pops come from the ECU retune, they dump a small amount of unburnt fuel into the system, thus creating a backfire of sorts. The new exhaust lets you her it better.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 03:54 AM   #6
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

wait for the MPPK. one day it will come, some day, some year, it will come.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #7
mikeleeyh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the inputs!

Yea, I will most likely wait for the MPPK. I hope my CA is right and I receive it by July.
Hoping for the best.
I will keep everyone posted!

Just throwing it out there, but any f30 340 owners try the beta JB4?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #8
mtx450
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I did the MPE but that's because I'm leasing and it was worth it financially. I enjoy it, although I do wish it was louder!

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #9
mikeleeyh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx450 View Post
I did the MPE but that's because I'm leasing and it was worth it financially. I enjoy it, although I do wish it was louder!

amazing! droooooools

Great sounding car! Makes me want to just get the MPE.
Compared to other MPE videos, your car burbles and pops nicely. Louder than expected! Sweet.

How many miles are on that exhaust?

That is the M Performance Silencer Exhaust? Confused why BMW would call it the silencer, right?

Thanks for the post!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 09:07 AM   #10
mtx450
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleeyh View Post
amazing! droooooools

Great sounding car! Makes me want to just get the MPE.
Compared to other MPE videos, your car burbles and pops nicely. Louder than expected! Sweet.

How many miles are on that exhaust?

That is the M Performance Silencer Exhaust? Confused why BMW would call it the silencer, right?

Thanks for the post!
Any muffler is technically called a "silencer". It's how the Germans roll.

Yeah, I have about 3k on the clock now. It seems to be as loud as it was when I first got the car. Others have reported it quieting down, but I didn't notice that.

I say if you are buying the car, hold out and wait for something better. Anything aftermarket will probably sound better and also be tons cheaper. If you are leasing, then it's hard to say. I'm doing some mods to my car, but all in the interest of selling those parts in 3 years when I give the car back. The MPE was installed at the port so it's residualized into the lease (I would never pay $1650 for an axle back!).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #11
mikeleeyh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx450 View Post
Any muffler is technically called a "silencer". It's how the Germans roll.

Yeah, I have about 3k on the clock now. It seems to be as loud as it was when I first got the car. Others have reported it quieting down, but I didn't notice that.

I say if you are buying the car, hold out and wait for something better. Anything aftermarket will probably sound better and also be tons cheaper. If you are leasing, then it's hard to say. I'm doing some mods to my car, but all in the interest of selling those parts in 3 years when I give the car back. The MPE was installed at the port so it's residualized into the lease (I would never pay $1650 for an axle back!).
That makes sense. Mufflers are essentially the silencer of the car. Thanks for the heads up. Haha!

Your MPE def sounds like it was properly broken in. Other 340 drivers with the MPE didn’t sound as nice or loud, but could’ve been due to poor video quality.
I did finance my car so I’ll hold off for the MPPK. I am hoping for it to be available near my area in July.

I’ve thought about going aftermarket but I might just stick with MPPK so I don’t void my warranty for whatever reason.
You guys think a DP with the MPPK be obnoxiously loud?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #12
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Quote:
That makes sense. Mufflers are essentially the silencer of the car. Thanks for the heads up. Haha!

Your MPE def sounds like it was properly broken in. Other 340 drivers with the MPE didn’t sound as nice or loud, but could’ve been due to poor video quality.
I did finance my car so I’ll hold off for the MPPK. I am hoping for it to be available near my area in July.

I’ve thought about going aftermarket but I might just stick with MPPK so I don’t void my warranty for whatever reason.
You guys think a DP with the MPPK be obnoxiously loud?
DP... get it. You won't regret it one bit!!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #13
mikeleeyh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550i Beast View Post
DP... get it. You won't regret it one bit!!
Eventually will get a dp

Are the 340 CP plastic too? I'll confirm when I get home.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #14
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Eventually will get a dp

Are the 340 CP plastic too? I'll confirm when I get home.
Plastic and flimsy. Get a real one...trust me!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 08:15 PM   #15
soultraveler00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Bmw M5

Quote:
Plastic and flimsy. Get a real one...trust me!
Is there any aftermarket one available for the b58?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 12:11 AM   #16
mikeleeyh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultraveler00 View Post
+1, yeaaa is there?

Come on MPPK come to NA!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 04:41 AM   #17
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultraveler00 View Post
http://www.n54tuning.com/evolution-r...downpipes.html

Mike, one of our premier sponsors, will hook you up!
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #18
mikeleeyh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
http://www.n54tuning.com/evolution-r...downpipes.html

Mike, one of our premier sponsors, will hook you up!
Thanks for the info!
Is the CP installation on the f30 difficult? I imagine it to only be a few clamps and screws?

I am very tempted in just settling with the MPE (silencer) and a DP. Maybe skip out on the MPPK?

What are you thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 09:01 AM   #19
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info!
Is the CP installation on the f30 difficult? I imagine it to only be a few clamps and screws?

I am very tempted in just settling with the MPE (silencer) and a DP. Maybe skip out on the MPPK?

What are you thoughts?
I leave all installations to the PROS. I think you can get more bang for the buck by skiping the MPPK but just keep in your mind your warranty. Dealership will have a problem with aftermarket parts/alters. Buyer beware I suppose.

I just brought mine in for some idling issues and they attributed it to the JB4 piggyback tune I have...plus my Intake, IC, oil catch can ,etc. They ran some tests w/o JB4 unplugged and it appeared to run smoother. No leaks on my intake either so... You do have a brand new car so might want to rethink this whole aftermarket stuff unless it's BMW approved or the Dinan route. My 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 10:36 AM   #20
mikeleeyh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I leave all installations to the PROS. I think you can get more bang for the buck by skiping the MPPK but just keep in your mind your warranty. Dealership will have a problem with aftermarket parts/alters. Buyer beware I suppose.

I just brought mine in for some idling issues and they attributed it to the JB4 piggyback tune I have...plus my Intake, IC, oil catch can ,etc. They ran some tests w/o JB4 unplugged and it appeared to run smoother. No leaks on my intake either so... You do have a brand new car so might want to rethink this whole aftermarket stuff unless it's BMW approved or the Dinan route. My 2 cents...
That's very insightful, thanks!
The only aftermarket part I am considering is the DP, for now. But that can wait. I suppose I'll enjoy the essence of the stock car for now.

I will wait until July to mid-July and see whether or not the MPPK is available here. My CA advises it will be, but they've been saying that for quite some time. Plus a few others have posted that it'll be available starting July? So let's keep our fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, if it isn't available, I think I am going to go the MPE route. Stock exhaust is just too quiet and mundane. Unless I gun it everywhere which is doable.

Thanks mtx450, for posting the video of your MPE. Can others post their MPE on their 340? I want to hear more!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #21
mikeleeyh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Just confirming, Dinan is covered by BMW warranty?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #22
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just confirming, Dinan is covered by BMW warranty?

Thanks,
Yes it is.
Appreciate 0