THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums CANADA Need advice on paint protection film

06-14-2016, 11:25 PM   #1
Voxis
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

Question Need advice on paint protection film

Hi ,
I just ordered my M240i xDrive! This is my first BMW Cant wait!

I do have questions regarding paint protection films because of the salt and small rocks on the road during the winter in Alberta.

What would be the price range of a full body film you have/heard? The dealer wanted to take 2 grand for full body
Is XPEL highly recommended compared to Scotchgard PRO ?

And where can I purchase (online) for good quality BMW parts such as Black kidney Grill and body color mirror cap?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
artinz
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: m235i

$2k is a steal if the dealer is going to do full body, but I don't trust they do a good job or if the film they use is good quality, however, it's just my personal opinion.

I took mine to Advanced Automotive Films in Mississauga (also partnered with GTA in Detail). They do a phenominal, clean job and use highest quality film, however it will cost you way more than $2k for full body. You can contact them to get a quote.

I paid more than $2k just for a full front end protection. They're on Instagram, fb, etc and well known and do a lot of high-end vehicles.
Appreciate 1
Voxis10.00
      07-13-2016, 11:44 PM   #3
Voxis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinz View Post
$2k is a steal if the dealer is going to do full body, but I don't trust they do a good job or if the film they use is good quality, however, it's just my personal opinion.

I took mine to Advanced Automotive Films in Mississauga (also partnered with GTA in Detail). They do a phenominal, clean job and use highest quality film, however it will cost you way more than $2k for full body. You can contact them to get a quote.

I paid more than $2k just for a full front end protection. They're on Instagram, fb, etc and well known and do a lot of high-end vehicles.
Thanks man, I would love to check out your recommended store but I live in the west... Do you think front + full hood + mirror is enough?
Appreciate 1
emac5.00
      07-14-2016, 07:11 AM   #4
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

I thought they don't use salt in Alberta.

If the dealer really is offering to do the entire car for 2 grand, take it! Provided they actually are using good film like xpel or suntek. Not sure about the 3M stuff - haven't read much about it. I don't think you need to worry about a bad job since you can just take it back and have them re-do any bad areas (it is under warranty right?).

I'm not sure how much driving you do, but the full front, full hood and mirror would be good for most places. However, for AB roads, especially in the winter, it would be a good idea to perhaps do the skirts and rear bumper too.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

There is a ton of debate on films. Do a Google search. I too am picking up my first 2 in a few weeks so I'm looking at the same issue. But instead of covering the whole car I'm only covering parts most frequently chipped or scratched (bumper, hood, door handle)

If you're planning to keep the car a long time or can't stand scratches a full wrap is for you. But if you're thinking exclusively resale, in my opinion, there are other items you can spend your money on. Suggestion? Instead of full go partial paint coverage and add an extended warranty. Not to get off topic (I too am looking at feedback) on resale you get 1) dinged on price 2) dinged on mileage 3) dinged on accidents. An extended warranty makes your used car stand out.

On films, its tough to decide. Each installer will sing the praises of their go-to film. Xpel Ultimate is quite good but I've heard great things about scotchgard pro. VentureShield still gets thumbs up and is cheaper than both Xpel and 3M, although the two more expensive films are self healing. I've been told most films need a re-wrap after 5 years so I wonder if paying more for Xpel is worth the premium. Why not ask a few detailer shops in town for a quote and ask if you can see a car with film applied. I was crazy for scotchgard pro but after seeing venturesheild I'm thinking it might be just as good.
Appreciate 2
Voxis10.00
jpnh1423.50
      07-31-2016, 11:43 PM   #6
qJai
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport Prem RWD MT

Garage List
2017 228i  [0.00]
im gonna do glass coating. not sure how i feel about the film.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #7
Voxis
Rep

Hey guys , thanks for your inputs and here is an update.

My M240i has arrived, so its kinda pushy for me to choose a paint protection film set.

What I end up getting is a package with full hood, full fender, bumper, mirror, roof and a-pillar + door sills at around 1450.

I am not really sure if this is a good deal or not, but it is 3M Pro series with 10 years warranty.

Just thrown it out for you or anyone for reference.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxis View Post

My M240i has arrived, so its kinda pushy for me to choose a paint protection film set.

What I end up getting is a package with full hood, full fender, bumper, mirror, roof and a-pillar + door sills at around 1450.

I am not really sure if this is a good deal or not, but it is 3M Pro series with 10 years warranty.

Wow, good deal. I did my son's M235 with 3M Pro covering the lights, full bumper, full hood, full fenders, A Pillars, luggage area and he wrapped the mirrors in black and than clear wrapped them. I was about $2K which I was told is a hell of a deal. Anyway, I did my wife's X5 M Sport first which was full bumper, lights, mirrors and "partial" hood and fenders. If I could do that one over I'd do the full hood and fenders.

Never thought about doing the door sills. I think I'll look into that.

Last edited by X54TH; 10-02-2016 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #9
Mclrbra
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxis View Post

Incredible deal you got and 3M Pro is 7 years, Xpel Ultimate is 10 years. How did it turn out for you?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 09:23 PM   #10
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 230ix

Looking for a recommendation in Vancouver bc.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 09:43 PM   #11
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
mcirbra is your guy. PM him. He is the best.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 01:36 AM   #12
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep

Where are the deals in Vancouver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
Wow, good deal. I did my son's M235 with 3M Pro covering the lights, full bumper, full hood, full fenders, A Pillars, luggage area and he wrapped the mirrors in black and than clear wrapped them. I was about $2K which I was told is a hell of a deal. Anyway, I did my wife's X5 M Sport first which was full bumper, lights, mirrors and "partial" hood and fenders. If I could do that one over I'd do the full hood and fenders.

I just got quoted Cdn $2750 for full hood, rockers and extra 400/2 doors or 5500 for the whole car. is the price difference due to expertise or just the cost of living in Vancouver?!

Last edited by Gabbykat; 04-02-2017 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Spelling and price for door
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 06:32 AM   #13
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post

I just got quoted Cdn $2750 for full hood, rockets and extra 400/ door or 5500 for the whole car. is the price difference due to expertise or just the cost of living in Vancouver?!
I know I was about $2200 cash for the full front bumper, full hood, full fenders, front headlights, and partial rear bumper. Supposedly it was done in 3M Pro. The car is Alpine White. It has started to yellow and it's not a year old. My tip to you is make sure the installer is credible and make sure you get a certificate saying what was used. You can imagine the nightmare I now face having to go to 3M.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #14
samej
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F22 M240i xDrive MG

Any recommendations in Ottawa for a film installer?
2007 335i Premium
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #15
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
I just got quoted Cdn $2750 for full hood, rockets and extra 400/ door or 5500 for the whole car. is the price difference due to expertise or just the cost of living in Vancouver?!
I'm getting a quote for 3M and tinting for my M240i picking up tomorrow!) from NMotion in Burnaby, FWIW. Their pricing is all online.

I used to live in Calgary, and previous vehicle had bumper, partial hood, partial fenders and side mirrors. I took a hit from a small bit of gravel on one side mirror hard enough to puncture the 3M. Had that one done at the dealership, because my rule was "it doesn't leave the lot without protection" because gravel season is half the year. Considering OP is still in gravel season, I recommend the same. The number of idiots in pickup trucks without proper mudflaps means gravel spray all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #16
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilalien View Post
I'm getting a quote for 3M and tinting for my M240i picking up tomorrow!) from NMotion in Burnaby, FWIW. Their pricing is all online.

I used to live in Calgary, and previous vehicle had bumper, partial hood, partial fenders and side mirrors. I took a hit from a small bit of gravel on one side mirror hard enough to puncture the 3M. Had that one done at the dealership, because my rule was "it doesn't leave the lot without protection" because gravel season is half the year. Considering OP is still in gravel season, I recommend the same. The number of idiots in pickup trucks without proper mudflaps means gravel spray all the time.
Have you used NMotion before? Xpel is 10 years and 2 of the 3 installers offer lifetime on TOP of that. I'm also considering PH Solar because they do window tinting as well. Waiting for a quote from them.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #17
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Have you used NMotion before? Xpel is 10 years and 2 of the 3 installers offer lifetime on TOP of that. I'm also considering PH Solar because they do window tinting as well. Waiting for a quote from them.
No, I haven't used NMotion, nor Xpel film. Previous cars have been new in Calgary, and did that through the dealership and they used 3M both times. Last new car was purchased on 2011.

Please let me know what you find for this, I'd be interested in the comparison. I'm only getting quotes at this stage, nothing booked.

Anyone else have recommendations in lower mainland BC?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #18
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep

Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilalien View Post
No, I haven't used NMotion, nor Xpel film. Previous cars have been new in Calgary, and did that through the dealership and they used 3M both times. Last new car was purchased on 2011.

Please let me know what you find for this, I'd be interested in the comparison. I'm only getting quotes at this stage, nothing booked.

Anyone else have recommendations in lower mainland BC?
I contacted Xpel and asked about the experience of the 3 listed authorised installers in Vancouver.

Protex, Vancouver clear bra, PH Solar all have comparable prices differing in $100-200. Around $2500 for full front, rockers, doors and luggage strip and $4800 for full coverage.

I went with Vancouver Clear Bra because the owner is able to do the install the same day I pick up my car and he took the time to explain everything to me. He also has a lifetime warranty.

I would have had to wait a couple of weeks with Protex and PH Solar can only do it on weekdays.

Last edited by Gabbykat; 04-18-2017 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
evilalien447.50
      04-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #19
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samej View Post
Any recommendations in Ottawa for a film installer?
I had mine done at Luxe Auto Lounge (Xpel full hood, bumper, mirror, partial fender, door cup). They did a pretty good job, but the film around the Rondel is lifting. Going back to have it fixed tomorrow. They were very quick in responding to emails. Full disclosure, the owner is an acquaintance of mind.

The other good shops around town is Shades (I believe they use Suntek film) and Getty's Auto (Xpel). I've heard mixed reviews about Goldwing
Appreciate 2
evilalien447.50
samej24.00
      04-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #20
samej
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I used to live in the east end and used Luxe when they first opened to detail my car. What price if you don't mind sharing? Comparable to Goldwing? Are they offering the full warranty?

What have you heard about Goldwing? They pop up as a certified XPEL dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
I had mine done at Luxe Auto Lounge (Xpel full hood, bumper, mirror, partial fender, door cup). They did a pretty good job, but the film around the Rondel is lifting. Going back to have it fixed tomorrow. They were very quick in responding to emails. Full disclosure, the owner is an acquaintance of mind.

The other good shops around town is Shades (I believe they use Suntek film) and Getty's Auto (Xpel). I've heard mixed reviews about Goldwing
2007 335i Premium
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #21
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samej View Post
I used to live in the east end and used Luxe when they first opened to detail my car. What price if you don't mind sharing? Comparable to Goldwing? Are they offering the full warranty?

What have you heard about Goldwing? They pop up as a certified XPEL dealer.
For full bumper, hood, partial fender, mirrors and door cup, I believe it was $1350 after tax. I didn't bother getting a quote from goldwing. Shades and Getty's were both more expensive. Luxe has the full warranty as well (10 year on film, and lifetime on labour).

It's been a while since I read/heard anything about goldwing, so the information I have may be outdated so I'd rather not comment about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #22
samej
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks Sypher -

I'll reach out to Luxe. Car was unloaded in Halifax on the 10th, nothing on Hansen yet. The nice weather this week has made me impatient!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
For full bumper, hood, partial fender, mirrors and door cup, I believe it was $1350 after tax. I didn't bother getting a quote from goldwing. Shades and Getty's were both more expensive. Luxe has the full warranty as well (10 year on film, and lifetime on labour).

It's been a while since I read/heard anything about goldwing, so the information I have may be outdated so I'd rather not comment about it.
2007 335i Premium
Appreciate 0