BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Steering

06-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
spiderman1982
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550x Drive

Steering

Do the adjustable settings allow you to adjust the steering from light to firm? There is no adjustment for the suspension. Is that correct? If the steering can be adjusted, then how much of a difference does it make?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #2
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman1982 View Post
Do the adjustable settings allow you to adjust the steering from light to firm? There is no adjustment for the suspension. Is that correct? If the steering can be adjusted, then how much of a difference does it make?
Comfort is light steering and Sport/Sport+ have firm steering. You cannot adjust the steering individually, only by pressing the sport/comfort button on the middle console which is tied to other things like chassis, throttle response, MDM, etc...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
saint3448
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Sunset Orange M2C

Nothing about the chassis is changed. It's Steering, Throttle, and MDM I believe.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Is the M2's comfort steering as loose as it is on the M235i? If so, is there a way to code firm steering for comfort mode?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Is the M2's comfort steering as loose as it is on the M235i? If so, is there a way to code firm steering for comfort mode?
I don't know the answer to your question regarding coding, but I can't imagine why you'd want to drive an M2 in comfort mode. There's no change to the suspension so there's no ride "comfort" difference. The steering and throttle response of sport are worth it to use the mode 100% of the time. If you go DCT, the changes to the shift program are stunning and addictive.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 08:22 PM   #6
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
It's very noticeable when you go to sport mode. It all depends on what you're used to though. I had a 228 loaner and the steering felt way worse than the M2. Some of that could be the tires though. It also seemed to break loose easier than mine.

Did you see the one at Kuni yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #7
spiderman1982
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550x Drive

I saw the black one at Kuni in Portland. Beautiful in black, but my order that I placed was in LBB. Delivery in October.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #8
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantalias View Post
I don't know the answer to your question regarding coding, but I can't imagine why you'd want to drive an M2 in comfort mode. There's no change to the suspension so there's no ride "comfort" difference. The steering and throttle response of sport are worth it to use the mode 100% of the time. If you go DCT, the changes to the shift program are stunning and addictive.
I want the firm steering and suspension in all modes all of the time. But want comfort mode so that I can drive sometimes when not needing the extra downshift/throttle response like for highway cruising at constant speed. Comfort mode also allows control of exhaust, which would be a secondary use, like in a residential garage. Maybe there's another way?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 07:53 PM   #9
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I want the firm steering and suspension in all modes all of the time. But want comfort mode so that I can drive sometimes when not needing the extra downshift/throttle response like for highway cruising at constant speed. Comfort mode also allows control of exhaust, which would be a secondary use, like in a residential garage. Maybe there's another way?
I see. I have my exhaust valve bypassed open and ASD physically bypassed so there's no sound difference from comfort to sport. Thus, sport 100% of the time for steering, throttle and shifts. Even out on the highway I prefer sport shifts for quick passing. Comfort is just too lethargic if you want predictable performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #10
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Understood, but as far as I can tell sport mode disables 7th gear which is desirable on longer trips and where passing is not necessary. I put a lot of miles on my cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 04:34 AM   #11
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Understood, but as far as I can tell sport mode disables 7th gear which is desirable on longer trips and where passing is not necessary. I put a lot of miles on my cars.
Wow really - didnt know that
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 07:48 AM   #12
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal
Quote:
I'd assume you could manually change up though with a flick of the paddle.
      06-20-2016, 08:27 AM   #13
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Why do you want the firm steering so badly? It's electrical and the feedback will actually be worse if it's too firm.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #14
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
I saw the black one at Kuni in Portland. Beautiful in black, but my order that I placed was in LBB. Delivery in October.
Do you have a production number already?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #15
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal View Post
Quote:
You are correct. You can always override it manually.

"Sport" programing follows BMW's typical methdololgy, which basically says "Let's not even make a pretense about fuel economy. And that includes use of the most economical gear."

The same holds true if you use the "sport" programming on one of the traditional manuals (e.g. the ZF 8-speed).
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #16
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you can do it by switching to manual mode, then flicking paddle.
But now you have to remain in manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 04:45 PM   #17
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster
Quote:
Yes, you can do it by switching to manual mode, then flicking paddle.
But now you have to remain in manual mode.
Yes same as ZF8 when I'm sport on the box. At least it gets into top whilst keeping the sound and throttle in Sport.
      06-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #18
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Why do you want the firm steering so badly? It's electrical and the feedback will actually be worse if it's too firm.
Not sure how it works on the M2, but on the M235i, the comfort steering feel is not good compared to sport. There is too much play. On the F30, comfort steering feel is about the same as M235i sport. So apparently BMW is playing around with relative feedback on different models.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #19
LinkF1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' MG F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvdh View Post
You are correct. You can always override it manually.

"Sport" programing follows BMW's typical methdololgy, which basically says "Let's not even make a pretense about fuel economy. And that includes use of the most economical gear."

The same holds true if you use the "sport" programming on one of the traditional manuals (e.g. the ZF 8-speed).
This is not correct for SPORT, it may be correct for SPORT+. I tested sport on my commute home today. It changed up to 7th at ~58 MPH, and back down to 6th at ~50MPH. I didn't get a chance to mess with SPORT+.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #20
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Not sure how it works on the M2, but on the M235i, the comfort steering feel is not good compared to sport. There is too much play. On the F30, comfort steering feel is about the same as M235i sport. So apparently BMW is playing around with relative feedback on different models.
Try not to confuse steering feel with steering effort.
The effort might be too light in comfort mode, especially if you are used to BMW hydraulic power assist.
The steering feel is equally absent in both comfort and sport modes. At least on m235. Haven't tried latest f30.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #21
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
Try not to confuse steering feel with steering effort.
The effort might be too light in comfort mode, especially if you are used to BMW hydraulic power assist.
Yes, the comfort effort is lighter. I dislike this and it is actually much lighter than my F30 in comfort. It could partially be due to running 18's on M235i and 19's on F30? But in addition, it feels too loose as if there is more play before steering turn translates to tire turn. This is annoying at low speed and although somewhat more firm, disconcerting at higher speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
The steering feel is equally absent in both comfort and sport modes. At least on m235. Haven't tried latest f30.
Yes the tire-to-road feedback is not there for '13 F30 335i and now the '16 M235i. It was there on my '07 e90 335i and '95 e34 540i.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #22
LinkF1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' MG F87 M2

Quote:
Yes, the comfort effort is lighter. I dislike this and it is actually much lighter than my F30 in comfort. It could partially be due to running 18's on M235i and 19's on F30? But in addition, it feels too loose as if there is more play before steering turn translates to tire turn. This is annoying at low speed and although somewhat more firm, disconcerting at higher speed.

Yes the tire-to-road feedback is not there for '13 F30 335i and now the '16 M235i. It was there on my '07 e90 335i and '95 e34 540i.
On the M2, the artifical lightness and deadzone is gone, even in comfort mode. It is amazing how much feedback you get from the car considering it is EPS.
Appreciate 1