E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Electrical issues, multiple codes

06-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
89mustaine
Stuff and Things
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 535i Sport W/SAT MHD

Electrical issues, multiple codes

Iv'e got some mystery issues. Today my car stranded me, I started the car up and a few seconds after start up the A/C turned off, I got multiple error messages, steering, transmission, coolant temp, air bag, engine management, and more all one after another, all the lights on the console went out, the light on the shifter went out (P,R,N,etc.) I couldn't turn the A/C back on and I couldn't put the car in gear, windows would not work most electronics would not work. On the dash the car was cycling through the multiple warnings. It was idling fine, I hooked up Carly and saw that alternator was charging, coolant was circulating, temps were under control but basically everything with a sensor was totally upset. Shutting the car off and starting again produced the same result. Today was very hot so that may have been a factor but this shouldn't happen.

I've been chasing a vacuum/boost leak for a while but I cant imagine that caused this, about a month ago I got a "high battery drain" warning but no symptoms and it hasn't come back. Any insight is appreciated I just need help brainstorming.

Car is E60 535i AT W/MHD stg 0 currently, DCI and Muffler delete.

I know this is E90 but this forum is more active and I believe the issues are somewhat overlapping
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 08:49 PM   #2
89mustaine
Stuff and Things
United_States
Rep

Codes that I got include
2deb power management, vehicle wiring system control
Cda1 message (steering wheel angle)
Cd95 message (operation cruise control/acc active cruise control
2e82 electrical cooling pump: switch off
2de5 fuel level sensor right :signal
2de4 fuel level sensor left :signal

Also a shadow code
2dc5 torque requirement via CAN controller area network plausibility
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #3
89mustaine
Stuff and Things
United_States
Rep

Bump..

New information, most likely this is an alternator issue. It was charging at anywhere from 15 to 18v and the computers were all still upset. Some kind of safe mode I suppose. The only reason it's taking so long is because all the local indy shops are so busy with 4th of july weekend they blew me off. I'd do the alternator swap myself but it wont be covered under 3rd party warranty if I do the work.

I pulled the battery and charged it for a full day (charger goes into "full/maintenance" mode) when I put it back into the car it was dead flat no lights no nothing. So I replaced the battery. Just got it into the shop today and he confirmed the alternator is over charging. So that'll get replaced asap but he seems to think there may be an issue with the ECM telling the alternator to charge that high for some reason. Does this make any sense? He asked if my flashing the car would have anything to do with that issue.

I didn't get specific codes from him but he said the two were a charging issue code, and one saying no communication with the ECM (paraphrasing what he said)

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #4
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

There's a screen in INPA that allows you to set the charge amount and test it. Only thing I can think of related to alternator
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #5
89mustaine
Stuff and Things
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsbma View Post
There's a screen in INPA that allows you to set the charge amount and test it. Only thing I can think of related to alternator
well that would be super helpful, I'm not positive the Indy I took it to would have tried that. He just said it was charging at 18v, and that if the ECM wasn't communicating with it, the alternator should default to 14ish so it must be bad.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89mustaine
Quote:
well that would be super helpful, I'm not positive the Indy I took it to would have tried that. He just said it was charging at 18v, and that if the ECM wasn't communicating with it, the alternator should default to 14ish so it must be bad.
Well, if I recall there were 3 or 4 values. 10v 12v 14v 16v but I'm not 100% so don't quote me. You choose and then the computer tells you actual. Check real oem and see if there's a separate voltage regulator maybe?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
89mustaine
Stuff and Things
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, if I recall there were 3 or 4 values. 10v 12v 14v 16v but I'm not 100% so don't quote me. You choose and then the computer tells you actual. Check real oem and see if there's a separate voltage regulator maybe?
There is a voltage regulator attached to the alternator which was $273 and the entire alternator with regulator is $400ish. We're going to change the whole thing and go from there. The car has 112k on it so I'm sure the alternator is tired in one way or another. I'll check with my Indy and see if he's tried to manipulate the value requested though.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 06:06 PM   #8
Willsbma
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89mustaine
Quote:
There is a voltage regulator attached to the alternator which was $273 and the entire alternator with regulator is $400ish. We're going to change the whole thing and go from there. The car has 112k on it so I'm sure the alternator is tired in one way or another. I'll check with my Indy and see if he's tried to manipulate the value requested though.
I would do the same if in your position. Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 1