E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cautionary tale - parking valet

07-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Cautionary tale - parking valet

This weekend (while visiting NYC - this happened on Coney Island), due to lack of parking I parked the car in one of the garages that uses valets. I rather risk getting a ding or a scratch on the street than give my car to a valet, but when there are no other options...

I pull up and there was one guy in the "office". I asked him if he could drive a manual, to which he replied that he can. I get the ticket, and leave the car with him.

Two hours later, I show up to pick up my car. From the entrance, I see the car parked up front by his office. Didn't think much of it. As enter the garage, I smell a burnt breaks smell. I figured someone who parked in there dragged their brakes. Get in the car, car reeks of the same smell (window was open, so no surprise). As i pull away in 1st, i feel the car jerk (jolt) when releasing the clutch. I just figured, oh well, I just dropped the clutch too soon or something.

Start driving, but the smell now starts getting worse - window is still open. I stop at the stop sign and after as I start moving, I feel the same jolt. Pull over, try start moving several other times and I get the same feel - clutch grabs, then as I release the pedal, it slips and then it grabs again. At this point, the car just reeked of burnt smell - the smell was coming from my car. I pop the hood and whole damn engine bay just reeks of burnt smell (it was burnt clutch smell).

At that point, I was pissed. Drove back to the garage and confronted the attendant who drove the car. His only excuse was that "I good driver". He just kept repeating it. I asked him, get in the car and show me how you can drive a stick - figured i would tape his struggles as evidence. Guy refused to get in the car. I called the management office, and got voicemail - pointless.

Called the police, they said that since there is no exterior damage and since it happened at the private property, there is nothing they can do.

I finally got fed up and left since arguing with the attendant was pointless.

Luckily, it seems like after the clutch cooled off, the jolt disappeared. The clutch is not slipping. Since the incident I drove about 400 miles (around NYC and back to DC) and didn't experience any more issues - thank God.

I am still pissed off about everything thou.

TL;DR: Left the car with attendant who burnt the clutch. If you can, don't let valets drive your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

We all know this. Honestly, you should have too.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #3
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
This weekend (while visiting NYC - this happened on Coney Island), due to lack of parking I parked the car in one of the garages that uses valets. I rather risk getting a ding or a scratch on the street than give my car to a valet, but when there are no other options...

I pull up and there was one guy in the "office". I asked him if he could drive a manual, to which he replied that he can. I get the ticket, and leave the car with him.

Two hours later, I show up to pick up my car. From the entrance, I see the car parked up front by his office. Didn't think much of it. As enter the garage, I smell a burnt breaks smell. I figured someone who parked in there dragged their brakes. Get in the car, car reeks of the same smell (window was open, so no surprise). As i pull away in 1st, i feel the car jerk (jolt) when releasing the clutch. I just figured, oh well, I just dropped the clutch too soon or something.

Start driving, but the smell now starts getting worse - window is still open. I stop at the stop sign and after as I start moving, I feel the same jolt. Pull over, try start moving several other times and I get the same feel - clutch grabs, then as I release the pedal, it slips and then it grabs again. At this point, the car just reeked of burnt smell - the smell was coming from my car. I pop the hood and whole damn engine bay just reeks of burnt smell (it was burnt clutch smell).

At that point, I was pissed. Drove back to the garage and confronted the attendant who drove the car. His only excuse was that "I good driver". He just kept repeating it. I asked him, get in the car and show me how you can drive a stick - figured i would tape his struggles as evidence. Guy refused to get in the car. I called the management office, and got voicemail - pointless.

Called the police, they said that since there is no exterior damage and since it happened at the private property, there is nothing they can do.

I finally got fed up and left since arguing with the attendant was pointless.

Luckily, it seems like after the clutch cooled off, the jolt disappeared. The clutch is not slipping. Since the incident I drove about 400 miles (around NYC and back to DC) and didn't experience any more issues - thank God.

I am still pissed off about everything thou.

TL;DR: Left the car with attendant who burnt the clutch. If you can, don't let valets drive your car.
Yeah, there are exactly five people at the dealership who can drive my car and no one else will even try anymore. If I can't drive it anywhere else, it doesn't get driven. And if I can't park it myself I figure I don't need to be there. For exactly the reason you've experienced. There's no way to get damage like that taken care of with loser valet operations and for some odd reason ya can't just shoot 'em...
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 09:49 PM   #4
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I would walk 5 miles before a valet would touch my car!
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #5
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I don't let passengers open and close doors on my car unless I'm parking at the far end spot of the parking lot idk how you decided it was ok to let a valet ok to drive your car :| but I understand, no other options, mistakes happen. Next time ask them to tell you where to park and you will park it for them and they can sit in the car if they want.
      07-05-2016, 03:19 AM   #6
PureE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Damn my blood is boiling just reading that. Props on keeping your cool.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:26 AM   #7
Bob Shiftright
Save The Manuals!
Rep
Drives: E91 Schleppwagen

A service adviser at the BMW dealer couldn't drive my car.
2008 E91 36K, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Lidatek, remote V-1, Cocomats, beach sand, $10 clutch stop mod. 1998 Volvo V70T5 226K, 5-speed, original clutch (third clutch pedal!), aspheric driver's mirror, E-code headlights, IPD sway bar, strut tower brace & skidplate.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #8
SC04OCT
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 325d M Sport (2013)

Always lol at how inept Americans are at driving manuals. It's standard here in the UK.
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2016, 07:51 AM   #9
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Honestly, in NYC, I just assumed all valets know how to drive a stick (bad assumption I guess). I mean, have you seen how closely they are able to position vehicles in a garage, doors can't even be opened and mirrors are folded...

Still, I dunno, if that happened to me, what happens if 8k or 20k miles down the road, the clutch fails? The burning is not nothing, I've never smelled anything like that on any of my cars....

Is it gonna be a he said she said (which is why we all need dash cams)....if OP simply says you buy me a new clutch, end of story...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #10
piker28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Honestly, in NYC, I just assumed all valets know how to drive a stick (bad assumption I guess). I mean, have you seen how closely they are able to position vehicles in a garage, doors can't even be opened and mirrors are folded...

Still, I dunno, if that happened to me, what happens if 8k or 20k miles down the road, the clutch fails? The burning is not nothing, I've never smelled anything like that on any of my cars....

Is it gonna be a he said she said (which is why we all need dash cams)....if OP simply says you buy me a new clutch, end of story...
And who would be buying it? The management company? Think again. I smoked a clutch at my old dealer "6speed knob on a 5 speed". The car lost life on the clutch but its not the end of the world. That is what you call a life lesson.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piker28 View Post
And who would be buying it? The management company? Think again. I smoked a clutch at my old dealer "6speed knob on a 5 speed". The car lost life on the clutch but its not the end of the world. That is what you call a life lesson.
Put it this way, if I were the OP, I'm not just walking away and leaving it at that. Whether they're gonna come clean, or not. The way I see it is if it happened to you, you may look at it differently. But you're a disinterested 3rd party, so it's a "life's lesson." Someone else's life, lesson, and clutch.

A clutch is a touchy subject, even mfgs. generally do not cover failures, esp. to the friction material, so it's an uphill battle. But when someone does something they shouldn't, I may, or may not, let it go.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #12
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

That blows. I used to work with a valet company with a couple of friends. Most of these folks could drive stick but a handful go slip-city. I don't valet my car.
      07-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #13
unrealii
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 335 E93 6MT

Garage List
Similar thing happened to me which the valet burned my clutch.

I decided to review the dash cam footage thinking they were abusing the car, but it turned out they couldn't drive. While reviewing the footage, I caught one of their attendants entering my car TWICE without starting nor moving it...I sent that video in and got him fired.
Convertible | Manual | M-Sport | MHD Stage 1 + FMIC | 335is Clutch | ER CP | RB Inlets | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | M3 F/R Control Arms | KW V3 | Hawk HPS Pads | Stoptech Slotted Rotors | Blackvue DR650-2CH Dash Cam | LCI Taillights
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #14
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

That's awful. I'm glad your car is okay. The only thing I would have done differently-- if he said "I can drive manual," I would have said "show me."
      07-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #15
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
We all know this. Honestly, you should have too.
Trust me I am well aware of it - as you can see by the first paragraph. However, for some reason, I figured what could happen if I do it just this one time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
Yeah, there are exactly five people at the dealership who can drive my car and no one else will even try anymore. If I can't drive it anywhere else, it doesn't get driven. And if I can't park it myself I figure I don't need to be there. For exactly the reason you've experienced. There's no way to get damage like that taken care of with loser valet operations and for some odd reason ya can't just shoot 'em...
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRWD View Post
I don't let passengers open and close doors on my car unless I'm parking at the far end spot of the parking lot idk how you decided it was ok to let a valet ok to drive your car :| but I understand, no other options, mistakes happen. Next time ask them to tell you where to park and you will park it for them and they can sit in the car if they want.
That is a good suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureE92 View Post
Damn my blood is boiling just reading that. Props on keeping your cool.
It took all I had to keep it cool. I counted to 30 since 10 was not enough.

Quote:

My assumption exactly. It's mofo NY. How could you not drive a stick. But then again, all it takes is one. I have been eyeing a dashcam for a while now. DO you have any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piker28 View Post
I learned my lessons with a tow truck companies. Arguing some things is not worth it. Especially when it comes to mechanical breakdowns. There is a parking lot across the street from me now with a very aggressive tow company monitoring it. God knows how many times have I seen them tow a 4x4, FWD, or RWD car by wrong end - just dragging them. It breaks my heart.

Quote:
Put it this way, if I were the OP, I'm not just walking away and leaving it at that. Whether they're gonna come clean, or not. The way I see it is if it happened to you, you may look at it differently. But you're a disinterested 3rd party, so it's a "life's lesson." Someone else's life, lesson, and clutch.

A clutch is a touchy subject, even mfgs. generally do not cover failures, esp. to the friction material, so it's an uphill battle. But when someone does something they shouldn't, I may, or may not, let it go.
Other than taking the clutch apart, there is no real way to argue the point - and just taking it off (if not DIY) you are looking at about $1500. If the clutch fails in next 10k, sure I can make the point. BUT, if it lasts until 100k, then there is no point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i View Post
That's awful. I'm glad your car is okay. The only thing I would have done differently-- if he said "I can drive manual," I would have said "show me."
Thank you. I am glad it's ok too. I tried to get him to show me how he can drive the car - and tape it. He refused.

It was devastating thinking how someone hurt my baby. I even considered driving it to camrax and trading it in, rather then being reminded how an incompetent person ruined my car. If I messed it up, fine. But someone else... hell no!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #16
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

Bueller...Bueller...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:14 PM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
Bueller...Bueller...
Wayne Carini was grinding the gears on a 1921 Stutz Bear Cat....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #18
Speed_Addict
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 335i Coupe

Worked valet when I was in college for a company that parked for many big name restaurants and venues - I won't ever go near a valet stand with my car. Seen it all. Other valets performing the "Indoor Speed Test", taking the "long way" back to the lot, standing in front of damage they caused while clients got in their cars and drove away only to find the damage later and not have a legal leg to stand on to get a repair, rifling through the glove box or ash tray for extra coinage... etc. (even knew a valet who found some guys half smoked joint in his ash tray and sat in his car and finished it for him - funny part was the client and the "stoned" valet got in a shouting match in front of the restaurant over it in front of quite a crowd). Personally, never did any of that - my father taught me a respect of other's property that is pretty close to absent these days. I will always park my own car and if I can't (and nothing else is convenient) the establishment can pretty much forget my business. A few valets are great but, many are not - I just don't want to take the chance. Personally I would rather pay more for self park and maybe not park at the most convenient location rather than deal with this kind of BS.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 11:51 PM   #19
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

have the exact same story from the standard hotel in downtown la. forced to valet, was my first and last valet experience
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #20
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

I good driver I good driver
      07-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #21
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

Friend turned his keys over to a valet at a bar downtown. Came out later and couldn't find the valet guys. Asked the management and it turns out they didn't have valet.

With a couple of orange cones and a vest, you too could be driving a new BMW.
      07-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #22
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGEE View Post
Friend turned his keys over to a valet at a bar downtown. Came out later and couldn't find the valet guys. Asked the management and it turns out they didn't have valet.

With a couple of orange cones and a vest, you too could be driving a new BMW.
That happened to me too. We went to this place near the water, and this valet comes over wearing an orange vest, takes the car. Once we're inside, my wife goes why would valets have orange vests with DOC on them?
Appreciate 0