F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Car hit and run. Insurance/repair question?
Studio RSR

07-05-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
NYM1
Rep
Drives: F30 335

Car hit and run. Insurance/repair question?

Hi all,

My car was involved in a hit and run on Friday of last week (please see pic attached). I got off of work and found my car like this near the train station.

1. Based on the picture, does it seem like the repair will be expensive? I will be using insurance for the repairs.

2. If my front bumper needs to be replaced (which I don't think it will?), can I swap my front sport bumper to the M-sport? How would this work with insurance?

I really want to switch my front sport bumper to the M-sport bumper. I think now would be the perfect time to swap it out.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #2
funkadesi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport

Based on the picture, here's what I see:

1. Small dent on the fender: - This will most likely replaced by the insurance when they look at your car.
2. Bumper: looks mostly scratched with paint missing. if it's not cracked or dented, it will be repainted. I noticed you have the cameras/sensors. Are they still working? if not, then bumper will have to be replaced along with sensors and cameras.

You can tell the adjuster that you wish to get the car fixed on your own. They will cut you a check with their estimate system. What you have to do is 2 things:

1. Find a M-sport bumper and pay for it using the insurance check money.
2. Find a repair shop that will do all the work for you including the labor that will come from the check. (or shell out additional $$ from your pocket).

Best bet is it get the best price on m-sport bumper and talk to the body shop that is willing to do it before approaching the insurance.

Good luck and sorry for your loss.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

I would be really weary about having insurance cut you a check and then walking away. With these types of things, I'd rather have insurance deal with the shop that I choose, in the event there are additional issues discovered down the road that related to the accident (or during repair).

If you price out the bumpers between the one you have now and M-sport, is there any difference in cost? I would almost doubt it's material, if one exists, since you're having to replace the bumper either way (looks pretty banged up too me, as do the sensors)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
AMDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428iX Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post
I would be really weary about having insurance cut you a check and then walking away. With these types of things, I'd rather have insurance deal with the shop that I choose, in the event there are additional issues discovered down the road that related to the accident (or during repair).

If you price out the bumpers between the one you have now and M-sport, is there any difference in cost? I would almost doubt it's material, if one exists, since you're having to replace the bumper either way (looks pretty banged up too me, as do the sensors)
Insurance companies don't "deal with the shop(s)"... they assess the damages, in some cases make a referral to a certified repair shop, then write a check payable either to you, the shop or both. The key is to take the car to a certified repair shop, that way if there are any "additional issues discovered down the road" then the reputation of the shop should make going back to the insurance company (the shop would likely do this themselves) easier.

@OP... sorry for the damage to your car, people suck. I just had a dashcam installed in my car for this very reason.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 06:08 AM   #5
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDG View Post
Insurance companies don't "deal with the shop(s)"... they assess the damages, in some cases make a referral to a certified repair shop, then write a check payable either to you, the shop or both. The key is to take the car to a certified repair shop, that way if there are any "additional issues discovered down the road" then the reputation of the shop should make going back to the insurance company (the shop would likely do this themselves) easier.

@OP... sorry for the damage to your car, people suck. I just had a dashcam installed in my car for this very reason.
At least with my carrier, they assess damages with an estimate, and the shop starts the repair. If additional damages are discovered later on or during repair, my carrier company covers the gap. So it's not as if that "first check they cut" is end game, but I suppose this is why some people pay more or less than others.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
NYM1
Rep
Drives: F30 335

The sensors seem to be working fine. Any suggestions on where I can purchase the M sport bumper (w/ the holes, PDC, etc)?

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #7
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYM1 View Post
The sensors seem to be working fine. Any suggestions on where I can purchase the M sport bumper (w/ the holes, PDC, etc)?

Thanks guys.
I've been watching this on evilbay ($300): http://www.ebay.com/itm/182010825902...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I heard they're good quality but I haven't used them myself
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #8
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post

if you have a lien (loan or leaseholder) i don't insurance will just cut you a check for you to cash. it will be made out to you and the repair shop of your choice.

Just order the part yourself or have the dealership order the part you want. You just pay the difference between the normal part and the other one. Been there done that - it's never been a problem.

It's how I got my black grills on my current car too.

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0