THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning AFe Scorcher Programmer

07-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

AFe Scorcher Programmer

I wanted to give my new 228i a little boost in power. Turner Motorsports claims this chip boosts hp by 38 and gives the exhaust a little better note. They say that it does not void the warranty and recommend removing it before any dealer servicing. It is a plug and play install and takes about 5-10 minutes. Any comments on this product.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 05:48 AM   #2
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Cost is $450, Is that a good price.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 07:06 AM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Ask BMWNA if it voids the warranty and see if you get the same answer.
Appreciate 2
      07-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #4
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott
I wanted to give my new 228i a little boost in power. Turner Motorsports claims this chip boosts hp by 38 and gives the exhaust a little better note. They say that it does not void the warranty and recommend removing it before any dealer servicing. It is a plug and play install and takes about 5-10 minutes. Any comments on this product.
I put it on my M235i and definitely noticed a difference. It's not huge but it pulls a bit harder in certain gears and at certain rpms. Plus, since it doesn't add that much boost, I am thinking it is less likely to cause other problems with the engine that might be more likely with a more aggressive tune. If you are just looking for a mild increase in power for a reasonable price, you can't go wrong with this tune.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #5
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Please post a question like this in this subforum next time. This is not a general 2 Series question; this is specific to a tuning product for a specific engine, which is what the subforum above is for.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 09:01 PM   #6
i8ur911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 228i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
There isn't an aftermarket part out there that "voids your warranty". In fact, it's against the law for a manufacturer to "void your warranty" just because you installed an aftermarket part.

With that being said, the Scorcher it's a cool product and definitely reliable. It's also very easy to install, so if you wanted to remove it prior to going to your dealer, it'll take roughly 15 minutes to do so.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 09:26 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
There isn't an aftermarket part out there that "voids your warranty". In fact, it's against the law for a manufacturer to "void your warranty" just because you installed an aftermarket part.
The installation is not the issue. An aftermarket part within the original specifications should not be a concern. But, if the behavior/operation of the aftermarket part varies from the OE specification, that is the issue. Tunes would fall into that category. If a non-OE part is installed which affects engine operation outside the original parameters, for example, and there is a subsequent engine related failure, the manufacturer may deny the warranty if they can demonstrate that the failure was related to the aftermarket part.

The engine part would have no impact on the failure of, for example, a strut, as it has no nexus. So, the potential loss of warranty of coverage is specific to a consequential effect, which the manufacturer has the burden to demonstrate. For everyone's information, please research the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Here is an excerpt from the FTC website. "Defective" may be defined as not meeting the OE specifications.

"Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage."
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #8
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Please post a question like this in this subforum next time. This is not a general 2 Series question; this is specific to a tuning product for a specific engine, which is what the subforum above is for.

Thank you.
Sorry, newbie here. I will do that next time. I am planning on selling the stock alloy wheels that were on my 228i. They are 18's as I have the Msport package. I swapped them for the M235 orbit grey rims. Where would I post them. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #9
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Sorry, newbie here. I will do that next time. I am planning on selling the stock alloy wheels that were on my 228i. They are 18's as I have the Msport package. I swapped them for the M235 orbit grey rims. Where would I post them. Thanks.
In the Wheels and Tires Items section of the Member Classifieds subforum. It is not 2 Series specific -- but the OEM wheels can be used on other BMW models, so your potential buyer pool will be larger.

Take a little time to note all of the subforums on 2Addicts. There are quite a few. A competing 2 Series/F22 forum doesn't have subforums -- and as a result, that forum is used far, far less than this one.

Welcome!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 08:55 PM   #10
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
In the Wheels and Tires Items section of the Member Classifieds subforum. It is not 2 Series specific -- but the OEM wheels can be used on other BMW models, so your potential buyer pool will be larger.

Take a little time to note all of the subforums on 2Addicts. There are quite a few. A competing 2 Series/F22 forum doesn't have subforums -- and as a result, that forum is used far, far less than this one.

Welcome!
Thank you, I really enjoy this site and the info is very valuable.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #11
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
That is what my mechanic advises. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 06:08 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nothing voids the warranty all together. Dealer might refuse to do a certain job because of your mods but he cant cancel your warranty.

A stage 1 tune like the AFE or BMS stage 1 can be removed in less than 5 minutes and dealer will not detect it.

Just remove it before your visit and you are good

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #13
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Much better choices out there

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #14
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Much better choices out there
Can you recommend any. I just want a modest boost in hp and a little better sound. What are your thoughts on a CAI.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #15
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Nothing voids the warranty all together. Dealer might refuse to do a certain job because of your mods but he cant cancel your warranty.

A stage 1 tune like the AFE or BMS stage 1 can be removed in less than 5 minutes and dealer will not detect it.

Just remove it before your visit and you are good
Please re-read post #7 on what may or may not happen for warranty coverage on specific related vs. unrelated parts with a modification. That post addresses the actual law. The warranty is adjudicated by the manufacturer. The dealer is only their agent. Trying to hide a modification is a separate issue and whether it makes someone "good" is a value judgement everyone will make for themselves.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0