F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Removal of dimming mirrors option
ARMA SPEED

07-10-2016, 03:31 AM   #1
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport/F30 320d Lux

Removal of dimming mirrors option

Hi All,

I have an April 2016 build F33 and I have realised that the option 430 has been changed from dimming mirrors to anti dazzle.

The difference is the passenger mirror is no longer aspheric photochromic, it is convex non photochromic. The drivers mirror remains aspheric photochromic.

I personally don't like the change as the mirrors don't look even at night.

I'm also taking this up with my dealership as I ordered option 430 dimming but received 430 anti dazzle.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethjonesuk View Post
Hi All,

I have an April 2016 build F33 and I have realised that the option 430 has been changed from dimming mirrors to anti dazzle.

The difference is the passenger mirror is no longer aspheric photochromic, it is convex non photochromic. The drivers mirror remains aspheric photochromic.

I'm also taking this up with my dealership as I ordered option 430 dimming but received 430 anti dazzle.
We may not like it when specification changes, (particularly when not in our favour) but BMW do have small print. Typically as below.

Quote:
Prices and specifications
BMW (UK) Limited reserves the right to alter prices and specifications without notice. BMW (UK) Limited has made every effort to ensure the accuracy of information but does not accept liability for any errors or omissions.
I'd hope your dealer will offer something in compensation, as a goodwill gesture, to help smooth the disappointment.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
Hi All,

We may not like it when specification changes, (particularly when not in our favour) but BMW do have small print. Typically as below.

Quote:
Prices and specifications
BMW (UK) Limited reserves the right to alter prices and specifications without notice. BMW (UK) Limited has made every effort to ensure the accuracy of information but does not accept liability for any errors or omissions.
I'd hope your dealer will offer something in compensation, as a goodwill gesture, to help smooth the disappointment.
BMW UK customer services said it was the responsibility of the dealership to pass on details of spec changes.

Dealership said they were unaware of the spec change at time of order or delivery. The service manager will see if it can be retrofitted or will reimburse the option cost.

I just think it's poor form that BMW do not have the facility to prevent options being selected during order being available at build. Change the spec that's fine but lock it to new orders.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
BMW UK customer services said it was the responsibility of the dealership to pass on details of spec changes.

Dealership said they were unaware of the spec change at time of order or delivery. The service manager will see if it can be retrofitted or will reimburse the option cost.

I just think it's poor form that BMW do not have the facility to prevent options being selected during order being available at build. Change the spec that's fine but lock it to new orders.
I agree it is the dealers who should be on the ball. Problem with some dealers, they don't keep up to date with all the info coming from BMW.

Car production is not a set in stone specification, its a continuously evolving process. Whether we see it always as product enhancement is debatable.

If we are on the receiving end of enhancements, say on long term orders, we can be the ones smiling. We have users who are getting next years enhancements, simply due to production dates, users who didn't expect to get them, so it is a two way street. We win some, we lose some.

I can't see how BMW can run and fix production simply on what we order months ahead, there has to be 'cut off' times to some manufacture and production. Hence the small print.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:

I agree it is the dealers who should be on the ball. Problem with some dealers, they don't keep up to date with all the info coming from BMW.

Car production is not a set in stone specification, its a continuously evolving process. Whether we see it always as product enhancement is debatable.

If we are on the receiving end of enhancements, say on long term orders, we can be the ones smiling. We have users who are getting next years enhancements, simply due to production dates, users who didn't expect to get them, so it is a two way street. We win some, we lose some.

I can't see how BMW can run and fix production simply on what we order months ahead, there has to be 'cut off' times to some manufacture and production. Hence the small print.
I accept that builds are always evolving but when a car build is locked in on the system surely the build spec should be locked too. Therefore a buyer is aware of what they are getting, IF this changes during production then there should be a process to make the customer aware.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #6
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

I think this happened across the board for all productions.
      07-11-2016, 10:47 PM   #7
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis
I think this happened across the board for all productions.
I think you are right, but why?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 04:31 AM   #8
JJS
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport

Well, a funny thing happened when I took my 335i in for a warranty extension check-up, which included a full software update. Up until then, I never understood how the standard auto-dimming mirrors worked. For some bizarre reason, they left the factory coded off; permanently. You obviously don't miss what you never had.

Then, just yesterday after washing the car and parking into my garage with a rather harsh sunlight reflecting off my neighbour's house opposite mine, I noticed the dark tint in my mirrors, flanked by a thin rim of un-tinted glass. It quickly dawned on me that the software update restored the full specification of my F31.

How cool is that. I wonder if I should ask for compensation for missing this factory option for the first three years of ownership.
| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #9
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS View Post
Well, a funny thing happened when I took my 335i in for a warranty extension check-up, which included a full software update. Up until then, I never understood how the standard auto-dimming mirrors worked. For some bizarre reason, they left the factory coded off; permanently. You obviously don't miss what you never had.

Then, just yesterday after washing the car and parking into my garage with a rather harsh sunlight reflecting off my neighbour's house opposite mine, I noticed the dark tint in my mirrors, flanked by a thin rim of un-tinted glass. It quickly dawned on me that the software update restored the full specification of my F31.

How cool is that. I wonder if I should ask for compensation for missing this factory option for the first three years of ownership.
Wait, so you can recode the functionality back in?
      07-13-2016, 02:55 AM   #10
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS

It's really effective at night and a great option in my addition. I doubt you will get compensation though.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 03:01 AM   #11
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS View Post

Wait, so you can recode the functionality back in?
Only if you have the wiring and photochromic mirror
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 10:11 AM   #12
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah, got it, so I'd have to replace the mirror to do that.
      07-14-2016, 01:15 AM   #13
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ah, got it, so I'd have to replace the mirror to do that.
And have the necessary wiring within the harness
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 04:49 AM   #14
JJS
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
It's really effective at night and a great option in my addition. I doubt you will get compensation though.
Yes, I know. It's a revelation. I knew my car was equipped with it, but never figured how it worked. Now I know.
| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 09:24 PM   #15
Cy NC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I

Adjustments to Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment to how much the rear view mirror dims? Most of the time it does look like it is dimming at all. Other times I can tell it has dimmed because it looks like the Green Hornet is behind me.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 02:46 AM   #16
paulr202000
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 430d gran coupe

glad I found this thread as I was just about to take my car back to the dealer as I picked it up yesterday (2017 430d GC) and noticed when I got home that the mirrors don't match was thinking the previous owner had broke the glass and just fitted a cheaper standard one but now know its just bmw being cheap!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 02:57 AM   #17
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
This has to be a where can we save some money but still charge the customer type change made by some bods in charge of money. Personally I think it looks crap having one mirror that dims, luckily I have an older car where both mirrorsdim.
Appreciate 0