E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP replaced and car limped all the way home

07-10-2016, 11:29 PM   #1
Sergio
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i x-drive 2009

HPFP replaced and car limped all the way home

Guys,

My HPFP was replaced for a 2nd time. Part No they used was 13517616170.

The dealer did a great job to take me same day for job on a Friday, and complete work. the part and labor was covered by BMW extended warranty of 10 years or 120000 miles.

I picked up car after closing of service department. The car started well for 3 minutes, then fell to limp mode all the way home. It stalled 5-6 times......

Anyone go through a similar experience after a new HPFP install?

It seems when codes are cleared, car runs smooth.

My car = 335 x-drive 2009 with 77000 miles.

I need to get a BMW scan tool to read codes.....

Thanks
Sergio
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I went through the same thing but this was a LOOOOOONG time ago, maybe late 2008. I remember thinking how incompetent the dealership is, that I could literally start my car to leave, and get that. I was yelling in the dealership, I think that was only 1/2 times that happened. They then started poking around in the trunk looking to see if the IBS sensor was bad, blah blah blah.....

Honestly, take a step back, chill, and let them fix it again, take their loaner, and tell them not to give you the car back until they are sure it's good. No need to get upset (easier said than done, but easy to say when you're a 3rd party and not the owner that this happened to). Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 11:18 PM   #3
Sergio
Private
Canada
Rep

John, I just towed the car back to the dealer tonight. I will not push them too hard. I will give them another chance to find the root cause, and they better do a full test drive before they hand car back to me.

Take care!
Sergio

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I went through the same thing but this was a LOOOOOONG time ago, maybe late 2008. I remember thinking how incompetent the dealership is, that I could literally start my car to leave, and get that. I was yelling in the dealership, I think that was only 1/2 times that happened. They then started poking around in the trunk looking to see if the IBS sensor was bad, blah blah blah.....

Honestly, take a step back, chill, and let them fix it again, take their loaner, and tell them not to give you the car back until they are sure it's good. No need to get upset (easier said than done, but easy to say when you're a 3rd party and not the owner that this happened to). Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
John, I just towed the car back to the dealer tonight. I will not push them too hard. I will give them another chance to find the root cause, and they better do a full test drive before they hand car back to me.

Take care!
Sergio
Good luck! I have told myself over the years, it's only a car, things can be solved...just very frustrating when brand new....heck this guy on YouTube fought Porsche to buyback his 2013 991.1 911 Carrera S, because it had so many problems....as long as they give you a loaner, let them take their time....
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 05:53 AM   #5
Sergio
Private
Canada
Rep

ok the results are in, here is their conclusion:
* the gas is bad, maybe some water
* they also noticed some sludge in gas tank at bottom

Action they suggest:
* complete clean-out of gas tank
* replace fuel pump
* replace fuel filter
* do not change fuel injectors - wait and see
* get the big gas company to pay for damages
* get lab tests on gas sample they kept aside - may need this to fight the big gas boys

The total cost for all this in CAD
* 890$ CAD for fuel pump
* 4 hours of labour @139$ CAD per hour
* Expecting a total bill of ~1109USD (1146 CAD)

Here are some pictures of their findings:

I talked to a friend BMW mechanic, and he did confirm that it does happen (not happen), and when it does, the owner usually gets refunded by gas companies since they have insurance for these type of issues if well proven.

Hope this info can help someone else if it happens...I wish it does not happen to anyone.....

Take care
Sergio
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #6
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

WTF!!!!

where do you gas up so I avoid the station(s)
I from MTL also
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 08:02 PM   #7
blackturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Please don't tell me that's shell
Appreciate 0