E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is BMW offering any incentives to customers with cars that have Takata airbags?

07-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
bman5150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport (sold)

Is BMW offering any incentives to customers with cars that have Takata airbags?

BMW is currently spending about $2000/ month on my replacement rental. It got me thinking....wouldn't it be more cost efficient to simply authorize hefty incentives to get those customers to trade in their Takata airbag-equipped BMWs for new BMWs? I mean, it could even be a win-win situation where they sell a car but mitigate or cap their rental car expenses.
      07-12-2016, 10:05 PM   #2
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

No.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

It doesn't work like that. Although I really wish it could
      07-12-2016, 11:29 PM   #4
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

How did you get a rental for the airbag recall?
Are you legitimately wortied about the yout airbag being defective?
Do you think they'll expedite your airbag recall because you have a rental?
Did you have much trouble getting them to cover your rental?
I assume you're not allowed to drive your car as long as you have the rental?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 05:09 AM   #5
jhah135
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
BMW is currently spending about $2000/ month on my replacement rental. It got me thinking....wouldn't it be more cost efficient to simply authorize hefty incentives to get those customers to trade in their Takata airbag-equipped BMWs for new BMWs? I mean, it could even be a win-win situation where they sell a car but mitigate or cap their rental car expenses.
I got offered only $2K above book. Wasn't worth it for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 07:08 AM   #6
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
How did you get a rental for the airbag recall?
Are you legitimately wortied about the yout airbag being defective?
Do you think they'll expedite your airbag recall because you have a rental?
Did you have much trouble getting them to cover your rental?
I assume you're not allowed to drive your car as long as you have the rental?
Just email your dealership if you're interested in a rental. I did that and they set up an appointment for a few days later. I signed some paperwork and Enterprise came and picked me up. I had to go back to the dealership when my girlfriend got home from work so I could drive my car back home. And you're not allowed to drive it though I don't know what they'll say if you do.

I guess there's a chance it will expedite your airbag repair so they don't have to continue to pay for the rental.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 07:19 AM   #7
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Again what I have taken away from all of this, is that I fully intend on buying another BMW, or a Honda. And I have never liked Honda. But the way that these two car companies have behaved throughout the Takata thing is stellar. It makes cos. like VW/Audi, MB, Toyota, look pretty bad. imho BMW cares hugely about their image...it's a shame they wouldn't do that, while caring just as much about the cars they build today...

I worked backwards and built a spreadsheet of all the fuel ups and mpgs etc. on the 328 x drive, by looking at credit card statements and pics I always take of the odometer when filling up. Think I"ve put something like 115 gal. into the loaner/rental so far, drove nearly 3k. Do the math, pretty sweet mpgs. But I hate driving an auto (beggars can't be choosers), even trying to use sport mode and the paddles. Seems like a total gimmick...

About being not allowed to drive your car, you're allowed to drive it to and from the dealership and to and from storage. So again, who's to say what that mileage is? Is it 100? 200? 300? maybe 5,000? Unlikely. imho the idea is for you to not take the rental, use it, and then give your car to someone else, and they use it. Now you have two cars you're using as a result--that's not what the rental was intended for.

edit: There truly seems to be no info whatsoever on repairs. The latest post was early July and seemed to say that person heard next year, and not even end of Feb. which is what I thought was a hard deadline for something to happen per the NHTSA....
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #8
bman5150
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies. I called my dealer last night and a service advisor said they should start receiving replacement air bags in late August or September. We'll see. It is a shame bmw can't figure out a way to incentivize some new car sales with a trade of the old one with the bad airbags. I'd seriously consider this option as I personally don't believe I'll be getting a replacement airbag until the end of the year at the earliest. We'll see. Hope I'm wrong.

As far as the rental, I just emailed my Service Advisor and she set me up with a rental. Before I stopped driving my car, I bought a battery tender and ran fuel stabilizer in the car for 50 miles. I've been able to atart it once a week to move it out of the garage no problem.

I'm driving a Chrysler 200c. Apologies to anyone that owns this car but what a boring crappy-driving car. If there is a more confused automatic transmission on the market, I certainly have never seen it! At least it gets crazy good mileage. Should though with that buzzy little underpowered 4 cylinder!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 07:54 AM   #9
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I called my dealer last night and a service advisor said they should start receiving replacement air bags in late August or September. We'll see. It is a shame bmw can't figure out a way to incentivize some new car sales with a trade of the old one with the bad airbags. I'd seriously consider this option as I personally don't believe I'll be getting a replacement airbag until the end of the year at the earliest. We'll see. Hope I'm wrong.

As far as the rental, I just emailed my Service Advisor and she set me up with a rental. Before I stopped driving my car, I bought a battery tender and ran fuel stabilizer in the car for 50 miles. I've been able to atart it once a week to move it out of the garage no problem.

I'm driving a Chrysler 200c. Apologies to anyone that owns this car but what a boring crappy-driving car. If there is a more confused automatic transmission on the market, I certainly have never seen it! At least it gets crazy good mileage. Should though with that buzzy little underpowered 4 cylinder!
Just curious, did you ask for a BMW? Seems like much of the fleet are 328i x drives, imho better than "Maximas" or "Grand Cherokees," but not x5's, for me, probably better than x3....getting a 200c is pretty lousy, a 300 would be better except for the fuel...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #10
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep

Quote:

I feel the same way about my 2016 Malibu LT rental.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 08:04 AM   #11
bman5150
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Just curious, did you ask for a BMW? Seems like much of the fleet are 328i x drives, imho better than "Maximas" or "Grand Cherokees," but not x5's, for me, probably better than x3....getting a 200c is pretty lousy, a 300 would be better except for the fuel...
I didn't ask for anything other than a "rental". I didnt say or request a BMW or even a loaner. I bought my car CPO from another dealer so maybe that's why I didn't get a loaner BMW. Or maybe it's because I really didn't ask, lol!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I didn't ask for anything other than a "rental". I didnt say or request a BMW or even a loaner. I bought my car CPO from another dealer so maybe that's why I didn't get a loaner BMW. Or maybe it's because I really didn't ask, lol!
Seriously, I think it's because you didn't ask...

My car is a '07 which yes I did buy new, but I got the 328i from a dealer near my work, not the one where I bought it from...

I asked if I could get something better (all between you and Enterprise), but the Enterprise guy said all the BMWs were rented out. When I went back month 3 to redo the paperwork, I did see only 1 328i on the lot that was ready to go out.

Hey, it's worth asking--I don't mind the 328i very much at all. If the fix takes much longer than what you were told, you'll be happier in the 328 over the 200! (I do know the BMW costs them $64.99 vs. I think it was $44.99 for non-BMW, so maybe the dealer has an incentive to have then loan something non-BMW?)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:14 AM   #13
bman5150
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, at the very least I'm going to see if I can upgrade at Enterprise at some point. There has to be better options than what I'm currently driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #14
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Well, at the very least I'm going to see if I can upgrade at Enterprise at some point. There has to be better options than what I'm currently driving.
Think positively...someone had I forget what, got a flat tire, went back to get a new car, and then was given an X5!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 10:24 AM   #15
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Seriously, I think it's because you didn't ask...

My car is a '07 which yes I did buy new, but I got the 328i from a dealer near my work, not the one where I bought it from...

I asked if I could get something better (all between you and Enterprise), but the Enterprise guy said all the BMWs were rented out. When I went back month 3 to redo the paperwork, I did see only 1 328i on the lot that was ready to go out.

Hey, it's worth asking--I don't mind the 328i very much at all. If the fix takes much longer than what you were told, you'll be happier in the 328 over the 200! (I do know the BMW costs them $64.99 vs. I think it was $44.99 for non-BMW, so maybe the dealer has an incentive to have then loan something non-BMW?)
I asked for a BMW. The enterprise I had to go through has a terrible selection. They don't have any BMW's available and haven't had any, according to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 07:05 PM   #16
riczon.335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

I have had my Enterprise Rental since May I have driven the following and yes I really have swapped this many rentals poor E92 is sitting in the garage hooked up to a battery tender.

2015 Kia Optima
2016 Dodge Dart
2015 Nissan Sentra
2015 Chrysler 200

Current Rental: 2016 Chevy Impala
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 07:14 PM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riczon.335i View Post
I have had my Enterprise Rental since May I have driven the following and yes I really have swapped this many rentals poor E92 is sitting in the garage hooked up to a battery tender.

2015 Kia Optima
2016 Dodge Dart
2015 Nissan Sentra
2015 Chrysler 200

Optima, Dart, Sentra???!

Tell them you refuse to drive a peasant's car!! (And 3/4 were '15's!)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #18
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
It is a shame bmw can't figure out a way to incentivize some new car sales with a trade of the old one with the bad airbags.

The dilemma created by such a program, if it were to be offered...
  1. BMW sells a new car to dealer, dealer sells it to you, you get a new car.
  2. BMW dealer takes your old car, stuck with a car they cannot resell until they fix airbag, tying up the trade in allowance on your old car. and tying up their money!
  3. If BMW NA gives wholesale value to dealer for your old car, and takes over possession of the old car, they tie up money and have a massive auto storage problem until they can manage to fix the airbag...but BMW NA has no direct service organization, so
  4. ...so BMW NA resells the old car to a dealer at wholesale, dealer fixes the airbag, dealer finds a used car buyer.
  5. by staying out of the process (eliminating step 3) overhead associated with BMW NA buying and storing and reselling the car is eliminated, but dealers have massive used car storage problem!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #19
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riczon.335i View Post

2015 Kia Optima
2016 Dodge Dart
2015 Nissan Sentra
2015 Chrysler 200

How's the impala? Have you just gone in to Enterprise and asked for a different car?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 08:50 PM   #20
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I drove my car for the better of 9 years and 10 months never knowing the airbag has a minute chance of malfunctioning and putting shrapnel in my head. I'd drive my high-mileage E90 any day over any rental BMW would give me to drive.

More people need to ride motorcycles so they take responsibility for their driving abilities.

Peace out.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:16 PM   #21
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I drove my car for the better of 9 years and 10 months never knowing the airbag has a minute chance of malfunctioning and putting shrapnel in my head. I'd drive my high-mileage E90 any day over any rental BMW would give me to drive.

More people need to ride motorcycles so they take responsibility for their driving abilities.

Peace out.
What this has made me wonder about, especially for those of us who keep our cars. My Nissan is 18 1/2 yrs old. It has a disclaimer that the airbags must be inspected every 10 yrs. who really does that, a side airbag module is $800, multiply This number by the number of airbags.

It is probable that one is better off with a 10 yo car having disabled airbags, as it crosses the ten yr Mark.

Sorry, but you are off with your responsibility statement.

Your thinking is aligned with MB. In their faqs they state death to the driver and occupants is possible due to the Takata airbag recall. On the same page, they state loaners are unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 10:46 PM   #22
Kevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Alpine White 6MT

I would rather die in my e90 than drive any of those pieces of crap
Appreciate 0