THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing First time out! Blackhawk Farms Raceway

07-13-2016, 10:55 PM   #1
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
First time out! Blackhawk Farms Raceway

Today after being on this forum for years... Going from a 325xi to a 335xi and now into a m235i, I finally got on a race track. Blackhawk Farms Raceway in South Beloit, IL. It was definitely a great experience and will be doing this again.

I got to admit it was rather intimidating when I got there and saw a cayman gt4, Ferrari 588, m3 (with like every possible mod on it), etc. Then I started to talk to people, everyone was awesome and super helpful. If you're on the fence about doing something like this I say DO IT!!! You won't regret it.

I have an m235i w/ jb4, bms intake, fabspeed muffler bypass, Dinan springs/ride quality kit, and 19in VMR 710s w/ Michelin PSS.

The car held up great! A friend of mine was running everything stock except Dinan springs/ride quality kit and it also did great.

If you're in the southern WI/northern IL area shoot me a pm. I'd be happy to go with other people on here
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 10:56 PM   #2
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Sorry my phone only lets me put 1 picture at a time
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 12:09 AM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335sRus View Post
Today after being on this forum for years... Going from a 325xi to a 335xi and now into a m235i, I finally got on a race track. Blackhawk Farms Raceway in South Beloit, IL. It was definitely a great experience and will be doing this again.

I got to admit it was rather intimidating when I got there and saw a cayman gt4, Ferrari 588, m3 (with like every possible mod on it), etc. Then I started to talk to people, everyone was awesome and super helpful. If you're on the fence about doing something like this I say DO IT!!! You won't regret it.

I have an m235i w/ jb4, bms intake, fabspeed muffler bypass, Dinan springs/ride quality kit, and 19in VMR 710s w/ Michelin PSS.

The car held up great! A friend of mine was running everything stock except Dinan springs/ride quality kit and it also did great.

If you're in the southern WI/northern IL area shoot me a pm. I'd be happy to go with other people on here
How did the front tire shoulders end up? Those PSS tend to get killed with stock camber
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 06:56 AM   #4
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:

How did the front tire shoulders end up? Those PSS tend to get killed with stock camber
They were new so they held up ok. Those little Michelin guys on the brim of the tire definitely rubbed off. My instructor said to look out for these little Michelin guys on the edge of the tire, if the rubbed off it was rolling over too much. By the end of my 3rd session the little Michelin guys were gone. Car definitely needs camber plates next.

Here's a picture of what he was talking about....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 04:49 PM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
They were new so they held up ok. Those little Michelin guys on the brim of the tire definitely rubbed off. My instructor said to look out for these little Michelin guys on the edge of the tire, if the rubbed off it was rolling over too much. By the end of my 3rd session the little Michelin guys were gone. Car definitely needs camber plates next.

Here's a picture of what he was talking about....
Yes, do you have a picture like that from your actual tire after the session
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
This is what they look like now
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 11:04 PM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
not so bad....
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 11:05 PM   #8
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:
not so bad....
Good! I wasn't sure what to think of it... I just saw the Michelin guys gone and knew that wasn't a good sign
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 02:21 AM   #9
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Good! I wasn't sure what to think of it... I just saw the Michelin guys gone and knew that wasn't a good sign
Well... it's not good...but it's not so bad .... at least you still have the Michelin lettering
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 06:39 AM   #10
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
By the end of my 3rd session the little Michelin guys were gone. Car definitely needs camber plates next.
My Michelin guy was gone on my fronts after my first session.. lol. Rears held up though.

FWIW, I'm running ~37-38 psi cold all around.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:45 PM   #11
i8ur911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 228i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
My Michelin guy was gone on my fronts after my first session.. lol. Rears held up though.

FWIW, I'm running ~37-38 psi cold all around.
I would recommend 37-38 for hot psi. If you're staying at 37-38 cold, the pressures are likely above 40 during the session (hot psi). This is too hot for the tire and likely seems very greasy once this high.

Do you leave the TPMS screen up during the session? I do this and monitor pressures.....then check them with my tire pressure gauge once in the paddock.
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      08-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #12
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335sRus
MPSS after just a couple of track days. I went to a square setup - Hancook 245/40/17. The ultimate grip feels a bit less than the MPSS, but they wear like iron.
Attached Images

08-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #13
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Quote:

Great work!

Looking at doing the Milwaukee Mile this Thursday and following it up with Blackhawk Farms this weekend (Shelby Club). I haven't been out this season so really looking forward to it. Hopefully we'll see you out there.
Your tires look great for no camber plates
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #14
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper83
Quote:

Great work!

Looking at doing the Milwaukee Mile this Thursday and following it up with Blackhawk Farms this weekend (Shelby Club). I haven't been out this season so really looking forward to it. Hopefully we'll see you out there.
Well the tires only had a few hundred miles before that. I'm going to hold off on track events until next year when I have the car set up with some camber plates. Although they held up this time I'm worried they won't hold up long if I keep pushing it. Otherwise I would've definitely been interested in joining you. Let's make it happen next year! Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 07:12 AM   #15
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great work!

Well the tires only had a few hundred miles before that. I'm going to hold off on track events until next year when I have the car set up with some camber plates. Although they held up this time I'm worried they won't hold up long if I keep pushing it. Otherwise I would've definitely been interested in joining you. Let's make it happen next year! Have fun!
Why not install M3 LCAs instead of camber plates? They will give you 1.8 degrees of negative camber. Simple install too.
      08-27-2016, 09:34 PM   #16
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great work!

Why not install M3 LCAs instead of camber plates? They will give you 1.8 degrees of negative camber. Simple install too.
I'm concerned my wheels might not fit with m3 LCA. I think another member on here had a similar issue with the same wheels and ended up having to get coilovers to make it work? That car was lowered on hr springs and I'm on dinan so it might still work for me. I'll be looking into it, if anyone has any insight on that Id be happy to hear you out.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 01:16 AM   #17
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just out of curiosity what kind of times were you guys running?

I don't blame you for waiting on camber plates. If you need help with camber plate install let me know. I'm pretty much an "expert" at it now.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 06:54 AM   #18
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Just out of curiosity what kind of times were you guys running?

I don't blame you for waiting on camber plates. If you need help with camber plate install let me know. I'm pretty much an "expert" at it now.
Michelin PSS, and I'll prob take you up on that camber plate install. I'll prob get em near spring next year. Debating on m performance LSD currently and waiting on my DP to get here to install it along with the CP, and Intercooler sitting in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 01:10 AM   #19
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Michelin PSS, and I'll prob take you up on that camber plate install. I'll prob get em near spring next year. Debating on m performance LSD currently and waiting on my DP to get here to install it along with the CP, and Intercooler sitting in my garage.
I meant lap times, not tires
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 07:58 AM   #20
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I meant lap times, not tires
Lol I somehow read tires instead of times.

Me and my buddy were running on the lower side of 1:30s as long as we didn't get stuck behind someone in a no passing zone.
My best was 1:30.88, don't remember his best but it was similar.
Appreciate 0